Status: A Work in Progress :)

Once In A Lifetime Love

Chaper 2: Big Brother & Text Messages

Hey guys! Here's the next chapter. Things are going kind of slow right now, but I promise they'll pick up in a few chapters. I've got a lot planned for this story, so just bare with me. Anyways, here's Chapter 2! Enjoy and let me know what you think!!

~ Keri

***************************************************

“Hi big brother, how’s Chicago?” Ally answered without even looking at her phone. She knew it was her brother because of the ringtone.

“Not too bad, how’s Boston? I’m surprised you haven’t called me yet,” Patrick laughed softly on the other end, taking a seat on his couch that sat in the middle of his condo.

Ally blushed slightly as she thought about her day, mainly thought about who she met. She was thankful that her brother was miles away.

“It’s good. I would have called you but I’ve been busy getting settled in with school and whatnot ya know?” she answered, not wanting to give away too much just yet, she needed to brace her brother for what she was going to tell him, at some point.

“You met a boy didn’t you?”

Did she mention how much she hated how easy it was for him to read her?

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Quit the bullshit, what’s his name?”

Ally sighed, putting her iPhone on speaker before throwing it down on her bed so she could put her hair in a messy ponytail. Did she want to tell him all about Tyler just yet, or let him just believe it was some random guy? He’d probably figure it out at some point anyways, might as well tell him.

“His name is Tyler, Tyler Seguin.”

Her brother was quiet for a minute and Ally was starting to worry, big time.

“Tyler Seguin, as in the new rookie for the Bruins?” he asked.

Ally nodded, but then forgot that he obviously couldn’t see her. “Yes, as in the new rookie for the Bruins. I legit ran into him this afternoon and he kinda walked me back to the apartment. He asked me to hang out tomorrow.”

Patrick sighed, running his hand through his blond curls, no longer lying on his couch. He loved his sisters, but this one, his youngest, the rebel, was going to be the death of him. He knew what it was like to be a young rookie in the NHL, he didn’t want his little sister to be exposed to that kind of thing, but he also knew he couldn’t tell her who she can and cannot hang out with, especially when he’s in Chicago and she’s in Boston.

“Please Ally, just be careful.”

“I know Pat, I know. He knows who I am too,” she said softly. Hoping that would make a difference.

“What do you mean he knows who you are?”

“He knows that you’re my brother. He said that we look exactly the same except you’re blond and I’m brunette.”

“I know what rookie’s are like Ally, I was one once remember?”

“I know Patrick, but I can take care of myself, I’m not an idiot.”

Ally was really hoping that things weren’t going to escalade any further with her brother. She knew he meant well and that he was only looking out for her, but she was 18 years old, (barely, considering her birthday was last week, August 15 to be exact.) she could very easily take care of herself now.

“I’m fully aware of that Ally, I don’t doubt it at all. I’m just looking out for you. You’re my baby sister, starting all over in a completely new place, I just want you to be safe,” he told her, rolling his blue eyes on the other line, his tone quiet and concerned.

Ally was silent, before she sighed and spoke, hoping she wasn’t going to hurt him. “I appreciate it, but Pat, you can’t protect me forever. I have to learn and make my own mistakes.”

Patrick groaned. “I’m going to always try to protect you no matter how old you get, same goes for Erica, Jess and Jackie too, so you can forget that. I just worry about you Ally, with the way things went back home last year, I just want what’s best for you and I want you to be safe.”

“I know you do,” she smiled lightly, picking at the bottom of her white t-shirt; which was actually Patrick’s. “You’re the best big brother anyone could ever ask for.”

That put a smile on his face. He tried, and he tried his damn best to be the greatest older brother that he could be. He wanted to be the older brother that interrogated the boys that came to pick up his sisters for a date, and he did the best he could, it was just a lot harder for him than it was for normal brothers. Leaving home at a young age put a strain on his relationship with his sisters, but they worked through it, the five of them being closer than imaginable. He loved his sisters to no end and would go to the ends of the Earth for them.

His relationship with Ally was different though. With her being the baby and him being the oldest, you would think that they wouldn’t be as close as they were. Ally was the athlete out of the girls, the one that never complained about being dragged to a hockey game for Pat, or having to sit at a practice. That was one of the things that they loved doing together; play hockey.

Patrick was hesitant to be ok with allowing her to see Tyler, but there wasn’t anything he could do about it in Chicago. It was just, after what happened to her last year, during her senior year in high school, he’d been much more aware and on edge about her being with boys. He knew he would need to get over it at some point, even Jonathan Toews told him he needed to let it go, but he just couldn’t, not yet. His sister deserved better, and he was not going to let her settle for anything less than she deserved, NHL player or not.

