He Won't Go

Chapter 4: Not Like This.

Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring.

Peyton and Nicole had buried their head into the pillow, as the phone had rang for the 5th time that morning. Nicole’s parents had left for the weekend on a business trip and neither of the girls had energy from staying up late watching scary movies the night before. It had been 2 weeks since the graduation party and on Monday Dany was being drafted the end of the week on Saturday. Nicole knew that when he was finally drafted that it would have been the end of their relationship and she could finally let go and move on.

Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring.

“JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. STUPID FUCKING PHONE. SHUT UP.” Nicole move abruptly grabbing the phone that was by her head and flicked it across the bedroom where it in the wall and shattered into 10 pieces.

The room went silent for a few minutes before it began ringing again. Nicole jumped out of bed with her long blond hair pulled into a bun on the top of her head, her shorts in disarray and her shirt was wrinkled up. She ran quickly down stairs to grab the phone that hung on the wall in her kitchen. Whoever it was much be damn important otherwise she was going to lose her mind.

“Hello!” She answered with a mad tone in her voice.

“I am so sorry for waking you up honey.” Murray’s voice hit her like a ton of bricks. Although she had no longer been Dany’s girlfriend she still loved his parents like they were her own.

“It’s okay.” She replied as she leaned against the door way in her kitchen.

“I need your help.” Murray said. “Dany said he’s going to give up hockey, and he says he doesn’t want to play anymore. He says it doesn’t matter if you aren’t there to support him.”
Nicole felt her heart shatter. She never suspected that Dany would have ever given up playing hockey; it was the most important thing in his life. Dany always said hockey was the only thing he was ever good at. Hearing Murray say that Dany was giving up on hockey, practically killed Nicole. “We need you to talk to him. He won’t listen to me or Karin.”

Nicole sighed deeply as the thought of speaking to Dany again creped in her mind. “He told us what he said, and what happened between you guys. I would never ask you to do this if I didn’t think he wouldn’t listen to you. I know you can talk some sense into him. If you don’t want to I understand Nicky.”

“Fine. I’ll be over in a minute.”

“He’s not here. He’s at the cabin.”

“Okay. I’ll go talk to him.”

Nicole made the two hour drive to Dany’s family cabin accompanied by a CD of her favourite songs A few by Christina Aguilera, Destiny’s Child, *NSYCN, Enrique Iglesias, and Matchbox Twenty including the song Dany used to sing to her. I knew I loved you by Savage garden, and with all things considered Dany was a horrible singer but the moment the song played in her truck she could only hear Dany’s voice singing her the song. It doesn’t really matter was blearing over her stereo system as she pulled in front of Dany’s cabin.

Turning down the radio, Nicole shut the car off and opened the door. She closed it quietly and began walking towards the front door of the cabin when Benny a 5 year old chocolate lab came running towards her. “Hi Benny!” Nicole exclaimed as she knelt down and started rubbing his head. “How are ya buddy.” Most people would probably think she was crazy because she was talking to a dog, but she loved Benny. He was the best dog in the whole world.

“Where’s daddy too?” Nicole’s brown leather cowboy boots make a crunching noise against the gravel as she walked closer towards the front door of the family cabin. She took a moment as she smelled the wood stove burning, reminding her of nights she spent here with his family, and him.

“Dany!” She yelled out when she ended the log cabin.

With no response Nicole searched the cabin, every room including the upstairs bedrooms. When he didn’t turn up she knew exactly where he would be. “C’mon Benny.” Nicole hollered out as she began walking behind the Cabin and up a wooded pathway. When Dany and Nic were just 15 years old they began wandering around the mountains, and it was hours that had passed when Nic and Dany had found this wonderful view of the forest and of the lake. It was a place that was near and dear to her heart, she had spent so many private moments there with Dany. As they had gotten older they had found a 40 minute route to their private place.

By the end of her hike Nicole was ready to pass out, but seeing the figure of Dany sitting back on to her made the 40 minute uphill journey worth it. “Daniel.” Nicole said softly, Benny took off when he seen Dany sitting down, and took the opportunity to jump all over him.
“Hey bud.” Dany said as he quickly got the dog under control and sat down beside him. He didn’t even bother looking in Nicole’s direction.

It was a few minutes before Nicole decided to move but she eventually found her way next to him and took a seat quietly beside him. Many words were filling Nicole’s head but she mainly just wanted to sit down and cry and tell him she loved him more than anything in the world and she had never meant to hurt him.

“What are you thinking about?” Dany seem completely zoned out, looking far off into the distance.

Nicole waited but there was no response. “Dany, Dannnny please talk to me.” Nicole’s hand when instinctively to his cheek, she repositioned herself from sitting on the cold hard rock to having her legs underneath her and her knees bent. “Dany, please say something.” Nicole leaned forward and placed her forehead up against the side of his head and placed a soft kiss on his cheek.

Not a single word was said when Nicole seen the tear running down his cheek. That was when she realized that he really truly loved her more then he lead on. “Dany I love you.” She said quietly into his ear. She sat back on her ass and took her hands away from his face and sat quietly. Seconds later Dany wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer.

“Please don’t give up hockey for me. Please.” Nicole could hardly get her words out, she was being taken over by her emotions and they were hard to control.

“Cole, I would give up anything to be with you.” He gently turned his head and laid and gentle kiss on her forehead.

“Dany, I can’t leave my plans for school behind. I can’t let you give up your dream for me. You can’t give up hockey, not like this.” Nicole paused and took a deep breath, fighting back every urge she had to cry. “Dany when you are on the ice, you’re happy. You’ve said it yourself that hockey is the only thing you see yourself doing for the rest of your life. While I don’t agree with you saying it is the only thing you are good at, I know it is just one of the many talents that you have and I don’t want you to give it all up for me. Just because we break-up this summer does not mean that we won’t ever find our way to each other again.”
Dany knew she was right, he couldn’t give up hockey it was an impossible thought but he had finally gotten to be with Nicky. They had wasted so much time over the past 4 years that it was impossibly hard to stomach the idea that she might move to Ottawa and find someone smarter, and better than he was. Someone that was more deserving of her kind heart than he was, a guy that realized how great and amazing she actually was and didn’t take it for granted because God knew he had.

“I believe that we will find a way to be together in the future we just have to go on our own separate ways for a while.” Nicole sighed; she had the feeling of the weight of the world being lifted off of her shoulders.

“Will you stay here with me tonight?”

Nicole looked into his eyes and she could see all his pain, and how he was accepting this break-up for what it was. No matter what she had said to him about the future she knew he was taking this break-up as a forever long possibility and by possibly saying no to stay the night with him could be the worst thing she could do. She was happy that he wasn’t losing his mind, screaming and yelling, saying anything he could to possibly hurt her the way he was hurting. She silently nodded her head. “I will stay.” She took a deep breath and relaxed and her head fell back on his shoulders and closed her eyes as the cool summer breeze cooled her off.