‹ Prequel: A Sin For A Sin
Sequel: Coming Under Fire

Follow You Home

Chapter Ten

I'm at the house, waiting for John to get home. We made plans to have dinner together. I set up the table with candles and actual plates that aren't paper. With help from my sister-in-law, I made baked spaghetti and garlic bread. I'm dressed in a black sweater and my favorite jeans and my hair and makeup is done to perfection. I don't know why I decided to go all out. I guess I just figured if we're going to try working on our relationship I would make an effort. But, he's late. John always gets home at about five forty five, unless he stops somewhere. Sometimes he visits his daughter or his mom, but he always calls me to let me know. It's only been a few days since the accident, so I'm a little paranoid.

I sit at the table, drinking a glass of wine, waiting. I've called John twice and he hasen't answered. I stare at the candles and bite my lip. I'm starting to get even more paranoid about the stalker. What if this person got to John. He could have been ambushed. I know he's carrying his gun, but he's still sore from his broken ribs, so he would be slow to draw. After two hours of waiting, I stand up and blow out the candles and go into the bedroom and change into black yoga pants and a white vee neck tee shirt. I pad barefooted out to the kitchen and start wrapping up dinner and putting it in the fridge. Once I'm done, I pour myself more wine and carry it to the living room and sit down on the couch and turn on a football game. I call John one more time and this time it rings twice and then goes to voice mail. Now I'm pissed. He's purposely ignoring me. I down my glass of wine and get up to get more when my phone rings. John's name is on the caller ID.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hey, we have a problem."

"What?"

"Dom's been arrested. He beat Joe Rizzo to a pulp tonight outside of his construction office. Rizzo's in the hospital."

"Oh my God. Is he ok?"

"I don't know. I've been at the police station since I got out of work. I'm trying to bail Dom out." he says.

"Does he have a lawyer? You don't have bail money."

"His lawyer wired some money into my account so I could get him out. I'm just waiting on paper work. We should be home within the hour. I'm sorry I didn't call earlier."

"It's fine. You were busy. I'll see you when you get here."

"OK, bye." he says and hangs up.

I immediately dial the hospital and ask for my cousin, Gretchen, who is a nurse in ICU. She answers on the second ring.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Izzy. I'm calling about a patient."

"Got a name?"

"Joe Rizzo."

"Hang on." I hear her typing in the background.

"He just had emergency surgery on a punctered lung. He's got three broken ribs, a concussion, and a broken hand. Whoever beat this guy sure did a number on him." she says.

"That's what I was afraid of. Can you call my cell if there's any change in his condition?"

"Sure, no problem, Izzy."

"Thanks so much." I hang up and walk to the kitchen. I need more wine.

I wait a half hour before I hear car doors slamming shut in the driveway. I get up and walk to the door and wait until John and Dom come in. Dom storms past me into the kitchen. John greets me with a small kiss.

"Sorry about dinner." he says.

"It's fine. I put it in the fridge. We can warm it up." I hear Dom moving around in the kitchen and then look back at John.

"What are the charges?"

"First degree assault with intent to kill. It's a felony with a max of ten years if convicted."

"Jesus Christ. He did this because of me, didn't he?"

"That's what I gather, but he won't talk to me." he says.

"Rizzo just got out of surgery. It's pretty bad." he shakes his head and walks to the kitchen. I follow him and find Dom leaning against the counter, drinking a beer, with a bag of frozen corn on his right hand.

"Are you proud of yourself, Dom? You almost killed an innocent man." I say. He regards me, but doesn't say anything.

"What, too ball-less to look at me?"

"I did this for you."

"Go to hell with that. You did it for you, I was just your excuse. Well now you're fucked, because if you don't end up in prison, the Rizzo's are going to hang you."

"I can handle them. I can handle prison. Don't worry about me." he says, taking a sip of his beer.

"Right, because you handled Joe so well. Obviously you didn't do too well, because you got caught." I say.

"We can't all be perfect."

"I'm far from perfect. But, you need to be smart, Dom. You can't just do illegal things and expect to get away with it forever. You can't beat up innocent men. We had no proof it was Joe who is stalking me, and you just went out and almost killed him without thought. It was stupid! And I mean, as if John and I don't have enough on our plates without having to deal with you and your messes. Do you ever think of anyone but yourself?" I rant. John is standing behind me and he puts his hand on my shoulder and turns me around to face him.

