Got Me on My Toes

Chapter Eight.

12:43
It seemed like hours even years before they actually arrived at hospital. Time was going by so slow. All Harry could think about was what was going to happen to Louis. What was wrong with him to begin with?

Harry jumped out of the ambulance as nurses and doctors came rushing out of the emergency doors asking the paramedics all sorts of questions. Harry wasn’t sure what to do. Should he call the boys’ and more importantly Louis’ parents or should he see what exactly was going on. He decided to call Lou's Mum first because if anything serious needed to be done to Louis his Mum and Dad would have to make the decision.

"Mrs. Tomlinson.." he said out of breath with panic in his voice.

"Harry, what’s wrong? Is everything okay?" she said worried.

"Louis' in hospital, we were at my flat and he just collapsed on the ground, and he’s had 2 seizures." he said trying to rush out the words as fast as he could without breaking down.

He heard the gasp from the other line of the phone and continued with, "We don’t know what’s wrong with him or what happened, I haven’t even called the boys yet."

"Okay Harry, listen to me, stay as calm as you can. Call Paul, in case any major decisions need to be made. He'll be able to get there faster than me and Louis' father can. I’m going to call his Dad, and we'll catch the next train out of Doncaster. What Hospital is he in?"

"He's in Queen Elizabeth."

"I’ll be there as soon as I can. Oh and Harry before I go just remember Louis would never leave you. I’ll see you soon."

And that was it, she hung up the phone. What was that suppose to mean? "Louis would never leave you". This is too much to think of right now. He had to call Paul.

He dialed the number he knew all too well. He was standing outside of the room where Louis was now. The doctors were hooking Louis up as if he were a robot. Wires were everywhere on Louis. Ones leading to bags of fluids and ones that were connected to machines.

"Hello?" he finally heard on the other end in a very sleepy voice.

"Paul, you have to come to Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Louis' just had 2 seizures. I called his Mum and she said you have to be here in case any important decisions need to be made. We’re on the emergency floor."

All he said in reply was, "Harry I’m on my way. Stay calm. Call the boys if you haven’t already." and hung up the phone.

Okay next was to call the boys. Liam first.

"Harry? Why are you calling so late?" He had woken Liam up but he didn’t care at this point if woke up the queen.

"Liam, Louis' in hospital. You need to come here. Now. Queen Elizabeth. Emergency floor." He didn’t stay on long enough for Liam to ask questions. He hung up so he could call Zayn and Niall.

"Ayy Harrehh?!" Zayn shouted into the phone when he answered. Oh great Zayn was drunk, which meant he was probably with Niall, who was also probably drunk.

"Zayn where are you? Are you with Niall?" Harry rushed out looking into the room where the doctors had started to calm down and were now, he was assuming, doing the standard tests on his friend.

"Niall, come here, Harry wants to talk!"

"Harreh!" a drunken Niall repeated what Zayn had just done.

"Niall listen to me. Where are you guys. Louis is in hospital and it’s pretty serious."

"What hospital?"

"Queen Elizabeth."

"We’re only 10 minutes away. We'll call a cab."

"Okay hurry."

The line went dead. All Harry could hope was that someone would get there soon, he didn’t know what to do. He didn’t want to be alone. He didn’t want to be alone if something else went wrong. Oh God please don’t let anything else go wrong.

-*-

Paul and Liam were the first to arrive. Harry was sitting in a chair at the side of the bed just staring at Louis. When he saw Liam he ran over and hugged him. Liam's eyes were puffy. He had been crying as hard as Harry had been. But Liam didn’t even know what happened. He looked slightly ridiculous for one because his hair was just sticking up everywhere, and secondly because he had his Toy Story pajama pants on. Liam was really just a Kid in a 20 year olds body.

Pulling away from the hug and wiping their eyes Liam said, "Paul's here too. He was talking to the nurse out there to see if she could get a hold of the doctor to see what they know." No sooner that Liam finished the sentence Paul walked into the room. Before even talking he looked at the pale boy in the bed, and back at the two puffy eyed ones standing inches away from him. He pulled both of them into a strong embrace. He cared about the boys as if they were his own. There bond was something no one would understand.

"So did you talk to the doctor?" Liam asked. Paul nodded. He didn’t say anything he just nodded. "Well then what’d he say?" Harry urged on. "Harry we should really wait until Niall and Zayn get here." Paul had started to say when the two other boys had stumbled into the room. Harry was right. They were drunk but, they weren’t as bad as he had thought. Actually Harry thought this tragedy had sobered them up because they weren’t even acting like they had drank anything.

