‹ Prequel: Man vs Hero
Sequel: Sacrifice
Status: Complete.

A Time of Gods

Black Heart

Cat found herself in an impossible situation. She was utterly devastated - meaning she was off her game. When she crossed paths with agents she was disorientated and fought clumsily. Cat continued to hurt people -this time inflicting physical pain. She heard their uniforms tear and the flesh rip as the metal claws of her gloves tore in to Fury's people as she tried to defend herself.

Cat almost lost the last fight as one of the ships engines was taken out and she was thrown forward. Relief spread through her, knowing that the back-up had arrived and her only way out was presented. She had to double back to get to Loki and get to the hellicarrier.

If she were honest with herself, Cat had to have known from the moment she got involved with Loki that this would be her only option in the end. She wondered if even Steve, intent on seeing the good in people, had believed his own words. If she had gone to Nick Fury and confessed would they have found a way to forgive her? Would she ever even see Steve again? Could she stand to see him look at her after everything she had done? And she recalled the raw, broken expression on his face.

A tremendous roar seemed to shake the very core of the ship and Cat realised that Banner hadn't been able to control the beast within. She had to reach Loki now. She didn't want to think about what would happen if the Hulk crashed in to her path. She was nowhere near strong enough to take him on alone -nobody would come to her aid, and her common sense and quick thinking had seemingly deserted her.

Cat moved swiftly, facing little opposition as the commotion on the ship was uproar and Fury struggled to regain control. For the second time in as many hours, the glass cage came in to view -or it should have. There was only an empty space where the glass container had once stood, and Loki was free. Cat arrived in time to watch the scene that had unfolded between those who were once kin. She hadn't seen the look on Thor's face, with the evident pain which was readable to even a stranger, knowing that the brotherly soul once belonging to his brother had been consumed by the darkness of the abyss.

Cat watched with abhorrent horror as the blade of the scepter pierced Coulson; her friend. She rushed to Coulson's side, knowing the blast that had hit Loki wasn't enough to properly wound him, and wouldn't keep him down for long. Coulson's white shirt was rapidly dampening as the blood flowed from the stab wound. Cat instinctively applied pressure and looked around desperately for help, her bright green eyes shining with panic.

"Don't move Phil," she instructed as he tried to sit up properly.

"I thought you were an angel," Phil tried to joke.

"Only the devil." Cat said morosely, but forcing a smile for her friend.

"You always manage to get yourself caught up in things you can't handle," Phil attempted a smile, and winced. They could hear the sound of approaching footsteps. "You need to go Felicia."

Cat shook her head, fighting back a new wave of tears stinging her eyes, "I can't -"

"Go."

Image

Loki was triumphant, he could taste the sweet victory awaiting him. He believed he had destroyed the only opposition ready to stand against him and now the prize was his for the taking, he only had to reach out and grasp it.

A crash came from the back of the hellicarrier, rupturing his delicious thoughts of domination. Loki left the pilot with clear instructions and went into the back.

Cat was sitting with her head in her hands. Loki took in her mood and the impressive fist shaped dent in the metal bench beside her. He hadn't spoken to her since they had made their escape. Loki breathed an irritated sigh, expecting her to look up at him once he had made his presence known to her. But Cat didn't seem to notice him.

"Felicia." His voice was stern, commanding

Doing her best to compose herself, Cat briskly swallowed her tears and pushed back her hair with bare fingers. She looked up at him, their eyes met and Loki's smile ceased to be. Still without speaking a word, Cat took something from the bench beside her; the once white glove, now stained with the blood of Phil Coulson. She threw it at Loki's feet.

"That is the price of your decision," he said.

Was he saying that she was responsible for Coulson's death?

"People will always betray you in the end Felicia," he said nonchalantly, "the moment you sided with me you should have forgotten the friendships you once had."

"I should have forgone relationships of any kind," she muttered morosely. She got up and went to move around him but he grabbed her arm. She didn't fight against his touch -she was numb, but she couldn't look at him straight away.

How could he just kill someone point blank without a hint of remorse? How could he take pleasure in destroying his own brother? She had known from the start that Loki was ruthless, he had made no secret of the fact, but he was a cold blooded killer. Had all warmth escaped his heart to leave it a frozen organ?

Loki saw that look in those green eyes he found so captivating. The look which mirrored that of all he met now. She had finally discovered what he was, and he shivered. Loki released his grasp on her arm and gingerly reached out to run his thumb across her pale cheek, catching a fleeing tear. He had been attracted to Felicia's strength, her pride, her fearless nature, but he had had a hand in reducing her to this lost, frightened doe which stood before him. Loki was torn between pushing her away, and trying to sooth some of her pain.

"We're so close," his voice was barely above a whisper. When he kissed her she leaned into him and for those few minutes she was free from her heartache.

When Loki left her, it became clear to Cat what she had to do. She had to make a choice, however hard it would prove. Would she stand by Loki and help him succeed? She would gain the power and wealth she had always dreamt of, but see the destruction and devastation of a nation.

Or would she try to redeem herself in the eyes of morality?
♠ ♠ ♠
Image