“I love you Patrick. I know you’re hard on yourself because you can’t be there for us a lot because you’re living your dream, but we don’t mind. We know that you’d be there in a heartbeat if any of us needed you and we’re extremely grateful for that. But don’t worry, we can take care of ourselves. As much as you hate to believe it, we’re growing up you know,” Ally spoke softly, trying to do her best to ease her brother’s mind and heart.

“I love you too Ally. You sure I’ve been doing a good job at being the big brother?”

She laughed lightly at how vulnerable he sounded, sitting herself back on her bed, turning to grab her laptop off the desk. “Of course I’m sure! We know it’s hard, but Pat, we’re so proud of you. You’re living your dream, and you’re so amazing at it. I love being able to brag to people that you’re my brother.”

He smiled. That, right there, was one of the many reasons why he loved his little sister so much.

"I swear though Ally, that kid does anything to hurt you, I'm kicking his ass back to Canada. I don't care if you're in Boston and I'm in Chicago, if he hurts you in any way shape or form I'll make sure he never plays hockey again. Understood?"

Ally smiled. She knew he meant well, and that's why she wasn't completely offended with the threat. "I understand Patty. You taught me how to punch remember? I won't let him do shit, and you know Taylor won't either."

"Good, as long as we're on the same page," he smiled, dimples and all. "Now, enough of this sappiness,” he laughed lightly, getting off his ass and walking into his room to change into something a little more presentable than the sweatpants he was in. “I gotta get going, I’m going out with Tazer, but I’ll talk to you later ok?”

“Ok, I love you big brother, tell Johnny I said hi,” she replied as her laptop started up.

“I love you too, little sister. Remember what I said. If you ever need me my phone is always on for you.”

Ally smiled to herself. As much as she hated her overprotective big brother, she really did appreciate him. “Thank you. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Later Ally.”

She hung up her phone before placing it on her bedside table. As soon as she let go of her phone she heard the door of the apartment open and she knew that her best friend was home.

“Ally! I’m back!” Taylor yelled as she slammed the door.

No shit, you’re not exactly the quietest person in the world.

“How’s your paper?” Ally questioned, walking into the kitchen and grabbing a water bottle from the fridge.

“Not bad,” she answered, grabbing for the water bottle that Ally just had.

“Hey!”

Taylor smirked before taking a sip from the bottle. “You’ll get over it.”

Allyson scoffed, giving her best friend a glare and made her way to the small living room area, debating if she was going to tell her who she met today or not.

“How was the rest of your afternoon? Did you talk to your brother at all?”

She sighed. She couldn’t keep this from her best friend, they told each other everything. Plus, she needed to have her help to pick out an outfit tomorrow.

“Yeah, I just hung up with him when you walked in.”

Taylor looked at Ally, knowing that there was something that she wasn’t telling her. “What aren’t you telling me? I can tell that you have something else to say, so just spill it Kane.”

Taking a deep breath Ally spoke quickly. “IranintoTylerSeguinonmywayhomewe’rehangingouttomorrow.”

Taylor stared at her brunette friend like she had six heads. “You wanna run that one by me again; I didn’t get a single word out of that mumbo jumbo you just fed me.”

“I ran into Tyler Seguin on my way home from Dunkin’ Donuts. He ended up walking me home and we’re hanging out tomorrow.”

“YOU MET TYLER SEGUIN AND YOU’RE HANGING OUT WITH HIM TOMORROW?! Wait, who’s Tyler Seguin?”

Of course she wouldn’t know who he is, she didn’t follow the draft like I did. Plus, Pat has told me about him before.

“He’s the new rookie for the Bruins. He’s only 18.”

“Ok, so now that I know his age, more importantly, is he cute?”

Ally laughed. “Yes Taylor, he’s cute. Do you want to see a picture? I’m sure I can find one on the internet.”

She gave her a look that basically said “are you freaking nuts, yes I want to see a picture!”

“Ok, ok, lemme go get my laptop, hold your horses.”

The duo spent the rest of the evening googling said rookie and the Bruins. If they were going to be living in Boston, they might as well expand their knowledge for the team that they’d most likely be seeing quite a bit of. Hockey after all was a sport that they both grew up with, and they were of course going to be going to games this winter, that wasn’t a question.

