Got Me on My Toes

Chapter Ten Prt 1.

19th of October 2013 ; 10 am

The doctor had come in to check on Louis and said that the medicine he was on was working very quickly, that he should be better within a week. Louis was always a quick recovery when he was sick so no one questioned it when the doctor said this.

“We’re going to bring him out of the medical coma between 12 and 2. We need to make sure his body is still reacting to the medicine, even though he’s doing so well. It’s standard procedure.”

The doctor said while leaving a room full of people that loved Louis, and who Louis loved just as much back. But there was one person in the room who everyone knew Louis loved more than just a friend, more than just a best friend. It was Harry of course and he loved Louis right back in the same exact way. There love was something you would see in the movies, or something you would read about in a book. It was sweet, almost innocent. It was a classic story line for any hit romance movie. Two people meet, they become best friends and eventually one falls for the other, then the other falls for the one who firstly fell. But in this movie they had both fallen on maybe quicker than the other but that’s all that mattered was that they had both fallen.

Harry was sitting in the same spot. He hadn’t moved all but once to use the toilet. He hadn’t eaten since before Louis collapsed at his flat last night. He was still holding Louis’ hand. His eyes were heavy with sleep, but he wasn’t sleeping until Louis was awake. He didn’t care if he had to wait weeks, there was no way he was even going to be able to sleep knowing Louis was in some coma.

Everyone was there now. The boys, Paul, and Louis’ parents. At some point in the night/morning they had all left, whether it was to get something to eat, or to get some sleep. But not Harry he had stayed in that uncomfortable chair, holding his Louis’ hand for hours. He would do it a life time if he had to.

When Harry was left alone with Louis he had done a lot of thinking. To think all of this, all of these emotions were realised within just short of 3 months. Everything was going too fast. Harry had started to panic at one point in the night because he was thinking all of these ‘what if’ scenarios like ‘what if Louis didn’t like him back’ or ‘what if this ruins their friendship’ they were running through his head like a sprinter doing the 100 meter dash.

He was glad that what happened at the party happened. He just wanted Louis awake so they could talk about it and figure out how their relationship was going to go from there.

“Harry, you should really eat something.” Mrs. Tomlinson said bringing Harry out of his trance. She was really the sweetest person on the planet.

“I’m really not that hungr-” he had started to say before she handed him a bag that delicious aromas were coming from. She had brought him his favorite. A classic chicken sandwich. Grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, ranch, and red onions. He really could eat this for the rest of his life.

“Thanks.” he said taking a bite. Jeese he really was hungry. All of the worrying was probably to blame for that.

“How about a nap?” She suggested.

“I think this sandwich will do. I’ll send one of the boys out for Starbucks, just so I have a little more kick.” he said with lettuce falling to his lap.

“You know Louis will be fine. You heard the doctor, he’s reacting to the meds quickly.”

“Yea Harry, listen to her. You’ve been up for almost 2 days.” Liam chimed in.

“Guys, I know you’re all concerned about me and all, but I’m not sleeping until Louis wakes up. No matter what any of you say I’m not going to change my mind.” He said this time with no food in his mouth and with a stern look on his face.

They all backed off and got back to their small conversations.

-*-

Two hours until they were going to reverse the medical coma. Everyone was mentally counting down. Harry was hoping that Louis would wake up right away, but he knew that the chances of that were very few.

It was only Harry and Niall in the room at this time. Liam and Zayn had gone out to make another Starbucks run. Paul had to go home at some point, he did have another family, and he was going to come back later that night. Louis’ parents had gone back to the hotel to call their daughters and make sure everything was okay with them.

“Harry I know how much you love him..” Niall said breaking the silence.

Harry was shocked and was speechless, so Niall continued,” I guess we all always knew at some point that what you guys had was more than friends even if you guys hadn’t realised it. You two never acted the same way towards each other with any of us. Even when we go golfing, you always check your phone once in awhile to see if he called or texted you. The way you two look at each other is so intense sometimes. I remember one time me and you went off to venture through a venue we had never been before and Louis called you and asked if you would come back to go get drinks before the show. Harry I never seen you run so fast, when it wasn’t from our crazy fans.”

Again Harry was speechless, the only thing he could think of to say was,” Do they know? The fans I mean?”

