How It All Should Have Gone

Don't Talk To Me...

We need to talk about this, I already told my parents... It was Jesse.
Now? I ask.
Sure. Bring Kade. His family wants to talk with my dad.
We'll be over in thirty? I ask telling my dad what's going on.
Ten... He texts back. This almost feels like when we were dating. I'll text back a medium and he'll agree, or at least that's how it use to work.
Twenty. I want it to be easy again.
Same old Rachel, fifteen. He sends back bringing reality back to me.
Not really...Be there then.

I go into the bathroom and fix my make-up. My dad holds the car door open for me and I get out. Jesse's house looks so familiar but so different. It's like I'm looking at it in a dream. I know it so well but yet it's no longer the happy place it once was. The big house stands there and I slowly walk up to the front door with my father. He knocks and Louie, their butler, answers the door.
“Hi Louie.” I smile at the man whose always been like family to me.
“Rachel! How's the news?” Our own little inside joke. I'm so happy he's the same I almost start crying.
“Still depressing.” I smile.
“Rachel, Keith.” Mrs. St. James looks down at her unborn grandchild.
“Deb. How are you?” My dad asks.
“I've been better.” She says walking into the family room. We follow and I see Mr. St. James pouring himself a drink. Jesse is rubbing his temple.
“Hello Rachel, Keith.” Mr. St. James greets us.
“Hello Mr. St. James.” I say shyly.
“Sit.” He says gesturing toward the couch.
Okay, I won't beat around the bush here Rachel. We are prepared to give you 18,000 dollars to just leave Jesse alone.” Mr. St. James takes a sip of his drink and waits.
“What?” I ask confused.
“That's the price of a child from birth to two years. I think that price is very reasonable.” He says.
“You honestly think we came here for money John?” My dad raises his voice.
“Keith, please, don't get upset.” Mrs. St. James says. I look over at Jesse confused. He won't look at me and I know that this wasn't his idea. Our dads are arguing about what Mr. St. James just offered. I look down at my belly and place my hand on the top of it. The baby moves and I look back at Jesse.
“Stop!” I yell.
“I don't want your money. I didn't come here for money. I wouldn't be here at all if you had just moved like you were suppose to! I didn't tell Jesse about the baby because our relationship was never about money or popularity. It was about love and if our love made this.” I say touching my stomach.
“And I'm fine with that and I'm okay if you don't want to be apart of this child's life but don't for a minute think that you can buy the love your son and I shared because you can't! It was special and it was pure and it was true and not even all of the money in the world could take that from me. So keep your money because I never for a second wanted any of it. Dad, I want to go now.” I say standing up. I look at Jesse and when he looks back I can see the pain in his heart. My own heart is beating fast with emotion.
“I loved you. Not your money or your popularity and I really thought you better than...this” I tell Jesse waving my hands around the room.
“Rachel, that isn't fair! You didn't even tell me about the baby! You didn't even give me a chance.”
“Because you broke up with me Jesse. For no reason. You just left one day out of the blue without an explanation. You broke my heart, not the other way around. I did give you a chance. The day in the auditorium. I asked you if you were gonna break my heart because I didn't even wanna start a relationship if you were going to and what did you say Jesse? Do you even remember?” I ask with tears streaming down my face.
“Rachel...” Is all he says.
“You said, “Jesse, the guy who would never hurt you” and I said “Rachel, the girl that would die if you do”. Guess which one of us lied Jesse. It wasn't me. I died inside the day you dumped me. Ask anyone. So don't stand there and tell me I never gave you a chance. Don't look at me with judgment in your eyes because if you couldn't be honest with me when we were together why should I be honest with you now that it's over?” I wait for his answer.
“Because that baby is mine too Rachel.” He avoids the bigger picture like he always has.
“And apparently, from what's happened here, you don't even want. So, ya know what? Why don't we all pretend that you really did move and that you never even found out about this? I won't list you on the birth certificate and I will continue to not tell anyone who the father is. And everyone can go back to their lives.”
“That sounds fine with us.” Mr. St. James breaks into our conversation.
“Well, there ya go Jesse. You can go back to your perfect life now.” I snort then walk to their door.
“Rachel-” He tried again. I turn towards him.
“Jesse, don't. Don't text me. Don't call me. Don't talk to me at school. Don't stare at me during classes and don't mention my name to anyone. I'm very done with you now.” It's the last thing I say before leaving with my dad.
♠ ♠ ♠
What Do You All Think Is Gonna Happen? How Do You Like It So Far?