Status: On hiatus.

Stay

six.

“It’s getting pretty late,” Thomas said as he extended his right hand.

It was getting late. The sky looked orange with a faint hint of yellow and the sun was about to go down. I closed my eyes, inhaled once, and nodded.

I accepted his offer and gripped his right hand as I stood up. “Yeah, we better get going,” I said.

He tried to hand me the skateboard and said, “Here. Take it.”

I shook my head but he still continued, “We’ll take turns, I promise.”

I took the skateboard from him and set it on the floor. I stared at it, not knowing what to do next. Annoyed, I put my right foot in and moved it back and forth just to test it. I played with it for a few more minutes and I heard him sigh.

“Here, stand on the board. And hold my hand.” And so, I did.

He started walking away from the plaza and I remained still on the board, holding his left hand while facing him. He was pulling my hand while walking on the road as if he was dragging a wagon on the street. We remained like that for about fifteen minutes. To break the awkward tension, I tried to ask him questions so he would talk about his life.

“So, what’s up?” I asked.

“Still haven’t tasted the Doritos Locos Tacos.” He said.

“It’s sooooooo good. It’s cheesy, and the meat was flavorful. Mmmm.” I said, trying to tease him.

“What? You tasted it already?”

“Pretty much.”

“No.”

“Hell yeah.”

“I hate you.”

“Ouch, man. I’m just trying to be nice. Describing my savory experience to you and such. I mean, I could go on all day without having a conversation.” I said sarcastically.

“I'm playing. But are you serious?”

“No. I’ve never tasted it.” I chuckled.

He just smiled. I wonder what occupies his mind right now. I wonder when he would ask me to trade places. Besides, he promised me that we would take turns.

Arriving to the train station, I knew we were near my house. My house is like a walking distance from the station, but believe it or not, I have never taken a train in my entire life. When you say this to people, their reactions would most likely be full of pity and confusion. They wouldn’t believe me, and would often contradict myself saying “No, you’re just kidding.” But I wasn’t. So I decided to tell the most unusual thing about myself to Thomas, curious of what he was about to say.

“You know what,” I started.

“What?” He still kept pulling me, but this time, slowly and taking a few glances over.

“I never rode a train.” I said with my voice a little bit softer.

“What?” He asked.

“Oh, you’re one of those people too.”

He stopped. “W-w-wait. What? I didn’t hear you the first time.”

I tugged his hand to imply that he should keep walking. “I never rode a train in my entire life.”

“No experience ever?”

“Sadly, yeah. I want to have one though.”

“I’ll take you one day.”

“Where to?”

“Anywhere.” And we left it at that.

I was kind of glad that he didn’t laugh at me or he didn’t ask me why because the last thing I want to be right now is to be embarrassed. That’s a first. Another thing, I’m happy he didn’t promise because he just broke his previous one. Clinging to a new one would just make me hopeful, and that would lead to expecting, which will eventually lead to disappointment. We took a few turns and we were finally on my street. I wonder what Connor and Riley are doing right now in their house. Maybe, Thomas and I could pass by and ask them if they were okay. But then again, we wouldn’t want to pry.

He stopped on the sidewalk in front of my house and I hopped off the skateboard.

“You weren’t so bad after all,” I said.

He smiled. “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.”

He took his skateboard and turned around. I don’t know why, but he decided to walk instead of using it.

“Thomas!”

He turned around, half smiling.

“Thank you. And use that skateboard, you tool. You’ve had enough walking,” I continued and turned around. I walked towards the front porch, stepping onto the grass which was an act my mother always prohibited. I rang the doorbell once and waited for the door to open.

“Delly,” someone suddenly called.

I turned around to see Thomas standing on the sidewalk, still holding his skateboard.

“Can I have your number?” he asked.

“You’ll call me so we can try the Doritos Locos Tacos together?” I laughed.

“Definitely.”
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry if you find this uneventful!!! :) i've planned out the following events, so hold your horses. meanwhile, comments!