Wallflower

Two Types of Falling

In a moment we were standing back in Diagon Alley, exactly where we’d been minutes before we had gone back to the house. I looked around confused, noticing that a few individuals had gone missing in our absence. “Where are Ginny and George?” I questioned the sly Weasley.

“Probably headed home, or in Gambol and Japes.” He replied shortly.

I looked down where my hand was still resting in the crook of his arm. In a single motion he moved the arm and swung it around my shoulders pulling me closer to him. “And where, pray tell, do you plan to go now? I’ve already finished my shopping.” I stated as we walked down the street.

“Oh, I figured we could stop in at Gambol and Japes, and then Flourish and Blotts and then before we head back we could collaborate our story over a butter beer.”

“What is this, your excuse for a date?” I asked before catching myself and quickly regrouping. “It sounds like a wonderful afternoon, we’d best get going though if we hope to be home before sun set.”

Fred grinned and steered us toward the joke shop. It was clear that he’d actually thought about our activities seeing as we were doing something each of us would enjoy. Upon entering the shop which was, as Fred put it “not nearly as good as Zonko’s” we saw George without Ginny. For a moment I got worried, knowing that she was my responsibility for the day. It had to have shown on my face however, because an explanation soon followed.

“I took Gin home, she’s going to cover for us for the rest of the afternoon.” George said before he put his arm around my other shoulder. Between the tall twins on either side of me, I was sure that my short stature seemed even shorter.

The three of us spent an hour or two in the joke shop, them demonstrating products for me and trying to make me laugh (succeeding on occasion) and me just being dragged around by them. The odd time something would catch my eye I would take a gander at it, and then when they noticed my attention was stolen from them they would use the item in question to regain my attention.

In the middle of the afternoon we exited the store, the two jokers on either side of me and our arms looped together. I’m sure we made a sight for sore eyes, as they both bore grins from ear to ear and my dimples were showing with the odd giggle as they cracked jokes back and forth. From Gambol and Japes we headed to Flourish and Blotts so that I could immerse my studious and book loving self in some literature while Fred and George did Lord knows what.

Upon entering the library-like store I was overcome with a sense of calmness. The smell of old parchment and new books filled my lungs and I took a deep breath before ploughing forward with a small smile on my face. First I checked the supplies for any new potions books, and then the section on magical beasts. Once I had satisfied my need to check for logic based books I moved over to the fictional section, where I would find books on mythology and entertainment novels. Throughout my scavenging I was so enveloped in the task at hand I hardly noticed the one twin who periodically looked up from his own literature findings to rest his gaze on me. Nor did I notice how whenever the first twin did so, after a moment the second would indiscreetly elbow him in the ribs to bring him out of his day dreams. Shocking for someone who’s favorite pass-time is people watching and always being aware of their surroundings.

Once I was satisfied with the few books I allowed myself to get I paid for my spoils and retrieved the red headed boys who were talking over a few books about muggle items. I paid no mind, having gathered from passing conversation and eaves dropping that their father had more than a fleeting interest in muggle items, and assumed that the interest had conveyed into a few of his offspring to some varying degree.

After collecting the boys we made our way back to the Leaky Cauldron where I would take the floo network home, and they would apparate. Seeing as the un was beginning to lower in the sky, and soon the blues of the overhead sky would become pastel pinks, purples and oranges we decided to skip the aforementioned beverage and head straight home. Molly would soon be looking for us for supper, and I’m positive the boys absence was pushing the limit already if it had not already become discovered.

A small wave to the men I’d spent the majority of my afternoon with and I stepped into the fireplace and took the necessary amount of floo powder. I said the destination quietly, rather than shouting like it is recommended, in hopes that no one was listening in close enough to hear. There were, after all, wards on the house and if I’m not mistaken, the fidellius charm as well.

In my left hand was my bag of books and my right holding down the skirt of my sundress. I flashed through the network and stepped out almost gracefully at the house. It was a miracle I hadn’t fallen earlier today while flooing, but now was apparently a different story. I only took one step out of the fireplace before stepping on the small wedge heel of my boot the wrong way, twisting my ankle and falling to the floor in a heap. Seeing that I was going to fall further out than usual, and I was about to crack my head on the edge of the coffee table I held out my right arm and brought my bag of books in closer to my body. A high pitched screech escaped my lips and the impact came.

I was laying on the floor unaware of what happened, only knowledgeable of the excruciating pain shooting up my right arm. Bodies soon flooded into the sitting room and I hoped that my dress hadn’t risen up to reveal anything scandalous. Still holding my books close to my body I attempted to use my right arm to push myself upright so I could stand, but found that I couldn’t move my arm. A groan of pain was emitted and I looked up to see blood pooling in my hand and bruising starting to appear all along my forearm. I tried pulling my arm back, but was unable to do even that.

A cry of agony escaped my lips while my face retorted in pain. I heard Molly pushing her way through the house’s patrons. My uncle had to be upstairs with Buckbeak seeing as he hadn’t attended to me yet. “Move out of the way, give her some air!” Molly demanded as she came to my side. I looked up to her to see her face contorted in worry and sympathy. A few tears escaped my eyes and rolled down my cheeks. She took in a shaky breath, “Just hang on a minute Deary, let me go get something to clean you off with.” She said before rushing away into the kitchen. A look to the entrance of the room showed that Ron and Ginny had crowded through the door.

Before Molly acme back in Fred and George came rushing down the stairs, “What happened?” George exclaimed. Fred just looked shocked.

“Took a right nasty fall coming out of the fireplace. Hit her arm on the coffee table there. It was almost her head though.” Ron explained.

Molly rushed back into the sitting room with a bowl of water and a clean cloth. “Someone go get Sirius, quickly” she said to the children as she started wiping away the blood from my hand in an attempt to get a good look at the damage. Whimpers escaped my lips as she did, and I vaguely heard a light set of footsteps running up the stairs. Ginny had left to get Uncle Sirius. A pop in the entrance hallway signified that Arthur was back from work. The commotion all became too much, too soon and my sight and hearing started going fuzzy.

I knew that I couldn’t go to St. Mungos because I would be shipped out into a foster home until I was of age, so I wasn’t sure how my arm was going to be repaired. It was now that I lost unconsciousness, and the last thing that I remember seeing was the blurry image of my uncle’s face leaning over me, speaking words I couldn’t hear with a very prominent look of worry and fear written on his face. After that, everything was black and quiet.