Status: Completed 22/07/2013

Take Me Dancing

You still have a home

It took an hour and fifty minutes to get to the house that I was told not to come back to many years ago. The street was dirty yet the houses were nice. And when the blue house came into view I sucked in a breath and snuck at look at the sleeping boys in the back seat. I pulled into the driveway behind a black truck that I had never seen before and hopped out of the car.
I walked up to the red front door and knocked nervously, waiting for one of my parents to open it up. After just a few seconds the door flew open and I was pulled into the arms of my younger brother, Bryan.
"Jenni!" He cheered when he released me, running his fingers through his short, brown hair that had always been just a shade darker then my own. He then scratched this stubble on his chiselled jaw and grinned at me as I replied,
"Hey baby brother," I joked, playfully shoving him away.
He grinned a lop-sided smile and pulled me into a hug again, "I'm only two years younger," He murmured as I wrapped my arms around his waist.
I laughed as nodded, quieting down as two familiar people walked into the main entrance of the house.
"Hello, Jennifer," My mother murmured, her dark locks falling over her shoulders as she folded her arms over her chest.
"Jennifer!" My father cooed as he pulled me into a hug. I sighed as tears fell down my cheeks when I buried my face against my fathers chest.
"Daddy," I cried, the familiar smell of tobacco and mint feeling my senses.
"Baby girl, I've missed you," He murmured, pulling away from me, the similarities between Bryan, my Father and I.
"I've missed you too, Dad," I grinned as pulled my little brother closer to me, forgetting the fact that my mother stood in the hallway watching our reunion with impatient eyes. That was until she spoke up, "So I've see you've finally left Garrett,"
I bit my tongue as I shook my head, trying to think of something relatively nice to say, "No. We're married now,"
My families eyes grew wide as the news left my lips and my mother's jaw hit the floor as well. Even though I'm sure my brother already knew by the smirk on his lips. Bryan had always been a fan of The Maine.
"Congratulations!" Bryan yelled, pulling me into yet another hug, "I've always liked Garrett!"
I stuck my tongue out at him, "You just like him because he's famous,"
Bryan shook his head and shoved me away, "Is Garrett here?"
"No," I murmured, "But I brought you a couple of surprises,"
Everyone sent me curious looks and I held my finger up, telling them to wait a minute. I walked back out of the front door and to the red car that I had bought for myself after Garrett and I first got married.
I opened up the door behind the drivers side and woke Theodore. He rubbed his eyes and looked up at me with liquid blue orbs, "Are we dere, yet?"
"Yeah, baby," I murmured, unbuckling him and setting him on the pavement. I reached over the seat and pulled Zeno from his car seat, not even waking the heavy sleeper in the process. His head rested on my shoulder as I walked up to the front door with Theodore's hand in mine. The front door was open and I walked through the house and into the living room, already knowing the layout of the house from my own childhood.
"Mom, Dad, Bryan," I murmured as I stood in the door way of the room, "These are Garrett's sons, Theodore and Zeno, My sons,"
My father looked confused for a moment before he shot up from the couch and rushed over to stand in front of us, Bryan following him with excitement in his eyes as well.
"What?" Bryan asked incredulously, "I have two fucking nephews?"
I chuckled with a nod as Zeno stirred, looking up with sleepy eyes. "Morning, baby," I grinned as he looked around in confusion. He met the gazes of the two men that stood in front of him and then buried his face into the crook of my neck.
"He's shy," Theodore murmured, reaching his right hand out to my father, "I Theodore Bryan Nickelsen!"
The men chuckled again, "Nice to meet you Theodore, I'm your Grandpa Will,"
Theodore nodded slowly, a look on concentration on his angelic face, "Who are you?" He asked after a moment, pointing at Bryan who was attempting to hold in a his laughter and failing miserably.
"I'm your Uncle Bryan," He grinned at the young boy, shaking his little hand as well.
"Hi," Theodore grinned and then looked up to me, "Momma? Why we here?"
I shrugged, ignoring the silent questions in my families eyes, "I thought it was time for you to meet Grandma and Grandpa,"
"Oh," Theodore murmured, looking at the floor, contemplating.