“He is adorable!” Taylor smiled after they sat and looked through pictures of the young new NHL player. Neither one could believe that he was only 18 and already in the NHL; although it shouldn’t have surprised them much; there were a lot of guys that entered the NHL between 18 and 20.

“I wonder if he’s any good,” Taylor asked, the end of her question trailing off as she flipped to another picture. Ally stared at her, wondering what she was getting at.

“Any good..?” she asked, raising her left brow, hoping she wasn’t talking about what she thought.

The blond looked back with wide eyes. “I didn’t mean like that you fool! I meant I wonder if he’s actually any good at hockey!”

Ally let out a sigh of relief, silently thanking God that they weren’t going to have that conversation. It was not something that she wanted to do at this point.

“Obviously he’s good if he was drafted number two overall.”

Closing the laptop, Taylor smiled. “That doesn’t mean shit. Is he actually going to do something and help the Bruins this year or is he just going to be a bench warmer, that’s what I want to know.”

The brunette laughed at her best friend. She had grown up in a small Southwestern Massachusetts town before moving to Buffalo in high school, so she was a die hard Bruins fan since birth. It was quite funny to be a spectator when they watched hockey games together; both families getting a kick out of it every time the Bruins played the Sabres; or when the Bruins played the Blackhawks in the past few years.

“Who knows, I guess we’ll find out huh?” she asked, getting up and making her way into the kitchen to find something to make for dinner.

“Lord knows something has to happen. We haven’t seen the cup in Beantown in so long that I’m starting to wonder if I’ll ever see it here in my lifetime.”

“You are an absolute fool, but that’s why you’re my best friend.”

Picking up the box of cereal on the counter, Taylor smirked. “So, now that we’ve got all of this established, what are you wearing tomorrow?”

Blushing, Ally shoved a spoonful of Cheerios into her mouth. “Good question,” she answered after chewing and swallowing. “I haven’t given it much thought, I was hoping you would help me.”

Taylor nodded, taking a seat at the small island in the middle of their kitchen, the bowl of dry cereal in front of her. “Of course I’ll help, any idea on what you’re doing?”

She shook her head. “Nope, no idea. He said he’d text me tomorrow…”

“YOU ALREADY HAVE HIS NUMBER?! Damn girl, before you know it you’ll be banging a Bruin!”

“TAYLOR MARIE RILEY!!! I CAN NOT BELIEVE YOU JUST SAID THAT! Actually,” Ally paused, finishing her bite, “I can believe you said that, I really shouldn’t have been surprised.”

Taylor just gave her a smile and a look that said “duh, how long have you known me?” and continued to eat.

The silence that was between the two eighteen year old girls was interrupted when a cell phone went off, indicating someone had a new text.

“Wasn’t me,” Taylor said immediately. “Mine’s still on vibrate from being at the library.”

“I wonder who it was…” Ally spoke as she made her way into her bedroom, very curious as to who sent her a message.

Her blue eyes went wide when she looked at the screen and saw the name across it. Text Message: Tyler.

“Who is it?” Taylor yelled.

Ally walked back into the kitchen with a bright smile on her face. “Oh you know, just a cute, young, NHL rookie.”

“What’d he say!?” the blond questioned loudly, her cereal long forgotten as she jumped from the stool and sprinted over to her best friend, jumping over the small table in the process.

“Jesus Christ man, will you relax? You’re more excited about this than I am!”

Taylor rolled her eyes. “If you don’t read that message in the next .5 seconds, I’m going to do it for you.”

Opening the text, a small smile found its way onto Ally’s face.

“What’s it say?” Taylor questioned, completely anxious to know what the rookie said to her best friend.

Ally handed the iPhone over to the blond.

“Hey, I was thinking we could grab an early lunch and then maybe go to the park tomorrow?”

“Aw, that’s really cute! I have just the outfit for you to wear!”

As Taylor ran off towards Ally’s room, Ally responded to the text.

“That sounds good to me, where do you want me to meet you?”

“I’ll just pick you up if that’s ok, say around 11?”

“Perfect. I’ll see you tomorrow :)”

“Tomorrow. Goodnight Ally.”

“Goodnight.”

*********
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you all enjoyed! I know it was long, but I couldn't figure out where I wanted to split the chapter. I wanted to give a little bit of insite on the relationship that Ally has with Patrick, but I also wanted to show the friendship with Taylor. The next chapter most likely won't be up for about a week, I've got my Psychology final on Tuesday so studying for that is priority; but as soon as that's over, I'll be writing a lot!