Status: Completed 22/07/2013

Take Me Dancing

Oh you're not alone

Cause I've seen more spine in jellyfish
I've seen more guts in eleven-year-old kids
Have another drink and drive yourself home
I hope there's ice on all the roads
And you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt,
and again when your head goes through the windshield..." I sang along effortlessly as I cooked the next morning around 10 AM. Theodorehad decided to roll out of bed and was begging for something to eat as I laid on the couch with Zeno laying on my chest listening to me as I read quietly like I always had.
I had sighed and pulled Zeno up with me, discarded the book, and walked into the kitchen to attempt to cook a healthy meal for the two rowdy boys as they raced around the living room, leaving a tornado sized mess in their path.
"Food!" I called as I set three full plates down onto the kitchen table. I heard the stampede of food steps as they ran into the kitchen.
"Tanks Momma,' said Theodore as he threw himself into his chair and Zeno stood by his, waiting for me to help him up into it. Breakfast was cut short when John called and told us that he was having a BBQ. At first I denied, saying we had things to do, but soon enough I was caught in that lie and he told me that I was coming. End of story.
And if I said I wasn't nervous to see Garrett after what happened three days ago at the hospital, I would be a liar. But for the sake of my boys, Garrett included, I drove over to John's and Pat's place at exactly 1:15, sighing when I noticed that Garrett's car wasn't there yet. John didn't have a pool at his house to we basically hung around inside of the game room anxiously. I had no doubt in my mind that Garratt had told one of the guys what happened and it seemed to spread like wild fire from there. So I knew that everyone else knew that I had a perfect chance to tell me husband that he is... my husband, and I didn't take it because of fear.
"Hey Jenni!" Jared greeted as he came walking in.
"Hey guys," I couldn't help the smile in my voice as I walked over and pulled him into a giant hug.
"Untle Jared!" Theodore yelled, finally pulling himself away from the racing game long enough to notice someone else in the room, "I missed you!" He ran over to him and he pulled him into his arms in a hug.
"I missed you too!" He grinned, ruffling his hair before he ran off again, determined to teach his younger brother to play some game that the younger boy wasn't quite old enough to understand.
Kennedy showed up next with Michelle and surprisingly, Rachel.
"Hey," I stuttered in shock, waving my hand at the three of them. Michelle offered me a nervous smile back as did Kennedy. Rachel looked at me, then the boys, then walked over to me and pulled me into a tense hug.
"Hi Jenni," She murmured after we had pulled away, "Hi boys!"
Theodore and Zeno payed her no attention as they continued to move from game to game with John.
"Hey Rachel," I said uneasily, fumbling with a lose thread on my jeans.
"How are you?" She asked like nothing had happened between us.
I rubbed my arms, trying to get the chill to leave me before I answered, "Not so good,"
"I see," She sent me another calming smile before she walked away over to John. Michelle walked over to me soon after and we began talking about Michelle and Kennedy's new baby.
"We don't know what it is yet," Michelle ranted excitedly, "But Kennedy is so excited. He came home yesterday and was talking about all the things that he would get to do with his child,"
I 'awed' and then said, "Kennedy is such a softy! I'm so excited for you both!"

I was excited too but my mind was far from Michelle's good fortune when Garrett came walking into the room, black jeans almost tight against his legs and a t'shirt that I had never seen him wear before adorning his chest, his arms bare. Garrett's familiar nose ring was gone for the day and when he looked up he smiled a breath-taking smile to John, his slight dimples appearing on his face when he laughed at something Kennedy said in greeting. Garrett looked the other way when two young, dark haired boys, when racing towards him, each one throwing themselves against him and latching their arms around his legs.
Garrett grinned wider and said hello to each of them individually, oblivious to the similarities in their smiles, their slight dimples. I smiled slightly when Garrett reached down to pick up Zeno.
But the word that came out of my two year old's mouth made my breathing hitch and my heart stop. As Garrett looked down at him in shock, his built body completely freezing as Theodore scolded his younger brother. I watched as Garrett's expression changed from shock, to confusion and finally he looked up to me, his beautiful blue eyes meeting my own eyes and staring into them as if he was searching for the truth.
I looked to the floor as Theodore yelled at a crying Zeno. Michelle had hurried over and pulled the youngest Nickelsen sibling from his spot on the hardwood floor. I could feel Garrett's eyes on me as he looked between the dark headed boys then to my left hand, third finger, where the simple silver ring sat on my finger. I bit my lip as he saw what I was fumbling with, his simple silver wedding ring.
Before Garrett could utter one world I was running to Michelle and pulling the tearful baby from her, grabbing Theodore's hand and letting the wind blow my hair out behind me as I fled from the room, ignoring the yells of those around me.
I also ignored the cries of protest from my children as I strapped them in as quick as I could and hopped into the front seat, silently thanking God that Garrett's car wasn't blocking me in.

Rudely, I turned the music on to drown out the boys as they pleaded to go back to Uncle John's. As we drove quickly to our house I buried the regret that was festering inside at my latest actions.
And when we pulled up outside I didn't even unbuckle the boys as I hurried inside to pack the things we would need for awhile. 15 minutes later I was driving on that very same highway with my cell phone in my hand and shaking fingers dialing a number that I hadn't in seven years.
"Hello? Mom? It's Jenni,"
"Yeah. I'm... I'm on my way home,"
♠ ♠ ♠
the-pursuitofbeing.tumblr.com