The Correlation Between Salvation and Love

08.

Image


Josh watched Sian leave, his nerves escalating each step farther she took out of the room. Once the door was closed behind her, he turned his gaze back to her parents. Quickly he moved to make sure he was sitting up straight, his hands folded in his lap as he nervously tapped his foot on the ground. Sian’s mother inspected him carefully, pursing her lips to avoid the sneer she tried to make, “So, Joshua correct?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“You are well aware that this is a one time meeting, correct?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“You are aware that you are nowhere near anyone that is good enough to be in the accompaniment of our daughter, correct?” Josh could barely speak as she finished her sentence, nodding slowly in response. “You are not even close to being a speck on her radar. The only reason she is polite with you is because she has classes with you. Do not let her kindness fool you, Joshua, for you are nothing to her. She is proper lady and you? You are the scummy guys that she is forced to be around until she can go to a proper university and find someone to support her.”

Josh couldn’t find a way to respond, so he just nodded in response. Sian’s mother smiled bitterly at him, moving to stand up as her husband did, “Do not let her kindness trick you. She wants nothing to do with someone like you, so you may as well let that idea go before you hurt her and yourself in the process.”

Her parents left slowly after that, leaving Josh to sit in wonder a few moments. At the clearing of a throat, Josh jumped a little and faced what he assumed was Carmen. The woman smiled kindly at him, motioning for him to follow her. Josh obeyed, lost in thought still as he made his way upstairs with her. Carmen stopped them as they reached the top of the steps, glancing down to make sure no one was around, “Miss Sian quite enjoys your company lad. Only time I’ve ever seen a smile like tha’. And my husband Liam tells me you and her are quite enjoyable when together? Don’t let the crazy broad fool you. Sian is not what that woman thinks she is, and you can see that too. You’re better than those kooks downstairs.”

Josh smiled at the small redheaded woman, nodding as he muttered a thank you. He just wasn’t sure if he believed her.

Image


Sian paced her room nervously, the heals long since abandoned and her dress discarded for her yoga shorts and a basic tank-top. She heard the knock at her door almost ten minutes after she had left the dining hall, quickly running to open it. She opened it to the sight of Carmen and Josh, Carmen looking worried and Josh looking completely dejected. Sian opened the door wider, frowning as Josh shuffled in without even a smile. She looked to Carmen and got a shrug in response, making Sian sigh softly. She shut the door as Carmen left, turning to face Josh who stood in the middle of the room. Josh looked around her room as Sian watched him, taking in all the expensive furnishing and the fireplace near her bed, “Really posh room you got…”

“Josh…what did they say to you? Whatever it was, it was probably false.”

“Just the usual from a lass’s parents,” Josh let his shoulders slump as he looked over at the fireplace that Sian still had yet to use, “You’re not good enough. You are only being pitied. Just, your mum really knows how to drive a point in huh?”

“Josh…” Sian crossed the room to him as he turned, ignoring social conventions and choosing to wrap her arms around his waist tightly. Josh’s eyes widened, staring down at the girl in shock as she did. He took a moment before wrapping his arms around her as well, letting his head fall to rest on her shoulder as he did. Sian closed her eyes, holding onto him tightly as she sighed into the curve of his neck, “Do. Not. Listen. To. Them. They hardly even know their own daughter, let alone what is or is not good for her. Nor who is good for her. Whatever they said I feel or think about you and the other guys is completely false. Want to know what I think and feel? Since no one bothers to ever ask me?”

Josh nodded against her shoulder, afraid to speak. Sian smiled, closing her eyes as she let herself gather how just being held by a guy was making her feel, “I adore all of you. Max is so welcoming. Matt is hilarious. Chris is the voice of reason. Dan is a sweetheart. And you…you Josh are something else entirely. Do not let her make you think that you are anything less than absolutely wonderful. Most men would not let me dress them up for this and attend to this with such care, but you have. It does not matter that you have a different goal in life than what all the other men I have been forced to be around have. I quite like it actually. I need you to understand that no matter what they say, you are here with me for a reason. Not schooling. Not because you are Max’s friend. But because I want you to be here.”

Josh sighed, squeezing her a little tighter before stepping back and smiling softly at her, “Thanks love, needed that yeah?”

“Lets just watch this film, okay?”

