Code Name: JTMD

Donovan Knightley

I remember when the words popped up on my screen, bottom left corner, as I was chatting with Alex, my best friend and father figure beyond my own Daddy. My fingers had froze on the keys as they were typing out some more obscene language in retort to Alex’s obsession to breasts and desire to get laid over spring break. In the room next door, my parent’s television had gone mute, and no longer could the blaring Korean pop music be heard across the hall in my sister’s room. Every one of my sense were directed to that single line of text, so close and yet so far, and nothing else was able to reach me.

Donovan Knightly has sent you a friend request.

Everyone knew Donovan. He was that beautiful boy only seen in magazines. When he wasn’t shooting goals or hitting homeruns, he was charming the female student body. And oh, could he charm them. It seemed all he had to do was snap his fingers, and he had every girl pawing at him.

“So why is he sending me a friend request?” I couldn’t help but ask aloud. Never the less, my fingers pushed against the touchpad of my laptop and accepted the beautiful boy’s friend request with a giddy smile. Whatever the reason, I was excited to be at least Facebook friends with him.

In the time it took for me to finally accept it, Alex was sending new messages like crazy. “So much boobs!”

“You’re such a squid.”

“Porn is amazing!”

However, my eyes were again glued to a new window; my heart beating like drum deep within my chest. My cheeks began to burn a deep, dark red, a feeling they hadn’t felt for almost four months. For, at that moment, a new chat box had appeared on the screen, the name Donovan Knightley written across the top.

That was the day we first talked. And it wouldn’t be the last.