Life Inc.

Prologue

Louis stared longingly at the object of affection, resting the cheek on the palm of his hand, propping himself up on his elbow. He was vaguely aware of the desk pushing uncomfortably into his stomach, the cold, hard plastic of the chair making him want to fidget, but he ignored them both, considering pining a much better use of his time at the given moment.

The teacher was still downloading that day’s lesson, back stiff and eyelids twitching. This is what had given the class of sixteen year olds a chance to stand around and socialize. Louis’ gaze briefly swept over the various groups of friends, studying them, before returning to the one person he was interested in.

Harry Styles was leaning his slight frame against a desk, his arm around his perfect girlfriend’s waist, her blond hair shimmering in the light as she laughed at the joke he had just told. His perfect friends laughed too, gathered around them. Harry grinned, infuriatingly green eyes twinkling, flashing perfect teeth.

Louis knew Harry’s friends were perfect for him, and he knew that his girlfriend was too. The Company didn’t make mistakes or waste time on relationships and friendships that wouldn’t work or benefit their undisclosed purpose. Once you had found your most compatible match, you were with them for life.

Louis sighed, silently berating himself for slowly falling in love with this boy that he knew would never even see him. It was ridiculous and foolish and so unlike him, but he had been so lonely and from the moment he had first laid eyes on the angelic creature, he had been enchanted.

The teacher finally stood up, the groups dispersing and the class sitting down. As the teacher began to talk, those who were designated to pay attention did so, and those designated to mess around fulfilled their roles just as well, and then there was Louis.
It didn’t matter that he was still staring at the green-eyed teenager – wishing that it was his hand that ran through those soft curls instead of Harry’s own – because no one would catch him. No one knew he existed. Literally.

He was chipless.