Status: in progress :)

Coming Home

Logan

Kit smiled as she parked her car in the parking lot of the stable, and got out. She looked around at the hills surrounding the area and many memories flooded back to her. She could remember so many times where her father would take her and Aaron or the Compton boys out riding in the pastures and through the hills.

She quickly walked over to the barn, and found the owner. “Hey Millie.”

“Oh my God! Katherine!” The older lady hugged her. “I didn’t know you were coming!”

Kit laughed. “No one did. My tour just ended and I came right here.”

Millie smiled at her. “You look so grown up!” She sighed. “And I am sure I know why you are here.”

She nodded. “I figured this is where I should come first.”

“Well you still know those boys like the back of your hand.” She nodded. “Well, I can tell you there is one old friend that has missed you very much.”

Kit followed Millie to the stall and laughed. “Butterscotch!”

The horse’s head reared up and he started freaking out. Millie chuckled. “I told you he missed you.”

Kit opened the door and hugged the horse around his neck. “Oh I missed you too, buddy.”

For her thirteenth birthday, her father had surprised her with a horse of her own. Ever since then, she and Butterscotch had been close, and that was one of the things she hated leaving when she did.

“Either Aaron or Tyler come and take him out every now and then, but it isn’t the same as you.” Millie winked at her.

Once she had him saddled up, she took off in the direction they both knew very well. It took her a few minutes, but she loved the feeling of the wind blowing through her hair. She left her long locks down, so they beat against her back as she and Butterscotch ran through the grass towards their spot.

Butterscotch instantly slowed as they approached, and Kit saw what she was looking for. His back to was to her, and he sat on top of the hill, overlooking the beautiful countryside. She skillfully swung her leg over, and jumped off, tying Butterscotch to a tree next to the other horse. She paused for a minute, and sighed. She hadn’t seen him in a long time, and she hoped she hadn’t come out here for nothing.

She held in a yelp when Butterscotch nudged her in the back and she glared at him. “I’m going…I’m going.” She muttered to her horse and slowly started up the hill.

When she reached the top, she stood behind him. He didn’t turn around but he did sigh. “Go away, Alec, I don’t want to talk.”

“I’ve been called a lot of things during my career, but that is insulting.” She watched his body stiffen and then turn. “Kit.”

She sent him a small smile and he stood. “Hey soldier.”

He took a few steps to her and gently pulled her into his arms. After a moment he pulled back, and they sat down on the log he had just stood up from. “Aaron didn’t tell us you were coming.”

She shrugged. “Yeah, well…he didn’t know I was coming, either. My tour just ended.” She paused. “But from what I hear, you wouldn’t have heard it anyway.”

He nodded. “So they told you I have been avoiding everyone.”

She looked out at the landscape. “They’re worried about you. None of us can even imagine what you went through over there, but they are worried that they won’t get their brother back.”

There was silence for moment and then Logan looked at her. “Kit…I’m sorry about your dad.”

It was her turn to stiffen at the mention of her father and she didn’t speak. She knew it would come up eventually, but it was too hard for her to talk about. She cleared her throat. “Thanks. I wanted to come home sooner, but Aaron wouldn’t let me.”

He watched her carefully. “So what are you guys going to do with him anyway?” He shook his head. “That didn’t sound right.”

Kit laughed. “Well I just got in but there are rumors, from your brothers, that we are all going to our camping spot this weekend to scatter his ashes in our other spot.” She sighed. “But I haven’t really talked to Aaron yet. After he pulled me over he had to go back to work.”

“He pulled you over?” A smile appeared on his face for the first time since she got there.

She chuckled and nodded. “I was lost in thought.”

“So you were speeding.” He grinned again.

“Oh my God, I was barely going over! Just because I was a little reckless as a teenager, doesn’t mean I still am!” She laughed and Logan listened to her laughter with a smirk.

“That isn’t what I have heard about your tours. What is it the press call you? The daredevil of female singers?” He teased.

She rolled her eyes. “Oh, whatever.” She took a deep breath. “So, whether you like it or not, you are coming this weekend if we are camping. Oh, and apparently we are going out tonight.”

“We are?” He asked.

She nodded. “I was told to pass on the message. Apparently, to celebrate me being back in down, we are going to the bar. All of us, since I guess no one’s working tonight. Actually, I take that back, Finn is working.”

“And that explains the bar.” Logan commented.

“Exactly. You have to come.” She told him. “I am making you.”

He shrugged. “Well by the time we take the horses back, and I walk home it will be too late.”

She shook her head and patted his shoulder. “Then I will drive you. You are not getting out of this, dude.”

He groaned. “I hate you.”

She grinned. “You’ll hate me even more when I beat you back to the stable.”

He looked up at her as she stood. “Is that a challenge?”

She nodded. “Duh.”

She laughed as he chased her down to the horses. They both untied and took off as the sun was setting behind them. She was glad that she had been able to lighten him up a little. Little did she know, Logan was thing the same thing.

Ever since he had gotten home, he had felt like no one would understand. He still had a lot of anger, and nothing any of his brothers did was working. He felt that change a little when he hugged Kit and although he was glad for it, he was confused at the same time.

When they got back into town, Kit pulled into the driveway and they both got out. Being neighbors, it would be easy for them to quickly change and then drive together to the bar. As Logan started to his house, he yelled back to her.

