The Correlation Between Salvation and Love

07.

Image


Sian woke up two days later nervous beyond belief. She hesitated to get up, only able to do so as her phone began to ring next to her on the bed. Sighing softly, she grabbed the phone and answered it grumpily, “Hello?”

“Sorry, interruptin’ something?” Josh’s voice met her ear, making her groan softly as she fell back onto the pillow, “No just the woe that is my life in general today, honestly. Are you ready for the dinner from hell with my parents today?”

“Really going to be that bad?”

“Trust me, it is really going to be that bad,” Sian sighed softly, stretching out as she sat up, “I have music lessons and painting lessons I have to go to. Pick you up on the way back?”

“Sounds good to me. What time?”

“Around five?” Sian paused, mentally laying out her schedule as she nodded to herself, “Yes, five. Make sure your clothes are pressed perfectly and don’t laugh at me Joshua, I’m serious here.”

“I know love, no jokes from me I promise!” She could hear him holding back his laughter, making her sigh in return and roll her eyes, “I can hear ya rollin’ your eyes at me. I gotta head out to watch the Arsenal match with my dad, I’ll see you in a bit Dove.”

“Ugh, stop. Max already tortures me with that nickname, do not start that as well!”

“Yeah yeah, go learn your playing and painting and I’ll see you tonight.”

Image


Sian finished the last note in her piece on the piano she had been working on, smiling to herself as it rung out through out the empty recital hall. She heard a soft clap coming from the top of the theater’s seating area, making her head snap around to face the what was supposed to be empty crowd. She saw the two shadowy figures walking down the row towards her, making her heart race with nerves. As they emerged into the light, her nerves turned to embarrassment as she blushed a deep crimson. Max’s voice rang out through the theater as he spoke loudly to her, “Oi! Dove! I didn’t know you could play a keyboard that way!”

“Well…it is a baby grand…but nonetheless, I have been playing quite sometime now. I am sorry you had to hear that rubbish though. I could have done so much better than that…”

“Oi you said better?” Matt spoke up, making Sian jump slightly as she had never really heard him speak. “Because, love, let me tell you…that was bloody brilliant. Absolutely fantastic, even. How long is quite some time hmmm?”

“Eleven years…”

“Well no wonder then!” Max laughed obnoxiously, making Sian blush again. She spoke softly again as she stood, fixing her dress self-consciously, “What brings you both here?”

“We were browsing for new guitars and such when we heard your playin’ from the store and had to come in and check it all out.”

“Well, I am quite flattered. However I was just about to leave. Terribly sorry. Can we schedule a day to meet up and have tea or something?”

“How about you come to our show, ey?” Max smiled coyly. Sian glanced to Matt, who was smiling and nodding at the suggestion. With a glance back to Max she sighed, shaking her head, “I find myself unable to resist your ever undying charm, Max. When is it?”

“Next Friday. Josh hasn’t invited ya yet? I’m shocked.”

“Hush!” Sian blushed again, making the two boys laugh obnoxiously at her. Sighing at their reaction, Sian rolled her eyes and looked away, “But I really do need to leave…”

“No, go go. It’s okay Dove. I’ll explain more next Monday. Good seeing ya outside of classes!”

“You both as well!” Sian curtsied as usual, making the boys both shake their heads at her as they watched her leave. She hurried out to the car, greeting Liam politely as they took off to pickup Josh from his house. She shifted about nervously, making Liam glance back at her frequently in worry, “You ruin that dress and you’ll never forgive ya’self.”

“I know…I know it is just…I am nervous Liam…”

“Seems like Josh helps,” Liam gave her an arched eyebrow, smiling at her as he did, “Cheeky bloke, but I like him.”

“Me too, that is where we have a problem. I just hope he passes their test and does not freak out…”

“I know love, I know. I’m rootin’ for ya.”

“Thanks Liam.”

The rest of the drive was spent in silence as they quietly made their way to Josh’s home. Once they arrived, Sian texted him that they were there and waited impatiently in the car. Josh came running out, tucking his shirt in haphazardly as he stumbled towards the car. Sian’s eyes widened at his unkempt state, shooting Liam a look of worry she found they were sharing. Josh quickly threw the door of the car open, climbing in a bit out of breath as he did, “I fell back asleep without an alarm and feel like a proper idiot.”

“At least they are ironed. Here…just…stop.” Sian swatted his hands away as Josh continued to attempt to fix himself up, sighing to herself as she pulled at the fabric Josh had tucked all wrong. Thanking herself mentally for buying the next size up in slacks, she folded and tucked in Josh’s shirt to the expectations her parents would have before tightening his belt more than he originally had it. She adjusted the suspenders to sit properly after, making sure the black belt he wore hid the silver portions of the clips.

