Scandalous!

six

Gabe prayed for anything to happen, for a hole to open up in the ground and for him to carry on falling and falling, or for a sudden thunderbolt to strike the apartment.

But nothing happened.

There wasn't even an awkward silence.

"What are you doing here?" Lynn snapped, immediately going on the defence.

"I could ask you the same." Pete bite back, the colour in his pale cheeks rising. Angrily he strode into the living room and took notice of the two wine glasses standing half empty on the coffee table. Pete automatically assumed the worst.

"Well if that isn't great. My best friend and my fiancé sharing the wine together at seven in the evening." He spat bitterly wheeling around to glare at Lynn who had stormed after Pete, Gabe following her meekly wanting to stay out of this as far as possible, but realising now that all boundaries had been crossed.

"Ex fiancé!" Lynn hollered at Pete, taking up a defensive stand, her hands on her hips.

"Pete be serious, you're not thinking clearly." Gabe attempted to reason with his best friend.

"I've never seen things more clearer than now." Pete turned away from Lynn and Gabe to look out the window. His shoulders rose as he took a deep breath in, he turned around and looked Gabe straight in the eye.

He was going to ruin this for him.

"You told her didn't you?"

Gabe's brown eyes widened in pure outrage, the anger that such a lie in the form of an accusation produced was one that could not be put into words. The anger seemed to flood through Gabe, starting from the middle of his stomach and spreading into his fingertips and seeping out through his skin.

"Told me what?" Lynn asked, her tone less accusatory, but far more confused and bewildered.

"You've been jealous of me all long haven't you Gabe? That's why you wanted to ruin it all." Pete carried on hammering the lie forward, almost becoming so convinced by it that it almost became the whole truth for Pete.

"Get out."

Gabe's voice was low, calm but dangerous.

"You've never been able to hack the fact that I've got a better life than you, a better girlfriend and that I can get away with seeing other people." Pete said insolently and regretted having done so the minute the words were out of his mouth.

The look on Lynn's face was heartbreaking. A thousand and one things flashed in her eyes, but Pete never had the chance to see all those emotions because a fist suddenly collided with his right cheek.

The anger in Gabe had caused his actions to speak far louder than any words would ever have done.

He grabbed a hold of Pete's arm, and roughly pulled him up from his position on the floor that he had fallen to not having expected Gabe to do what he did. Gabe then dragged Pete through the hallway, ripped the door open and pushed Pete put and slammed the door shut.

Muffled protests were heard, but after two futile minutes they subsided and footsteps could be heard taking the stairs down.

Gabe took a deep breath in and then walked back into the living room where Lynn was still stood frozen, staring ahead but not seeing anything.

"You knew he was cheating on me." She said softly, still not looking at Gabe. It wasn't a question, merely a statement that did not need answering.

Gabe nodded solemnly, meaning to do more than this, meaning to say so much more and explain everything, but somehow he couldn't bring himself to do that because he knew that once he started explaining, emotions of his would come to light that he would rather only write songs about.

Lynn finally turned around and looked at Gabe and the hurt in her eyes was worse than tears which he expected to see on her face, but of which there were non to find.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She asked desperately, wanting, needing an explanation.

"I just couldn't…" It was not what Gabe wanted to say, at all. But he thought that words, if inaccurate and untruthful, were better than a silence on his part.

"You couldn't?" Lynn repeated disbelievingly. "You're my best friend and you couldn't tell me that the man I was going to marry was cheating on me; most likely repeatedly?" A slightly hysterical note had become audible in her voice, which came as a matter of relief to Gabe because he could deal with this kind of Lynn.

Or so he thought.

He stretched out a hand towards Lynn, but she pushed it away and stormed past him, picking up her coat from a chair in the hallway and pulled it on furiously before turning round to face Gabe.

"You're just as bad as him."

The words dropped from her mouth in the same way as the tears slowly dropped from her brown eyes. Without care or pride.

She pulled open the door and in tears stormed past a surprised acne marked pizza delivery boy, who held two steaming pizza cartons in front of him.

"You delivery sir?" The boy asked cautiously, looking at Gabe who had attempted to follow Lynn, but had paused in the doorway once he realised that Lynn didn't want him to run after her.

Gabe didn't even looked at the delivery boy and turned away slamming the door shut.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.