We All Want Something Else

II

Lexa remained my dancing partner until Zero and Mona showed up. We headed to our dark table, which was now thankfully empty. We four grinned as I ordered a round for all of us. We counted down from three and then swallowed the drinks at the same time.
Two hours later, I was slightly dizzy from dancing so much- Lexa loved to dance a lot when she got drunk- and so I decided to round up the other girls. We piled into the car at two-forty in the morning, and I drove us home. After they were each passed out, I sat on the couch and watched MTV2 until I fell asleep.

"Lex, Zee, Mo! Rise and shine, bitches."

I heard Mona groan, but Lexa's sound of protest was even louder. I smiled and made a pot of coffee. Zero was now asleep in the hallway; I stepped over her and hurriedly dressed into black skinny jeans, a lime green Silverchair t-shirt, and black-and-lime Chucks. A studded belt went around my waist; I grabbed my car keys and cell phone.

"Bitches, I'm going to work. I'll be back later."

A chorus of "Good-byes" met my ears even from Zee, who lifted her pathetic head from the carpet to give a weak, hungover smile, and I walked to my car. I parked outside the mall and headed to The Photography Place. My boss, Brooke, grinned at me.

"Well, cousin. Did you have fun last night?"

"Nah. Didn't drink enough."

Her bell-like laugh filtered throughout the empty studio. "Most people don't. How about you come tonight, and I'll have a designated driver take you home?"

"Can't. Gotta watch Kortni." She groaned at the sound of sister's daughter's name, and I giggled at her reaction. "Brooke, she's your neice."

"Arielle was a devil growing up. She's given birth to a demon."

"She's not a demon," I responded, suppressing yet another smile as I set up my camera.

"Have fun, Skye."

"I will. Bye, Brooky-bob."

"Bye, dear."

Later, when Arielle came home from her date, Kortni had already had her bath and was tucked into her bed, sleeping. I was on the couch, flipping through a Revolver magazine, smiling at the article Mona had done with My Chemical Romance.

"Thanks, Skye. I really appreciate it. I know how Brooke wanted you to go clubbing tonight."

"Don't worry about it. She's a good girl."

"Brooke doesn't think so," she sighed, sadly.

"Brooke's stubborn. But she'll come around. Well, I'd better go home."

Zero was staring blankly at the TV screen where Suite Life of Zack and Cody was playing on mute, and Mona was cleaning up from dinner. Suddenly, Lexa came running through the kitchen, clad in only boxers and a tanktop, and hugged me.

"Skye! You're home. Guess what. I'm glad you're here. I've got good news. Guess what!"

"Who gave her coffee?"

"Shut up." She pouted but then smiled brightly. "Party on Friday. Us, alcohol, and really cute guys. Lots."

"I work early on Saturday."

"Call off," Zee suggested in a bored monotone, causing Lexa to nod enthusiastically.

"Come on, Skye. You always work. You need to play, too."

"Shut up, Mo. You're supposed to be on my side."

"She's right. Please."

I gazed into Lexa's begging eyes, sighing out a frustrated, "Fine."

"Yay!"

As I crawled into my bed, I couldn't help but wonder if I'd made a good choice. But then again, I knew Lexa- and even Mo and Zee- would not have left me alone. They were plotting against me. I chuckled at the idea and fell asleep, a small smile still on my lips.
Friday morning dawned too soon for my liking. I dressed in a black-and-bright-pink plaid skirt, pink tanktop with black stars and skulls printed on it, black fingerless gloves, and pink knee socks with black stripes. Lexa smiled at my appearance as she smoothed neon pink creme on my eyelids. She dusted black glitter over the eyeshadow, and I allowed her to streak my hair with pink dye.

"Damn, girl. You look as good as the rest."

"Why aren't you dressing?"

"I feel like shit."

Mona dropped me off in front of a gloomy-looking building. She and Zee went to park the car, and so I headed inside; my jaw dropped. Contrasting sharply to the exterior, bright paint and pictures covered the walls. The hardwood floor was spotted with tables, and a long bar ran from one wall to another. I sat down at a corner booth and waited.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Skye."

"May I take your order?"

"Hang on, Lex. Uh, yeah. Diet coke please. What'd you want, Ms. Hart?"

"Just to tell you to have fun."

"Thanks, but-"

A click sounded, and I looked my cell phone screen. She had hung up. The waitress set my glass on the table; I smiled my thanks, and she walked away.

"Skye?"

"Do I know you?"