Got Me on My Toes

Chapter Nine

All Harry could think was to hit the call button on the side of the bed a million times and running to the door shouting "NURSE!! DOCTOR! ANYONE!" He was in the hallway now and saw Paul sprinting towards him, "Harry what's wrong? Has something happened to Louis?!" The boys had just stepped off the elevator when the doctors and nurses had rushed into the room .

Harry ran in behind them as well as Paul, Niall, Zayn and Liam. The doctors were shouting things at the nurses that Harry didn't understand but the beeping had definitely gotten louder. Louis' heart rate was threw the roof. Why was this happening to his friend? What was wrong with him?

"LOUIS!!" he had started to shout and was running towards him when one nurses had said," Sir please stay back." while another nurse was sticking Louis with some needle that had clear liquid in it. "Boys you should go in the waiting room." Paul had said as calm as he could. "NO! I'm not leaving Louis!" Harry shouted while Zayn and Liam each grabbed an arm and dragged him towards the waiting room. Niall eyes were clouded with so many tears, he nearly tripped over a medicine cart in the hall.

Harry was furious that the boys had taking him away from Louis, especially Liam. Liam knew how he felt about Louis. His face was wet with tears and red with rage. Liam could see the aggravation and distress in Harry’s face. Liam knew he would be mad at him because he took him away from Louis, but they had no choice. He decided he should at least try and comfort Harry even if it wasn’t possible.

"Go away." Harry said with crossed arms.

"Harry I'm sorry but you, hell, none of us what to see what they were doing to Louis in there."

"Liam, how could you take me away from him? Especially when he’s like that, you know how I fell about him. If he never knows and if I never know if he feels the same way I will forever be broken. I won't be able to live Liam. One Direction will be over if he doesn't make it because he'll be gone and so will I, maybe not physically but mentally and emotionally." Tears were rushing from both boys eyes now. Liam wasn't sure if he should tell Harry how Louis felt or if he should wait. But what if he didn't make it? He didn't want to think that way but he was the one that always had to be prepared so he would know what to do with the boys and what to say to the media. Trying to prepare himself for what might happen to one of his best mates was unbearable.

-*-

Paul walked into the waiting room to meet four wet faces. When they saw him they all rushed over asking him about a million questions, "Is he okay?" "What happened?" He tried to calm them a little before telling him.

"Boys..." he said almost too serious. The younger lads before him all fell silent and the tears were starting in all their eyes even his. "Louis is still in a coma; His heart rate had gone almost uncontrollably high. They came to the conclusion that he was given to high of a dosage of some vitamin. He’s steady now. The doctor said the blood results should be back within the next hour and a half. They’ve put an urgency on them. Louis' Mum and Dad should be here by 5. The doctors suggest you all should go home and get some rest. They’re sure Louis is stable now." Before finishing his last sentence he already knew what he was going to get from the youngest of the boys.

"Paul, I’m not leaving him."

"Harry, you’re going to have to get some sleep."

"It doesn’t even matter, if I’m here or not I won’t be able to sleep because I’ll know he’s here. Alone. I’m not saying it’s going to be easy for you guys to sleep either," he said gesturing towards his 3 friends, "but I’m not leaving here, no matter what anyone says."

Paul wasn’t going to put up anymore of a fight. He knew Harry wouldn’t leave Louis.

"Okay, but I’m sure the rest of you are going to want to be here all day tomorrow, so why don’t you go and get some sleep." The other 3 boys shook their heads in denial.

"We’re not going anywhere until we know what’s wrong with Louis. I don’t care if we have to sleep on the floor or not sleep at all. We’re not leaving." Zayn had said in the strongest most sternest voice he could make come out.

Paul nodded and watched the 4 brothers walk down the hall to the room where their other brother was laying.

3:17 am

Paul had walked in with the doctor. "They got the test results back." Paul said, trying to reassure the boys who were all in the same spot that he had left them just over 10 minutes ago.

"Yes, Mr. Tomlinson’s tests are back. Everything is normal for the most part. May I ask if Mr. Tomlinson has been experiencing any dizziness or headaches lately, within the last week maybe?"

The boys didn’t need to think hard before Niall choked out, "Tonight, at the restaurant after we finished eating, before we were about to leave Louis could barely stand. He said it was because he ate too much but he was probably lying. He doesn’t like when other people are worried about him."

"Yea and before he collapsed back at the flat, I saw this look of absolute confusion cross his eyes. That could have been dizziness right?" Harry had quickly added, trying to figure out what they doctor was getting at.

"Yes. Most defiantly. But that’s all you guys can remember?" The doctor said looking at each boy. Who returned head nods.

"Well, that we know of anyways. Louis went back home for 4 days, he had just gotten back today. That’s why we all went out. Kind of like a 'Welcome Back'" Liam added in case it was important.

"Okay so, so far we know that there are 2 times you lads can recall him being dizzy but not telling you. Do you think he would have told his Mum." the doctor questioned them again.