“Come over when you are done changing, and I will drive us over.” He walked a few more steps, and stopped when he didn’t get an answer. He turned, and saw why. “Kit?”

She was standing next to her car, staring at the house. It was as if she was in a trance, and didn’t hear him talking to her. He walked back to her. “Kit?”

She shook her head. “What?” She saw him looking at her. “Logan?”

He let the incident slide, knowing how hard it would be for her to go back into her father’s house again. “Meet at my house when you are done changing. I will drive. Hurry….we are late.”

She nodded and grabbed her bag. Shaking her head again, she walked up the porch stairs and Logan saw her hesitate at the door, then slowly open it and disappear into the house.

She shut the door behind her and set her bag down. Everything looked the same as when she left, and she felt her heart break a little. Determined not to cry, because the boys would know, she shook her head free of the sorrow and went to her room to get ready.

Twenty minutes later, she and Logan walked into the bar and saw everyone waiting for them. As Kit said hi to the people she hadn’t seen earlier that day, Logan sat at the bar next to his brothers and Aaron.

“She did it! Pay up, boys.” Aaron laughed and the guys all handed money over.

“I should have known. “Logan shook his head. “So all of you bet against me?”

Aaron nodded. “I would have too, but I learned long ago, not to bet against my sister. Obviously, your brothers took that chance and failed.”

“Never again will I doubt you, Kit.” Finn winked at her and handed her a beer.

“Good. All of you should remember that.” She grinned.

Two hours, two beers and multiple shots later, Kit was nearly trashed. Logan had been right when he offered to drive, and she was glad for it. Finn had just poured her last shot when a guy walked over to them.

“Well if it isn’t Kit Riley.” He said and the group turned to look at him.

Kit didn’t recognize him, and figured he was relatively new to town. Finn nodded, confirming her thoughts, and she sighed. “Yes…it is.”

He motioned to his friends. “They dared me to come over here.”

“Oh, they did?” She said, this conversation quickly sobering her up.

He nodded. “I am here and I have something to say to these guys you are with.”

“Then say it.” Cooper said quickly, glaring at the man.

“I bet all of you $100 dollars each that she,” he motioned to Kit. “…can’t get up on that stage and perform right now. I know you can’t really have that much talent, plus you’re too drunk.” He grinned and it creeped Kit out a bit.

“We are not taking that bet.” Aaron argued but Kit put her hand up.

“Take it.”

They all looked at her as she stood and kicked back her shot. Then she sent a look at the man before walking up to the stage and talking to the band that was there. The boys saw them nodding, and then she walked up to the mic.

“So some jack ass bet my family that I can’t sing at all, let alone drunk. I am now going to prove him wrong.” She said and the band started a rock beat.

Hey good girl (hey good girl)
With your head in the clouds
I bet you I can tell you what you're thinking about
You'll see a good boy (you'll see a good boy)
Gonna give you the world
But he's gonna leave you crying with your heart in the dirt
His lips are dripping honey but he'll sting u like a bee
So lock up all your love and go and throw away the key
Hey good girl (hey good girl)
Get out while ya can
I know you think you've got a good man

Why, Why ya gotta be so blind
Won't you open up your eyes
Just a matter of time
'Till you find
He's no good, girl, no good for you
You better get to getting on your goodbye shoes
And go, go oh oh, go oh oh oh
Better listen to me
He's low, low oh oh, low oh oh oh

Hey good girl (hey good girl)
You got a heart of gold
You wanna white wedding and a hand you can hold
Just like ya should girl (just like a should girl)
Like every good girl does
Want a fairy tale ending
Somebody to love
But he's really good at lyin'
Yea he'll leave you in the dust
'Cuz when he says forever, well it don't mean much
Hey good girl (hey good girl)
So good for him
Better back away honey, you don't know where he's been

Why, Why ya gotta be so blind
Won't you open up your eyes
Just a matter of time
'Till you find
He's no good, girl, no good for you
You better get to getting on your goodbye shoes
And go, go oh oh, go oh oh oh
Yeah yeah yeah
He's low oh oh oh oh
Yeah yeah yeah

Oh he's no good, girl
Why can't you see
He'll take your heart and break it
Listen to me, yeah

Why, Why ya gotta be so blind
Won't you open up your eyes
Just a matter of time
'Till you find
He's no good
He's no good
Won't you open up your eyes
Just a matter of time
'Till you find

He's no good, girl, no good for you
You better get to getting on your goodbye shoes

She threw the mic stand down so it hit the stage in front of her. She then climbed down off of the bar and as the man angrily paid the boys, she walked past and went right out the door. Cooper went after her, and when he found her, she was puking in the alley.

“You always were a daring drunk.” He pulled her hair back. “Okay…let it out.”

“Shut up.” She coughed out.

When the boys found them a few minutes later, Tyler offered to take her to his apartment and try to calm her down. “I will bring her back to the house tomorrow before I head to the station.”

When they got to his apartment, he helped his friend to the couch. He got her a pop, and sat down next to her. By that time, she was staring at the picture he had on his table. It was a picture of the two of them and her dad, they day she left town.

“Kit?”

“You want to know the one thing you realize when you leave home?” He nodded and she continued. “You realize that you never really appreciate what you left behind, until you don’t have it anymore.”

He faced her and saw her face fall into her hands and for the first time since she got back into town, she cried for her father. Tyler sighed, and moved closer to her, pulling her to his chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: I do not own that song. It is "Good Girl" by Carrie Underwood.