Sian switched on everything, leaving Josh standing in the middle of the room. She took his hand in hers, leading him over to her oversized bed cautiously, “I will have you know, you are the first and only boy I have ever let even sit on my own bed with me. You should feel honored.”

“I am indeed.” Josh laughed a bit at her as she climbed into the bed, sitting as far to one side as possible. He kicked off his shoes and quickly took off the tie and suspenders, climbing in as well and sitting on the opposite side to keep Sian comfortable. As the movie began, he glanced over at her a few times. Nervously, he cleared his throat before speaking, “Can I try something without you killin me love?”

“I…well…I suppose so?”

Josh scooted a little closer, putting his arms around her and moving her to be against his side. He let one arm fall to rest in his lap while the other stayed gently around her shoulder. Sian blushed deeply, even though she rather enjoyed being that close to Josh. Feeling a little bold, she moved around so that one of her legs crossed to rest between his own and one arm was rested on his stomach, along with her head resting on his chest. Josh looked down at her in surprise, smiling through his nerves. She could hear his heart racing and it comforted her, knowing he was just as nervous if not more nervous than her. His arm moved to rest around her once more, allowing him to slowly rub up and down her arm with a feather light touch as he tried to keep his mind off the fact that a woman he could only dream of obtaining was currently wrapped around him.

Within minutes, Sian was fast asleep half on Josh and half on the bed. Josh reached over her, grabbing one of the blankets and placing it over the two of them. With his nerves finally settled, slowly Josh fell asleep as well even though his mind screamed at him not to. He’d deal with the consequences after.

Image


Sian woke the next morning to the sound of a soft snore from behind her and the weight of an arm around her body. She turned over slowly, careful not to wake them, smiling at the sight of Josh with his disheveled hair and innocent like qualities. Slowly she slipped out from underneath his arm, crossing her room to her bathroom to wash up. She took a quick shower, rinsing off all the remainders of her makeup and hair products. Once she exited, she took her time hair drying her hair so that she could pull it up into a messy bun and not have to worry. She put her same clothes back on, quietly slipping into her room and grabbing new clothes from her wardrobe. She pulled on the black bustier that zipped up in the front, tucking it into the long teal skirt she was wearing. To make it more decent, she pulled a white blazer that stopped at her elbows on and topped it all off with a simple pair of black gladiator sandals. Nodding to herself, she quietly exited the bathroom to find Josh still asleep.

Sian made her way over to the bed, sitting down softly next to him and shaking him lightly. Josh groaned a bit, rolling over to curl into the blankets more. Laughing a bit, Sian shook him again, speaking softly this time to him, “Joshua…Josh come on now. You cannot sleep in my bed forever.”

Josh’s eyes shot open instantly as he took in the unfamiliar bedroom he was in. Rolling over, he smiled nervously at Sian, “Ello love. Sorry…”

“No no, do not start on that. You did nothing wrong!” Sian laughed, reaching over and fixing his hair, “You and I both hardly made it through that film. After what happened with my parents, I do not blame us! Tell you what, I will do the film portion and you do the novel. We can compare the final scenes, that way we both are experts on something and can split the presentation.”

“You’re bloody amazing.”

“I try. Now, my mother is teaching etiquette classes all day so I am free to run about and have my own fun for once. You sir are going to show me how to have some fun.”

“I can do that. Can I change though?”

“Of course! Liam was going to drop us at your place and you can drive?” At his look of hesitation, Sian smiled, “Or he can.”

“Yeah…sorry…haven’t go the proper papers to do that…”

“Do not even stress! It is not a worry!”

Image


Josh gave Liam an address after they managed to stop at his home and let him change. Sian sat back as they took off, enjoying a mild and idle conversation with Josh as they drove along. When they finally pulled to a stop almost thirty minutes later, Sian looked up at the building in front of her in confusion. It was rather large and looked a bit old, but Sian got out of the car anyways as Josh held the door for her, “Trust me, it’s fun.”

“I just…what is it exactly?”

“S’my sister’s apartment complex. She’s got a brilliant view of the city and I figure, she’s out of town so me and the lads are throwing a little party here.”

“A party? Like…a birthday? Or…a drinking, smoking, rambunctious teenager thing?”

“The latter of that group.”