"Oh Yeah." They all said in unison. Louis was a total Mummies Boy.

"Okay so we can assume that these feelings were as recent as today. This is a good thing because that means we caught it before it could get any worse."

"Before what could get any worse?" Harry asked the question they were all thinking.

"Well we have to do one more test, but we believe that Louis has a case of Viral Meningitis. Which causes nausea, dizziness, seizures, and in most cases vomiting. Because we may have caught it so early on it probably hasn’t had much time to have major damage." The doctor explained.

"What other test do you have to do?" Liam asked the agonizing question this time.
"It’s not a very comfortable one, but since Louis is already in a coma it shouldn’t cause him to much pain. We have to do a spinal tap. This will extract the fluid within Louis’ spinal column, to test for the virus and bacteria. We have to test for both because if one shows up then we know it’s not the other. Even though it’s not much better, hope for it to be the Viral one. I suspect it is, but just to make sure. Because Louis is already in a coma it shouldn’t be too painful, as I already said, but to make sure he doesn’t wake up and move and permanently damage his spine were going to give him some sedatives, which will induce a medical coma. The Viral Meningitis can be treated with antibiotics, and 9 times out of 10 has no long term affects."

"How long will the test results take to come back?" Niall asked.

"They usually come back within 45 minutes to an hour."

This was the last thing the doctor has said before 3 nurses walked in. They must have been there to do the spinal tap.

"If I could please ask you to wait outside for few minutes, we'll be done in no time." The doctor said.

Harry really didn’t want to go but he had no choice this time.

4:30 am

Mr. and Mrs. Tomlinson had just walked in. Louis' Mum was already in tears. Paul filled in Mr.T while his ex-wife sat next to their son holding his free hand. Harry was of course holding on to the other like it was Louis' life line. But what Harry didn’t know was that in reality it was.

Mrs. Tomlinson looked at Harry with wide eyes and was about to say something when they doctor had walked in.

"Ahh you must be the parents of this young man. Well I’ll be happy to inform you all it is Viral Meningitis. We've caught it at its prim beginning, so it'll be very treatable. We're going to start him on the antibiotic right away. We are also going to reverse the coma in about 5 hour’s time. But let me remind you he was already in a coma before we put him under, so he might not wake up right away."

Nods and smiles were spread across the room. The doctor left right as a nurse has come in. She stuck a bag with white milky fluid in it on Louis' bag hanger that held 2 other bags.

After she left Mr. T told the rest of the boys and Paul to go home and get some rest. Again Harry refused to leave. Mr. T knew why he didn’t want to leave. He was assuming that Louis had told him.
But before Mr. or Mrs. Tomlinson could say anything Liam asked to talk to them out in the hallway.
"Is everything alright Liam?" Mrs. Tomlinson asked.

"Yes. I just wanted to tell you guys that Louis hasn’t told Harry yet. He was planning on telling him tonight and I’m guessing when he was about to is when he collapsed." Liam said.

"We'll be sure not to say anything." Louis' Dad said

"See you tomorrow." Liam said catching up with the others down towards the elevators.

4:45 am

Louis' Dad had gone to get something to eat for himself and Louis' Mum. Harry was still sitting in the same spot, but this time he had his feet on the end of another chair he had put in front of him. It was like a makeshift bed. He was still holding Louis' hand. He was not letting go no matter what. He oddly positioned himself so he could be stretched out but also so he could see Louis' perfect face. He was still extremely pale. His eyes were closed, and his cheeks were chubbier than usual. Harry assumed it was because of all the fluids the doctor had pumping into him so he wouldn’t dehydrate.
Harry was mindlessly staring at his sandy-haired friend when she broke the silence, "He looks so peaceful doesn’t he." Harry wasn’t sure how long she had been standing there but he didn’t care.

"Yea, I just wish he were awake." he sighed out.

"You know I really meant what I said earlier on the phone. You know when you first called me." she had said sitting across from him. Harry knew exactly what she was talking about. It had been bothering him all night.

Before he could ask she started to explain, "Harry, Louis will never leave you. As long as your here, he's going to be here. Even if he has to fight the most dangerous of wars, he would stay here as long as you do. I know he probably hasn’t told you why he came back home this past weekend, but I just want you to know that you shouldn’t be worried about losing him. He really does love you Harry." She finished off with one of the sweetest most genuine smiles Harry has ever received from someone.

What was that supposed to mean. He had so much in his head right now, he didn’t want to be trying to solve riddles in his head. The next thing made it clear to him what she meant. "Harry, I know how you feel about my son. I can tell by the way you look at him. He looks at you the same exact way. You two have always been extremely close. I had a feeling from the beginning that you two had strong feelings for each other, even if you yourselves didn’t realise it."

She didn’t exactly say that Louis had feelings for him, but he knew what she meant. He gave her the biggest smile he may have ever had, and a single tear, not from sadness but from joy, feel to the floor.