Status: Active

Another World

The Beginning Part 1

"Ugh," Kate grunted as she struggled with taking out a box from the trunk of the car we rented. "You know you can help me any time you're ready, Val."

I looked at my best friend who almost tripped as she unsteadily headed for the stoop. "I have my own problems here!" I called out as I tried using my knee to support the box I was holding.

"Dammit, this was a bad idea," She stated, her breath becoming heavy as she put down the box on the steps that led to our new apartment. "We should've hired someone."

"Oh so you have money coming out of your ass?" I asked sarcastically, letting the box fall on the steps next to her.

Kate jumped a little as it fell with a thud. She sat down and took a deep breath. "No."

"We have no choice but if you ask me, we're doing a pretty good job without anyone."

She looked at me and thought about it. "I guess you can say that. For two girls at least."

"And just think, the sooner we finish, the sooner we get to eat."

She laughed but nodded in agreement as I walked back to the car to take out more boxes. "Why are these so damn heavy?" She asked.

"Probably because you brought useless shit to London."

Kate and I used to live in New York City but I got an amazing offer to be a teachers assistant here in London while Kate came along to pursue her own career as a journalist. Of course our parents were iffy about the whole daughters-moving-to-a-foreign-country-at-eighteen thing but they knew that we should be able to make our own decisions - and mistakes - as long as we call as much as possible.

"Why are you assuming that's my shit and not yours?" Kate asked sitting back down again.

I moved a piece of hair that escaped my bun and huffed as I failed to pick the biggest box up.

"Because, fuck you that's why."

She threw a nearby pebble at me.

I shot her a glare. "Now I could use some help if you don't mind, Kate!"

She huffed and got up. "I just needed a little break."

"This box is really heavy." I told her.

"Okay let's try to put it over there," She pointed her chin to the stairs, putting her hands on one side and so did I.

"Ready?" I asked. "One."

"Two." She continued.

"Three." We said in unison and tried to quickly pick up the box.

"Go, go, go!" She called out as we rushed to the steps. I sped walked backwards. "Watch out for the-"

My foot hit something hard causing me to trip and fall along with Kate and the box.

Footsteps got closer to us as we groaned on the floor.

"Are you ladies alright?" A concerned voice asked.

I looked up and saw two good looking guys with their hands on their knees. One of them caught my attention as we locked eyes. His golden brown eyes sparkling every time he switched his glance from Kate to me. He held his hand out for me as the other good looking fellow did so for Kate.

I reached for his hand and got up, quickly fixing my capri sweatpants.

"Thanks." I finally blurted out.

He gave me a smile which showed his perfectly white teeth and tongue peeking out. "You're welcome. I'm Zayn," He held out his hand again. "Welcome to London, the place where you have to watch your step or else situations like this occur." He chuckled at his little joke.

I chuckled as well and shook his hand. "I'm Valarie." I looked at Kate who had the same expression on her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bare with us guys, we know the first couple of chapters aren't that great but we promise you that it gets way better - Caris. xx