“Oh…okay. Uhm, just…just promise you are not going to leave me alone, okay? I am really bad in crowds as it is and I have never been to an actual party…”

“Won’t let you out of my sights love. Now, come on then, Max and the boys are upstairs already. I’ve got to run to get the liquor but you’ll be fine with them yeah?”

“Yes I suppose…Will you buy the fruitiest thing you can think of for me to try?”

Josh’s eyes widened in surprise as he led her into the complex and to the elevator, watching her every move. Nodding slowly as they stepped in and he hit the highest number, Josh contemplated what she was asking. He faced her again as he leaned against the wall, staring her down as he crossed his arms and smiled at her, “Little Dove is getting a bit rebellious now, ey?”

“Well,” She did the same, leaning on the wall across from him and staring him down with a slightly reserved smile, “I would have tried it before but I was never offered! I really am not that much of an innocent, I am just forced to be.”

“Startin’ to see that love.” Josh laughed a bit as the elevator dinged to signal their arrival. As soon as they stepped out of the elevator, they could hear the shouting already coming from down the hall. Josh stepped ahead of Sian, hurrying down the hall to what Sian assumed was his sister’s apartment. She hurried along behind him, entering into the quite expensive looking apartment he ran into to find the group of boys she had become familiar with playing a video game and screaming at each other over it. Rolling her eyes, Sian laughed openly at them as they all yelled back and forth over the game.

“Quite the shit-show huh?” The sound of a female voice that was heavily accented with a Russian accent shocked Sian, making her jump slightly and whip around to face the girl who was seated on the kitchen counter. She was smiling brightly at Sian, making Sian ease her already tense reaction. The girl was pale as a porcelain doll, giving her a delicate look. She had almost teal colored eyes and soft features, with dark auburn brown hair that fell to frame her thin face perfectly. She hopped off the counter, her black and sequined dress falling around her petite and thin frame. Even in heals, she was shorter than Sian.

“I’m Nikita,” The girl flashed Sian another bright smile, offering her hand, “You Josh’s new girl? Quite the upgrade from Frankie, that’s for sure!”

“Oh! Dear oh no, we are just friends!”

“Ah, an American! You the one Max called the Dove?”

“Unfortunately. My name is actually Sian though…”

“Like Siobhan but Welsh?”

“Yes!”

“I’m Matt’s unfortunately older girlfriend,” Nikita rolled her eyes as Matt’s head whipped around, a confused look crossing his face. Sticking her tongue out at him, Nikita turned back to face Sian again, “Thank god another girl is here though. I’m going to buy liquor with Joshua dearest. Can you make sure they don’t destroy mine and Elissa’s apartment? I told her I’d care for it, not destroy it!”

“Oh, surely!” Sian nodded as Nikita hugged her, shocking Sian even though she managed to return the gentle embrace. She watched Nikita round up Josh, the comfortable nature she had with all the boys something that Sian envied. Quietly she made her way over to where Max sat watching the other boys play their game, sitting by him. Max smiled at her, nodding his head towards the balcony, “Come have a chat yeah?”

“Surely.” Sian allowed Max to help her stand and lead her outside to the balcony. They could see most of the city from up there and Sian could see the water in the distance. Sighing she leaned on the railing, staring at the city below in wonder, “It is absolutely gorgeous up here.”

“Elissa is a lucky girl that her roommate is so bloody rich, also being Matt’s girlfriend Nikita. Came into some old money from her father, some Russian bloke,” Max leaned next to her, the cold breeze making them both shiver. Max laughed at her, smiling for a moment before he nudged her with his elbow, “What’s this I hear about our bloke Josh staying at your place?”

“Oh gosh, he fell asleep during the film as I am afraid I did too!” Sian blushed, looking away from Max for a moment, “You did not think that…”

“Oi we all did! Not you love, Josh is just good at talkin’ to women though.”

“No, no gosh no!”

“Just had to make sure love!”

“Should we be setting anything up for this party?”

“Oh Dove, you’re in for one helluve a night that’s for sure!”

Sian was well aware of this fact and was almost dreading the party for that reason.
♠ ♠ ♠
Such a good response to the last chapter! :D

Thank you all again for the continued support. I'm really starting to love Sian as a character so much and it's so nice to see people enjoying her as well!