He Won't Go

Chapter 2: Graduation.

“Look at how grown up you both are.” Laurie gushed over her 18 year old daughter how was dressed up in her cap and gown for graduation. “You both look beautiful” Laurie said with a smile on her face as she walked up behind the two girls, Nicole and her best friend Peyton.

“Thanks mom.” Nicole turned and gave her mom and kiss on the cheek.

“Love you.” Peyton said as she gave Laurie a huge hug.
Peyton’s mother had left her and her father just a bit after her 5th birthday and when the girls had met Laurie had become like Peyton’s second mother. Peyton was pretty much allowed to sleep over whenever she felt like, Laurie had practically raised Peyton.

“I remember when you guys were 5 and running around the house like little terrors and now you guys are gone off to college in a few months.” Laurie was highly emotional, especially when it came to happy things. She was always crying, and making a scene but Peyton and Nicole wouldn’t have it any other way. Laurie always maintained a good relationship with both girls. She was able to be mothering but not over bearing and always gave both girls good advice when it came to dating.

“Mom, stop it. No crying.” Nicole said as she shook her head in dismay. Nicole was always more closed off when it came to her feelings; she hardly ever cried or showed weakness in front of people.

“Leave your mom alone, she’s sad to see her two girls grow up.”

Even Nicole was feeling a bit sentimental about leaving high school behind. She unlike most teenagers had a very good high school experience. She managed to stay away from most of the drama that seemed to follow most teenagers throughout their high school career, she had maintained her friendship with her best friend and lucky for the two of them they ended up surviving high school unlike many of the friendships Nicole watched break apart.

“Let’s just be happy and plan on having the best summer together you guys!” Nicole said cheerfully, with a pearly white smile wiping across her face.

“So, Nicky what is happening between you and Daniel?”
Just hearing his name brought up had caused a stir of emotions in Nicole. She and Dany had spoken once since they had broke up and Nicole still had a bunch of his clothes, and hockey medals, and jerseys and equipment she had to give back to him before they both went their separate ways.

“We decided that we are going to break-up.” Nicole said with a frown developing at the corner of her lips.

“So tonight is going to be really awkward, is that what you’re saying?” Peyton asked with her eyebrow cocked and her head slightly leaning to the right.

“Basically, yes.” Nicole retorted quickly.

There was a silent moment, but it was broken by the sound of Nicole’s day Bryan standing at the bedroom door. “If you gorgeous girls don’t get a move on soon you will all be late.”
“What about the presents? We haven’t given them their gifts yet!” Laurie panicked as she walked out of the room, and Bryan followed her down the hall way.

“You girls meet us down stairs.”

Nicole and Peyton sat on the couch downstairs as both girls awaited their gifts from Laurie and Bryan. Although Peyton wasn’t technically their child, she might as well have been. They fed her, cared for her, made her do her homework. They were more her parents then her Mom and father had ever been. It was no shock to either girl that Nicole’s parents went out of their way to get something for both of the girls.

“Nicole, Peyton close your eyes.”

They both heard the light footsteps entering the family room and sat with their hands covering their eyes, Nicole was trying to peek but all she could make out was the vague outline of her mother and father standing 6 feet away.

“Open.” Laurie spoke softly.

“Peyton we will start with you first. Even though you’re not our daughter, we love you as if you were. You’ve always been there for Nic, and have always brought a smile to our face.” Bryan said with a smile across his face.
“We know your father was only able to play the tuition for University and having spending money is going to be really hard on you so we wanted to help you out.” Lauren said as she walked towards Peyton and handed her an envelope.

Nicole watched intently and quietly as she waited for Peyton to open up the envelope. Nicole had already been informed of what Peyton would be getting for her graduating gift and she knew that Peyton would not have expected such a gift.
Tears filled Peyton’s eyes as she looked at Laurie and Bryan. “Thank you so much. I – I never thought.” She stopped there, she became speechless as she jumped up and wrapped her arms around both Laurie and Bryan. “$5,000 is a lot. I can’t take this.”

“NICOLE, DO NOT SAY THAT. TAKE THE MONEY YOU FOOL” Nicole laughed.
“Now, Nicole follow me.” Her father Bryan spoke with such authority, Nicole jumped out of her seat and followed her father.
In her driveway was a brand new Red Chevrolet Silverado with a pretty red bow sitting on top. Nicole had been begging for a Silverado for months and months and her parents kept telling her that a new car had to be eared and it wasn’t given.
“DADDY, MOMMY! THANK YOU SO MUCH.” Nicole jumped into her dads arms. “I love it. It’s so perfect. Thank you so much!”
She released her grip around her father and grabbed her mom giving her mom a huge hug. “I love you.” She said as she reached for the keys her father was holding out in front of her.
“Girls be careful driving to grad, and when you’re finished the ceremony this has to be parked in the drive way and your mother or I will drive you to the after party. ABSOLUTELY no dinking or driving.”