The Dream Journal.

Hybrids and eyepatches.

I couldn't sleep, and had been sitting up in my bed for over two hours. Figuring that i probably wouldn't be able to drift off any time soon, i padded down the stairs, the front door was locked. I reached out my arm, sinking my fingers into the now fluid metal of the lock and unlocked it.

Wondering aimlessly for a short time i wondered across the road and began walking bare-footed down the old train tracks. Reaching into the jacket i appeared to be wearing, i pulled out a crumpled note. 'I don't understand', it said in bold black letters.

Lost in thought i carried on down the train tracks, when i looked up i realised it was already well into the afternoon of the day after i started walking. The sun was setting, it didn't feel like i'd been walking that long. Getting bored of the monotonous track in front of me, i veered to the side and hopped over the fence leading to the canal. I crossed paths with a couple of dog walkers, one was just an old woman who smiled and carried on her way, the other, was a young, tall, blonde woman with an eyepatch. She looked at me strangely, then down to my right side. She shook with anger "who the hell did this" she shouted. I followed her gaze down and saw that i was now holding a leesh, it was attached to a dogs head, but that was it...just the head, severed at the neck. I looked bewildered at the angry woman in front of me, "it's not alive" i stated timidly, the woman cut me short "of course it bloody is!" she shouted. I looked at the dogs head as it's eyes pivoted round to look at me, and it let out a strangled "yip".

Before i could say any more, the woman was crouched on the floor, she set down a hand bag which proceeded to keep opening, compartments that shouldn't fit in such a small bag, opened out on their own, revealing masses of medical tools. As she began fussing with the tools and getting out equipment. I stood awkwardly on the side of the path, not sure what to do as i listened to the equipment clanking together as she was working. "He was like that when i found him" i said. The woman stood up now and looked at me, "it's a her". I frowned at her in confusion, but looked down to see that the dogs head had been sewn onto the body of a black panther. The woman looked down at the dog/panther and smiled radiantly "She's beautiful isn't she?" Still unsure of what to say, i replied "yeah...i guess." There was just silence between the three of us for a short time, then i said "i can't take her home, i have a cat." The woman just turned to me and smiled again "it's okay, let her go. She'll find you again later."