“It’s gotten out of course. Simon should be in tonight and is going to have us do an ‘interview’ *he air quoted the word* to update everyone. Everyone’s been so concerned. I’m shocked none have shown up here yet.” He chuckled. There fans were crazy there was no doubt about that but they loved them.

1:30 pm

Everyone was back now. The doctors were in the room injecting a cloudy purple color into Louis’ IV line. This was the drug that would reverse the coma he was under. They had told everyone multiple times that he might not wake up right away because he had already been in a coma beforehand. Harry guess even though everyone knew he wouldn’t wake up right away they still had all hoped he would.

He didn’t wake up. Now they had to play the waiting game. It was torture.

6 pm

Paul was back now. Louis’ parents had gone back to the hotel to get some sleep. Simon should be there soon so they could do their update.

Everything was going perfectly fine. Each boy was sitting in a chair that surrounded there friend who is usually jumping of the walls, but is now laying in a hospital bed, with wires and tubes connecting to him to machines. Paul was sitting on the window sill. Harry was still holding Lou’s hand. Niall was sitting next to Harry rubbing his back. He couldn’t imagine how it must feel to see the love of your life laying almost lifeless in a hospital bed. Zayn was resting his head on Liam’s shoulder. Liam was holding Louis’ other hand.

“Boys, Simon is on his way up. We’re going to go down the hall in the waiting room and record a short update for the people. And Harry I promise it won’t take long.”

The 4 boys all looked at the tall buff man and nodded their heads.

Just as a nurse walked in one of the machines, which was monitoring Louis’ breathing started to beep. Oh no, beeping wasn’t good. She ran over and put that small disc they used to listen to people’s hearts on Louis’ chest. She pushed the call button. Two other nurses rushed into the room, while the nurse who was their first put an oxygen mask on Louis’ face.
“Breathing is at 30% self, 70% respirator.” one of them said checking the machine
Harry didn’t know what that meant but he knew it wasn’t good.

“Boys, could you please go outside.” Another nurse had said in a very stern voice. None of them wanted to leave and like always Harry didn’t want to but didn’t fight this time. Tears were shedding from all of their eyes, returning them to the red, puffy balls they has experienced the night before.
They were all in the hallway but Harry couldn’t take it, he had to know what was going on. He ran into what was one of the scariest moments of his life. The doctor who rushed in the room as they were leaving had 2 paddles in his hand, while one of the nurses shouted numbers at him he said, “Clear!!” and pressed the paddles to Louis’ bare chest. Louis’ body jerked up, ”NOOO!” Harry protested. “Louis don’t you dare leave me! Don’t do it I LOVE YOU!” he was on his knees now, clenching his stomach, the tears were coming faster, he was going short of breath as the doctor shouted “Clear!” again. This time Louis’ body jumped so high off of the bed Harry could swear he was floating.

The doctor and 3 nurses all stared at each other when the flat line was still going. How could this happen they said Louis was doing so well. Harry didn’t care what anyone in that room said he got up as fast as he could without hurling, ran over to the bed, grabbed both of Louis’ cheeks and kissed him. Maybe it would be just enough, just what was needed to start Louis’ heart right back up.

“Louis you can’t die on me. If your gone them in gone. I love you and I know you love me too. Please just wake up, please Louis!” Harry was practically drowning in his tears.”Mr. Styles , I’m sorry but I have to call ti-” the doctor had started to say before all the machines that were making that terrible flat line sound started back up and Louis’ eyes fluttered opening, his free hand was grabbing the oxygen mask off from his face. He was grasping for air.

The nurses and doctors were shocked and started pressing buttons on the machines, listening to Louis’ heart, taking his blood pressure. Every standard medical procedure they did when you went for a yearly checkup. They didn’t know how or why he had suddenly gone into cardiac arrest, died for almost a minute and then came back to life. It was a miracle. Harry could see those light royal blue eyes he loved so much. Louis started to move his lips like he wanted to say something so Harry leaned down so his ear was inches from his friend’s lips.

“I would never leave you. I love you Harry” he whispered before closing his eyes. He wasn’t drifting into a coma, just sleep. Harry’s eyes were flooded, like a broken damn had just exploded. He kissed his friends cheek and ran out to find the others to tell them what happened. He was surprised they didn’t chase after him when he ran back into the room.