He Won't Go

Chapter 1: The break-up.

It was 2000 and Daniel James Heatley was only a mere few weeks away from being drafted into the NHL, while his girlfriend Nicole was on her way to College in Ottawa for Journalism. The two had been inseparable since they had met in the second grade, Nicole could recall the very first moment when she laid eyes on Dany. She was being picked on by some older boys when Dany came along stopped them from picking on her further.

A lot had happened since they were in the second grade. Dany and Nicole had always harboured feelings for one another throughout junior high and high school but every time one of them turned their back for 5 seconds the other was in a relationship. It was the summer before senior year when they finally had the opportunity to be in a loving and romantic relationship with each other. Nicole had been seeing a boy named Brandon for about 6 months when the relationship turned abusive, and it was only 2 months after that when Dany had found out and decided he was going to take matters into his own hands.

Dany grew tired of seeing Nicole covered in bruises that she couldn’t explain anymore, the excuses were always the same she fell down, she slipped. Dany knew Nicole well enough to know that she wasn’t that clumsy. In their friendship of many years he might have seen Lucy fall down all but twice and both times was when she was wearing skates.

Dany hardly ever resorted of physical violence but when it came to keeping his best friend safe and out of harm’s way he would have done pretty much anything. Nicole had begged Dany not to fight and she promised him that she would break up with Brandon as soon as she had the chance. Once Nicole and Brandon were broke up, it seemed that he wouldn’t leave her alone and unfortunately for Brandon he had put his hands on Nicole one too many times. If it wasn’t for Nicole, Dany possibly could have crossed a line where he could have seriously injured Brandon.
A mere three weeks later Nicole and Dany were happily together and their senior year was just around the corner. As the draft was approaching, so was graduation and the couple managed to go most of the year without talking about what was going to happen to them once Dany was drafted and Nicole was living in Ottawa full time.
“Hey Cole.” A sweaty Dany walked calmly into his girlfriend’s bedroom and Jumped on her bed and placed his hands behind his bed with his legs crossed.

A smile grew across Nicole’s pretty face when she heard Dany call her Cole. He was the only person in her life that called her Cole, everyone else insisted on calling her Nicky, Nic or Nicole. “Hi, how was your work out?”
Nicole had been trying for weeks now to ignore the fact that they were going to break up and go their separate ways very soon after high school. It was August when Nicole was set to go to Ottawa and start her University Career and Dany was going to have to move before that. Everything was beginning to eat away at Nicole and she wasn’t sure how much longer she was going to be able to keep everything in. Even though they were perfect for one another it didn’t stop them from having arguments that could put world war one to shame. They would scream, and yell and occasionally throw things and Nicole knew that was how the conversation of them breaking up was probably going to end up. In one huge argument.
“Is there something wrong?” Dany could see the worry written all over her face, he had seen it for weeks now and he was no longer able to ignore that there was something bothering his girlfriend.

“I was just thinking about graduation and what is going to happen afterwards.” Nicole forced a smile onto her pretty face as she walked towards the bed, and took a seat next to Dany.

“You mean us?”

Dany wrapped his arm around Nicole’s waist and pulled her in close to him. She led down with her head against his shoulder and her leg draped around his. This was where she wanted to stay forever, in his arms happily and where she had fallen asleep too so many times before.

“Nicole, you know I am going to love you for the rest of my life. A little distance isn’t going to tear us apart.”
In Nicole’s mind it really didn’t matter what he was saying to her, she knew that the only way their relationship was going to end would for it to end in a break up. Nicole was stubborn when it involved her feelings for Dany, she cared so much for him that she figured he couldn’t possibly care for her as much as she loved him. Nic had seen him have so many girls, and girlfriends she knew how little he cared for most of them, of course he treated her differently but there was always the doubt in the back of her mind.

“Dany you know that we have to break up.” Nicole spoke softly.

“No. Nicole, please don’t talk like that.” Daniel had loved Nicole since when he first laid eyes on her long blonde curly hair that ended at the middle of her back. He had never really cared for the girls that came in and out of his life because the only person he ever loved was Nicole. The way she was always able to make the best out of every situation and she was painfully nice to everyone she would meet. And the fact that Nicole was unable to think positivity about their relationship killed him.

“You going to be drafted first or second, and I am not going to be able to hold you back in a brand new city, with new people and girls climbing all over you. You deserve to experience this while you’re single. Danny, you are going to sign a huge contract and make lots of money and I don’t expect you to be 19 years old making millions of dollars and not want to party.”

“You think there is someone out there better for me then you are? Because I don’t, I think you’re crazy.”

“Dany, you know it’s true. Even if you don’t want to find a girlfriend you are going to want to sleep with one of the girls and it’s not fair for me to except you to stay faithful to me.”

Dany paused and thought about what she said. The words sank in and he moved from the position he was lying in, Nicole fell back on the bed and quickly sat up as she watched Dany walk towards the door.

“Where are you going!?” She asked as she pushed herself to the side of the bed and planted her feet on the cold hardwood of her bedroom.

“You don’t think I can stay faithful do you? That’s why you want to break up. “ Dany said calmly as he looked into her eyes.

“Dany, I know you love me. You prove that to me every day, in your words and in your actions. You would never intentionally hurt me, I know that.”

“So then what? Why will we HAVE to break up?” Dany’s voice was becoming louder with every word he was speaking.

“When you are out after a win, and have had a few beers and your teammates are leaving one by one with hot girls, you’re not going to want to join them? Because I’m sure you will.”

“I can’t believe you!” Dany yelled, it seemed like the moment the words were out of his mouth he was already halfway down the stairs.

“DANIEL JAMES HEATLEY, WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING?” Nicole yelled as she followed him down the stairs.

“You wanted to break up, here it is.” The door slammed behind him, and Nicole fell to her knees.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a story that I had written before, but I deleted it because I was not at all satisfied with the overall out come of the story. So here it is again, with minor changes. Also, Please leave comments or send me messages about what you like/dislike about the story! Thanks so much.