‹ Prequel: Man vs Hero
Sequel: Sacrifice
Status: Complete.

A Time of Gods

The Trickster

Silk bedsheets meant very little when there was something troubling Felicia. Usually, she could curl up beneath the ebony sheets and immediately lose herself to a dreamless sleep, closing out the memories of the deals she had made over the past few days. Tonight was an exception, her mind was plagued only with thoughts of the Tesseract and the power it emitted.

A light tap, inaudible to some, was enough to stir Felicia from the subtle realm of sleep that had finally begun to take hold. Her eyes opened abruptly at the prospect of an intruder. Once growing heavy, she was now wide awake and waited for any other sound -but none came. This wasn't enough for her to try sleep again and pushing the black satin eye-mask up to rest on her hair, she slid from the side of the bed. She made no noise as her bare feet met the rug, the matching ivory chemise fell to her thighs. With the silence of an assassin, she reached inside the nightstand drawer and retrieved the semi-automatic handgun that was always kept there.

Felicia had been focusing on the closed bedroom door, not aware that the intruder was already in the room. There was a large leather chair in the corner of the room and beside it a reading lamp, which was switched on to cast a dim light throughout the bedroom and illuminate the person sitting there. His impressive frame filled the chair. His elbow rested on the leather arm and a hand propped up his chin while he watched her.
He was attractive, with defined features, jet black hair smoothed back and flawless alabaster skin, all of which only enhanced the piercing colour of his eyes.

Felicia had the gun pointed at the intruders head in an instant. He only smiled, a sadistic kind of smile which made her stomach churn with an emotion uncommon to her; fear.

"If you'd be so kind as to tell me your name, before I put a bullet in your head."

His smile turned in to one of amusement. "You've never shot anyone before have you? At least, never shot to kill."

"I'll admit it's not my usual style. I prefer something untraceable which doesn't involve cops." Felicia smiled, "As for shooting to kill, there's always a first time honey. So I'll ask you once more, who are you?"

No longer lost in thought he sat up. This only made him appear more threatening and allowed Felicia a better view of his seemingly regal and otherworldly clothing. "I am Loki of Asgard."

"Loki," she repeated skeptically, "Thor's brother." She noticed how the smile slipped momentarily from his face and his jaw clenched.

Touchy subject. Felicia inwardly smiled. She liked knowing which buttons to press if needed -everyone had an Achilles heel.
"Well, Loki," she drew out his name with a smirk of her own and a finger still dangerously close to the trigger. "How did you get past my security measures? or can I simply assume these things don't work on the trickster God."

So she knew of his power, this pleased him but he turned the questions to her, "How did you get into S.H.I.E.L.D. unaided and unseen?"

Felicia didn't allow her mask of confidence to slip, even for a second. She had known men like Loki, in attitude only of course, but manipulation was their hobby and the main thing they searched for were signs of weakness. She hadn't seen him at the S.H.I.E.L.D. facility, though she'd been in a position to see all. And yet...

"Are you going point that pathetic weapon at me all night?"

Felicia tilted her head and lowered the gun to her side, but not disregarding it completely. "Not now that I know the bullets wouldn't so much as scratch you."

Loki's smile grew. From what he'd observed of this planet, most humans would have begun shooting blindly at a threat, but not her. Why shoot someone as powerful as he?
"Well done Felicia, I think we are going to get along just fine."

She didn't question how he knew he name, nothing would surprise her while there was a Norse God in her home. "Are you going to tell me why you're here?"

"Curiosity."

"You are curious about me?" Felicia placed a hand on her chest. "I'm just a girl from Queens."

"Oh, but you're not," Loki stood now and his presence grew. "You've turned down more than one offer from S.H.I.E.L.D. That doesn't seem to be a regular occurrence here."

"That life involves self sacrifice. I only believe in the 'self' part," she shrugged. "I'll let others play the hero."

He glanced around at the framed paintings on the walls. "Working for such a prestigious company is considered much more acceptable than the life of a thief."

"I'm not a thief, I'm a private dealer."

Loki turned back to study her.
She had such unique reactions for her race. Though he already knew -because he was Loki and knew all he required- that Felicia had superhuman traits, she would still succumb to ridiculous human emotions and heart. Yet she acted differently, Indifferent so to speak, to most situations. Her heart rate had bumped only slightly since his arrival.

"You don't fear me." He let his observation be known, but oddly he wasn't incensed by this.

"Why should I fear you? You're only a shade of your true form."

Loki's brows raised. Impressive. This creature was sharp.

"If anything I'm frustrated, I was just falling asleep when you showed up."
There was a glimmer in Loki's bright eyes as they flickered over Felicia and to the bed. He had been here for some time before he decided to make himself known. He had watched her writhe beneath the sheets as she tried to grasp sleep. "Now if you'd be so kind as to tell me, what someone like you could possibly want with little old me?"

He approached her now, with his hands folded behind his back. "I see us having some fun together Felicia. Do what I ask of you and perhaps, when I have conquered your forsaken planet I shall keep you alive. You can be my pet." Loki skimmed over her body and back up to her emerald eyes. There was no denying that she was beautiful. Her silky white-gold locks fell effortlessly over her shoulders and her full lips were parted slightly, while the chemise accentuated her curves.

An incredulous laugh escaped Felicia. "I thought you had been observing me Loki," she sounded out his name to let it be known she wouldn't be referring to him in a stately manner anytime soon. "I'm not an employee, not even your silver tongue will persuade me otherwise."

"I can reward you with power and riches beyond your wildest dreams."

"I don't understand, you have the power to make me do your biding, or at least I assume you do when in your real form, so why are you asking me?"

"Think over my offer Felicia, bare in mind that I'll only accept one answer."

She didn't even blink and he was gone. She scanned the room before she allowed herself to finally put the gun back in the drawer. She felt as if her heart was beating incessantly and that she could feel its unrelenting pounding in her ears, when a moment ago she had been the perfect form of equanimity.

Felicia had no idea what she was getting herself into, but she couldn't remember the last time she had felt so alive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, so when she's out of costume I refer to her as Felicia and when she's in the tight stuff she's known as Cat.
I love everyone who's commented & subscribed, which is why I updated so quick ha.

Image

It's true Rayface, whenever I mention Hawkeye it's purely for you ;)