"Come on, it's not worth it." he says. I look up at him blankly.

"I'm going to bed." I say, then stomp off to the bedroom. I wash my face free of makeup and then crawl into bed. I can hear the guys talking and moving around the house. An hour later, John walks in and shuts the door behind him.

"You still awake?" he asks.

"Yeah." He sits down on the edge of the bed and turns the light on.

"Is he staying here tonight?"

"Yeah, and then he'll probably go to his apartment."

"Or run."

"I made it clear to him that I'd kick his ass a lot harder than Rizzo would if he ran. He's staying. Besides, he's worried about you." I snort.

"There's a first." he gives me a look.

"Maybe he does care, but he has a funny way of showing it."

"I know, it was the wrong thing to do and I'm pissed at him, but I understand why he did it. If I thought I knew who was doing this to you, I would kill them without a second thought."

"No you wouldn't. You'd alert the cops and let them deal with it." I say, logically.

"Maybe."

*****************************************************

John and I get up at the same time in the morning and work around each other, showering and getting dressed. We both emerge from the bathroom, fully dressed and ready for the day. Dom is sitting at the kitchen table, drinking coffee, when we come out. He barely regards us and stares out the window. John pours himself a cup of coffee and leans against the counter.

"Do you have a ride home or are you staying here?" he asks Dom.

"I'll figure it out." I roll my eyes and sit down at the table across from Dom and drink my coffee. We all sit silently until John finishes his coffee. He walks over to the table and kisses the top of my head.

"I'm going to work, I'll see you when I get home. Be careful." he looks at Dom.

"You be careful too. I'm sure Rizzo's father has guys coming after you." Dom makes a face, but doesn't say anything. I watch as John walks out of the house and then I look at Dom.

"You could at least act grateful. John didn't have to help you lastnight." I say.

"Well, you know I'm such a selfish person, it never occured to me." he says sarcastically, standing up and carrying his coffee cup to the sink.

"Why don't you cut out the bullshit, Dom."

"Why should I? You already told me, I'm a loser. Whatever. I'm having my lawyer compensate John for his time and effort lastnight. After that, I'll just leave you both out of my messes."

"Dom, John and I care about you. We don't want to see you end up in prison or worse. I just wish you'd think. Think before you act, and think about where your life is headed."

"I don't need to be told by my little sister how to live. I've done just fine."

"I'll just never understand why you do this."

"Because it's my life. I've been in this business since I was 19 years old. I'm 34 now. There's no getting out now. It's too late for that. This is the way my life is going to be. You don't have to understand it, Frank doesn't, Ma and Pop don't have to understand it. I've gotta go now." he says.

"Where are you going? You don't have a car."

"I'll walk."

"No you won't. Sit down." I say, firmly. He does as I say.

I pick up my cell phone and dial Carmine's number. He answers on the second ring.

"Yo."

"Yo yourself. What are you doing this morning?"

"Nothing. It's my day off."

"Do you mind giving Dom a ride from John's to his place?"

"Yeah, I can do that. I'll be there in twenty minutes." he says.

"Thanks." I hang up and look down at Dom.

"I called Carm, he's on his way."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome." I say, moving into the kitchen.

"Do you have a gun here?" he asks.

"Yes."

"Good." He walks over and gives me a tight hug.

"I love you, sissy." he says.

"I love you too. I just want to you think a little."

"I know. If you need anything, call me."

"OK."

We sit and eat cold spaghetti while waiting for Carmine. When he gets to the house, he knocks on the door and I let him in.

"What's up?" he asks.

"Long story."

"Sounds like it." Dom greets Carmine with a hug.

"Ready?" he asks.

"Yeah, lets go. See ya, Iz." he says.

"Bye."

I watch them go and then lock up. I do a walk through of the house and check the back doors and all of the windows to make sure everythings closed and locked, then I grab my gun from the kitchen drawer and carry it to the living room and stuff it under the couch cushion, and I sit and watch TV for awhile. I'm anxious now, worried that if Joe Rizzo was my stalker, his family could take repercussions on me or Dom. Or if he isn't, the real stalker is still out there, waiting patiently, possibly watching or looking for me. It isn't a comfortable feeling.
♠ ♠ ♠
This one is kinda boring, but it was neccesary. Comments are love!