Josh felt like he couldn’t breathe as she gently adjusted his clothing for him. He had had his fair share of experiences with women in the past and there was no doubting that. However, Sian was a woman he never dreamed of knowing or even being near. She was the woman that he always saw as out of his league, even if he found her to be immaculate in every way. It was overwhelming having her hands on his belt and waist. However, what made his breath stop for a moment was when Sian reached up and began to fix at his hair. It was so tender, they way she went about it, and Josh was a sucker for little things like that. She softly ran her hands through his hair to attempt to fix it, making Josh close his eyes and sigh softly as he just enjoyed the moment for what it was.

Sian ignored her own racing heart as she reached up to attempt to tame Josh’s hair. She tutted at him as she took in the mess that was his bedhead. It stuck up in all directions, so she softly began to comb her fingers through it and make it all flow one way. She noticed Josh’s eyes had fallen shut and she smiled in response. She felt the car slowing down as she finished and flashed Josh a small smile once he opened his eyes, placing her hand on his cheek momentarily, “Perfect.”

Josh blushed at the statement, looking down at his lap for a moment as Sian began to get out of the car with Liam’s assistance. Josh took that moment to take her in and appreciate her as she was that day. Her outfit was basic but still stunning. She had on a soft mint green dress that draped over one side. Her heals were a nice beige white with black to accent them. She let her hair fall in soft curls, hanging well past her shoulders, a style that Josh particularly liked on her.

He climbed out of the car, nodding at Liam as he walked side by side with Sian and tried to remember everything his mother taught him as a young lad about respect and proper manners. Offering her his arm as they climbed the steps, Josh prayed he was doing it right. Sian let a look cross her face momentarily showing how impressed she was before dropping back into her emotionless state she stayed in around her parents. Glancing to Josh one more time, she quickly whispered, “Sorry you are going to have to see this…”

They entered the home, Josh holding the door open for her until she was three steps past him and he let it fall shut. Sian nodded back at him as he hurried to fall in step with her. They entered into the foyer together, noticing her parents were eerily absent. Sian glanced to Josh momentarily before sighing, leading him into the dining hall where she had a feeling her parents were.

They entered together quietly, Sian spotting her parents sitting at their seats across the room. Both of them sat across from each other as usual and as the door shut with a soft click behind Sian and Josh, they turned to face them in unison. Sian stopped and curtsied to them, standing up straight after with perfect posture. Josh took the hint and bowed deeply to them, standing up straight as well before speaking in a clear and less gruff voice than usual, “Mister and Missus Arroyo, it is an absolute honor to be invited to dine with you both this evening.”

Sian held back her look of surprise at Josh’s manners. Her parents looked shocked however, glancing to Sian momentarily with similar looks of approval for once. Sian took her usual seat next to her father while Josh went around, asking politely if he could be in the company of the “Young Miss Arroyo”. Sian’s mother blushed, something Sian had never seen her do, and agreed nonchalantly. Their dinner was served almost instantly and the conversation died as they began to silently enjoy it. Sian kept glancing up at Josh, making sure he wasn’t doing anything wrong. She noted in surprise that his table manners rivaled hers and for that, she was grateful. As the main course was served, her father cleared his throat and caused both Sian and Josh to jump a bit in their seats. Her father stared at Josh across the table, smiling in a rather cruel way, “So, Joshua right? What are your plans?”

“Excuse me sir? I don’t believe I understand…”

“Your plans son,” Sian’s father paused, glancing over to make sure Sian’s mother was paying attention, “For the future?”

“Oh…well…me mates and I had a little band we were working on. But I mean, I was thinking of doing Uni…”

“A band?” Sian could hear the disgust and venom coming from her mother’s every word, making Sian tense up as she stared over at Josh and mentally begged him to answer appropriately. “What on earth would a gentlemen ever have use of a band for? Leisure, I hope!”

“Y-yes ma’am of course.” Josh was blushing by then, staring down at his food as Sian watched his confidence visibly deflate. They ate in silence the rest of the time, Sian trying to finish as fast as they possibly could so they could escape up to her room to watch Cyrano. As the last plate was cleared, Sian turned to her mother and made direct eye contact before speaking with her in a soft and meek tone, “May we please be excused to work on our assignment?”

“You may, we just wish to speak with Josh a moment longer. We’ll have Carmen bring him up to you in a moment dearest.”

Sian shot her gaze over to Josh as she nodded in confirmation that she understood. Her mother watched on in delight, making Sian’s stomach turn nervously. She stood up slowly, mouthing a quick ‘sorry’ to the terrified looking Josh as she scooted around her chair. Quietly as possible, Sian left the room with the sound of the soft click of her heals echoing through out the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bit short, but the dinner has arrived! Trust me, everything you all have been waiting for is coming sooner than you think! :D

Thank you for the continued support I've been receiving in messages, subscriptions, and comments. Feels absolutely brilliant to come on here to the positive support!