A while later Bryan took Theodore into the kitchen to get him something to eat while my Mother, Father and I sat on the couch actually talking about while I was there. Zeno shifted in my lap, laying his head back against my chest.
"Dad, Garrett was in an accident a little over a month ago," I said quietly, looking up to see the concern on my parents face.
"Oh my, What happened?" Dad asked, resting his hand on my shoulder.
I closed my eyes for a moment and took a deep breath, "He was in a plane crash, kind of. The landing gear malfunctioned and they slid when they hit the ground. But Garrett hit his head and woke up a the hospital three weeks later with no memory of me or the boys,"
My Dad nodded, soaking it all in. After a few seconds he spoke, "So what are you doing here and not with him?"
I sighed and shook my head, not really knowing the answer to that. "Zeno accidentally called him Daddy earlier today and he found out about us. I wanted him to find out on his own. Not that way,"
"I'm sorry, baby girl," My father murmured, kissing my forehead as me mother sat on the love seat with her arms and legs folded and a stern look on her face.
My father continued talking, "But, Jennifer, that doesn't explain why you are here and not explaining everything to him,"
I sighed again and wrapped my arms tighter around the little piece of Garrett that laid tiredly in my lap, and listened to the screeching laughter of my older son running around in the kitchen with my younger brother.

After awhile Bryan and Theodore came walking out of the kitchen with innocent smiles on their faces and I sent the younger one a suspicious glare.
"What did you break?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.
Theodore pointed at Bryan who scoffed, "Don't sell me out!" Bryan shouted, glaring at Theodore with a pout in his lips. I rolled my eyes and pulled Theodore away from the bad influence, also known as my brother.
I took both boys up to my own bed room, the one that I still lived in when I was in the process of moving down to Phoenix, before I met Garrett.
The walls were still a light purple and the bed seemed to have new, yellow, sheets on it. My bed was in the centre of the room and my flat screen t.v hung on the opposite wall. The bay window let so much light into the room that the ceiling light wasn't even needed as The Monsters and I walked into the room. Bryan following behind up with the bags that he had grabbed from the car.
I sighed and plopped down onto the bed quietly, only to be interrupted by my cell phone ringing from my back pack.
"Mommy," Theodore murmured, holding it out for me to take, "It's Uncle Jared,"
I sighed and grabbed the phone as Bryce grabbed the boys' hands and pulled them from the room.
"Hello?"
Jared's voice boomed from the other line, "Where the fuck are you, Jennifer?!"
I flinched and pulled the cell phone from my ears, "Chill Jare, I'm at my parents,"
Jared sighed angrily from the other line, "Dammit, Jen, why would you run off like that?"
"Because I'm fucking scared!" I shouted, frustrated at his tone.
Jared laughed with out humour from the other line, "And you don't think that Garrett is? He just found out that he has a wife and two kids!"
"I know, Jared," I murmured, "Does he remember?" I asked quietly, biting my lip as I waited for his reply.
"...no,"
I bit my lip so hard that I tasted the crimson blood on my tongue. I ran my fingers through my hair and laid back on the bed, sighing angrily.
"When will you be home?" Jared asked after a moment. I shrugged, knowing that he couldn't see me.
"Honestly? I don't know. Soon, I guess," I replied, fanning my hair out on the bed.
Jared sighed once and I could almost hear the disappointment in his voice, "Well, Garrett's been in the house. He's seen the pictures and he's really struggling, Jenni. He needs you. He can feel that he cares about you, and the boys, he cares about the boys. But he just doesn't have the memories that he used to,"
I felt the moisture hit my cheeks and I groaned, "Jared, please don't,"
"Okay," Jared said, "Call me tomorrow,"
I nodded and said 'goodbye' before I hung up the call, my thoughts heavy with shame and worry.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am feeling bad about neglecting this story for so long so I'm going to update a few more chapters tonight. (:
the-pursuitofbeing.tumblr.com