"Okay there here. Now Paul, what’s wrong with Louis." Harry had said.

Paul took a deep breath and met each set of eyes that were staring at him. Then he told them, "Boys, the doctors don’t know what’s wrong with Louis yet. They took blood and are doing tests now. They just don’t know how a perfectly healthy 21 year old is having unexplained seizures when it’s never happened before. They’re going to admit him, so he'll be here for at least 3 days. The test results should be in within the next 3 hours. Until then we'll just have to wait. Oh and the doctor has asked me to tell you guys to just think if Louis had been acting strange lately in any way, or if he's been complaining about anything hurting. Don’t answer yet, but if you do you think of something let me know so I can inform them. Anything might help. Also there going to be moving him into a more suited room, which is a little more private. So they should be coming in at any moment to transfer him."

1:52 am Room 201

Louis was in his new room. It was sterile just like any other hospital room. The white and cream colors of the cabinets, sheets and even curtains made the mood even worse. You would think that the white would bring a calmness to the room, almost like an innocence but all it did was hurt your eyes if the lights were on brightly. The only color that was in the room was from the four maroon cushioned chairs the nurses had brought in for them. The room was pretty large compared to other rooms Harry had seen. In addition to the four chairs there was a table stood near the window and obviously all the machines Louis was corded to.

Paul was in the waiting area down the hall phoning Louis' Mum. The boys were back in Louis’ room. Harry was sitting the closest to Louis on his left side, closest to the window. Even though he knew it wouldn’t happen, he was waiting for Louis' light royal blue eyes to flutter open and for him to jump up and say, "HAH! I got you all!" But if he did that then he would be headed out that window for multiple reasons.

Harry heard a grumbling noise from the other side of the room. Liam who was next him looked at Niall and said, "Really? You’re hungry at a time like this?" Niall looked down at his hands that were sitting in his lap, "I know. But I can’t help it!" Zayn shook his head, "Come on Niall let’s run down and grab something from the cafeteria. Liam are you coming?" Before Liam answered he looked at the older boy lying in the bed, motionless, and to the younger boy next to him with such hurt in his eyes. It broke his heart to see Harry this way. Harry really did love Louis. Liam could see it in his eyes all the time. Sometimes he would catch Harry staring up at Louis while he would be talking. He would stare with such adoration and admiration in his eyes. It often pained Liam that both boys couldn’t see how hopelessly in love they were with each other. But he guess that people handled love differently.

Before leaving the room Liam leaned over to Harry, “He may not be able to talk to you but he can still hear you.”

Harry knew what Liam meant and whether or not Liam had told him to he was going to do it anyways. Harry got as close as he could to Louis without actually being on the bed. He grabbed his hand. It was so soft, so fragile. It was almost like holding a newborn baby for the first time. You’re scared to hold to tight because you don’t want to hurt them, but then not too loose because you fear of dropping them.

"Well Lou, look what you did this time you’re in hospital." Harry chuckled to himself, he thought if he tried to add some humor while talking the pain he was feeling in his chest, in his head, neck, the pain he was feeling everywhere would go away. But he knew too well that that pain wasn’t going away until Louis woke up.

"Louis, it’s so weird to see you laying here, not moving, not talking, not telling jokes... not smiling that brilliant smile that made me start to fall for you in the first place.." The tears started now. ".. Yup, you heard me. Louis I’m in love with you. I always have been. I don’t know if you feel the same way but I’m almost positive you do. You’re perfect Louis. You can make the strangest faces and still be on the world’s sexiest man list. When I see you smiling I can’t help but to smile too. As cheesy as it sounds when you're happy, I’m happy, and when your upset, I’m upset because seeing you that way is like putting a knife thru my heart. You’re the only one who can know what I’m thinking before I’ve even thought it myself. You know me better than I know myself. Louis ever since X Factor I’ve loved you. I don’t know what took me so long to realise it but I’m glad I did. I’m glad we kissed at Liam's party. And if I do say so myself your probably the one of the best kissers every." Harry chuckled again. "I know you may not be able to hear me but Louis you can’t leave me, because you have my heart and if you leave then I leave because that’s exactly what living without you would be like. It’d be like living without a heart.. Impossible" The tears were flowing rapidly down his cheek by this point.

Harry squeezed Louis' hand, stood up and placed a kiss on his forehead. Harry could have swore Louis squeezed his hand after his lips left his forehead but there was no time for thinking about any of that. Any amount of hope he had felt, had left his heart and was replaced with utter fear. The monitor opposite him started beeping, and it wasn’t a good beeping.