Got Me on My Toes

Chapter Six

4 days later

Louis walked into his flat throwing his duffle bag on to the floor next to the door. He was so tired from that train ride home. He’d done a lot of thinking after everything that had happened that weekend and since Louis was so use to just living in the moment and doing whatever when he thought hard about things it always took a lot out of him. He’d talked to his Mum a lot about everything, and everything she said was some of the best advice he’d ever gotten from anyone. He was surely going to take it too. But first he had to prepare himself for what he was about to plan and what he was about to tell his bestfriend.

Friday morning 9:30

Louis had gotten more sleep than he expected that night. Usually when he’s stressed about something it’s hard for him to sleep. Talking to his mom had probably eased it a little. But he had to talk to her more, good thing his sisters would be at school, and his mom had taken the day off from work.

He walked downstairs to find a cup of tea and his favorite cereal on the table with a note saying ‘Lou, I’ve gone out to the store, be back soon x Mum’. He grabbed the milk from the fridge, a bowl from the cupboard and a spoon from the drawer and sat down to enjoy his corn pops. He was hoping his Mum would get home soon, he wanted to talk to her more about his ‘situation’, he needed to know what to do about this, and what if Harry didn’t feel the same way.

The chances of him feeling the same were probably slim to none. Harry wasn’t gay. But then again last night on the phone when he almost brought up the kiss and Lou ignored it, it was like Harry wanted to talk about it. Why would he want to talk about that unless it was eating at him too. Harry was like that if something wasn’t really bothering him then he wouldn’t even acknowledge it, especially something as serious as what they had done.

Before his mind could continue with all these scenarios his spoon was chasing around the last bit of his cereal and bringing it up to his mouth. He put the spoon on the table and brought the bowl to his mouth sipping out the milk when he heard his mum’s car pulling up. He rushed up, quickly putting his bowl in the sink and ran to meet her at the door so he could help her bring in any bags.

“Is there any more bags?” he said looking at his Mum. “No just these.” she gestured to the ones in her hands, he grabbed them from her and brought them into the kitchen. “Lou are you alright? Did you put extra sugar in your corn pops again?” she said taking off her sunglasses. “No Mum, I just really wanted to talk to you.” he said quickly putting the few things she got away in the appropriate places. “Oh, alright then, let me make some tea and we’ll go in the living room and talk. Why don’t you go get dressed while I put the kettle on.”

He listened to his Mum, running up the stairs like the school boy he was only 2 years ago. He threw on the first thing he grabbed out of his bag, ruffled his hair so it looked somewhat decent, ran in the bathroom brushed his teeth and then ran down the stairs. His Mum had just been sitting down on the couch when he got downstairs. “Come sit honey.” she said gesturing him over. He sat where his mum had told him to. “Mum I really need to know what to do about this.” he said with his voice cracking, the tears would start soon if she didn’t tell him. Mrs.Tomlinson could see the fear and confusion in her son’s eyes. She took a deep breath and said what she thought would help, even if it did hurt him a little.

“Louis, I know how much this means to you, how much he means to you. The only thing is we don’t know if he feels the same way. And if he doesn’t you’re going to be hurt even more, and then the band might go downhill or your friendship with him…” She paused and handed her son a tissue the tears had really started streaming down his face now. “.. Honey one of the biggest decisions you have to make yourself is do you want to risk your friendship for something more, because I can tell that if you were to lose Harry as just a friend you would be an absolute mess. Just thinking about it you are.” She said with a laugh trying to lighten the mood. “If you do decide to act on these feelings me and your sisters will support you no matter what. I’m not sure how your father will handle this, but I’m sure he’ll support you too. Another thing is, you have to think how this will affect the band, and your friendships with the other boys. I honestly think that they already can tell how much you and Harry care for each other, but you still have to be considerate of how you and Harry would act in front of them.” His sobs had gotten quieter now, and the tears were slowly stopping

His mum was right; he hadn’t even thought how this would affect the band or his relationships with the other boys. He nearly whispered his next words, “But mum what do I do, I love him…” before he let her answer he quickly added, “Mum I think I’m in love with him.”

This surprised her she didn’t know it was this serious. “Hun, are you sure you’ve only recently felt like this right? Well since Liam’s party anyways.” she looked into her sons eyes and the next thing he said surprised her even more, “Mum, I thought about it a lot lately especially last night when I went up to bed. I think I’ve always loved Harry this way, but I just never realised it until Liam’s party. And since then it’s just been the fear of Harry not feeling the same way.” Now they were both crying. She scooted over to her son and wrapped her arms around him. She could tell he was serious about this and how if Harry didn’t feel the same way towards him, her sons life might be over.

Saturday 1:29pm

Louis had gone over to his Dad’s house to visit and to more importantly tell him what was going in his son’s life lately. He wasn’t sure how his dad was going to take this. I guess Louis had always known his dad had a fear of his only son being gay because he was brought up around only sisters.

Before Louis could even start his Dad sat across from him and said, “I know what you’re going to tell me Louis, and I just want you to know that I support you 100 percent.” Either his Dad could read his mind or his Mum had called him. He was leaning towards the second one more than the first.

“D-Dad, how, how did you know.” he stuttered out. “Well how do you think?” his father replied with a raised eyebrow, they both said at the same time, “Mum.” His father continued with,” But I think I’ve always known by the way you and Harry look at each other. Honestly when your Mum had called me and told me last night I wasn’t too comfortable with the idea of my only son being gay. But then I just looked back at all the moments I’ve seen you with Harry whether it’d be in person with us, in interviews or even performing and I can tell how happy he makes you. Then I came to the realisation that I shouldn’t care whether the person who makes my son as happy as Harry does is either a boy or a girl, as long as you’re happy.”

Louis didn’t know what else to do but to get up and go hug his dad. The hug had some tears but they were happy tears. He was happy that his Dad understood and didn’t try to fight it. He whispered to his dad, “I love you.” and hugged tighter, his dad pulled away a little, kissed him on the forehead, and said, “I love you too Son. And I’m proud to be your dad.”

That went better than expected, Louis thought to himself

Sunday 11:18

Louis was tossing and turning. He couldn’t get the fact that he was going home tomorrow and was going to see Harry out of his head. He was happy, scared, and nervous.

He had talked to his mum earlier about what he should do, and how he should go about telling Harry. His mum had suggested maybe talking to Liam first since Liam always gave great advice. So he was definitely going to do that. Then he was going to hang out with Harry and drop subtle hints that something serious was going on in his life and Harry would pick up on those hints because after all they were best friends.

Right before he fell asleep he heard his phone from his bedside table bing. He had just gotten a text. He grabbed his mobile and read the text that made his smile stretch so far across his face it could reach his ears.

Hazza: “I can’t wait to see you tomorrow Boo Bear. I missed you. Goodnight <3”
Louis quickly replied, “I can’t wait to see you either. Goodnight (:” turned his phone on silent and went to sleep.

He was sure Harry felt the same way, but the fear was still there of ‘what if he didn’t’ or if Harry was just being curious.

He left those thoughts behind when he drifted off into what was one of the best sleeps he’s gotten in a while all because of one little text message he received from his best friend, who he was shamelessly, and hopelessly in love with.