Status: In Progress

The Icy Lens

Bounce Flash

As James pulled into Matt's driveway, Abby let out an exasperated sigh, "Finally, we're home." It was almost midnight and she was exhausted from their trip back. Within a few minutes she was inside her room and James was carrying in her luggage for her. Abby flopped onto her bed and closed her eyes for a second, and opened them once she felt James kiss her. "You look tired, I'm going to go and sleep at my place tonight," he said while standing over her, "But tomorrow you better be ready for a nice date night ok?" Abby smiled softly as she sat up on the bed and said, "That sounds good to me."

She followed him to the front door, where he grinned and kissed her once more on the lips. "Goodnight Abby, Love You." She continued to smile brightly at him as she said, "Goodnight, Love you too." She watched as he walked down the street back towards his house with his luggage before closing and locking the front door. Abby went back to her room and instantly changed into pj’s before she crawled into her fluffy bed. She kept a smile on her face as she closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Abby was enjoying her dream about going to Italy with James until she was awoken by a phone call at 2AM. She and rolled over to answer it without checking the caller ID, saying 'hello' in a half asleep tone. "Hey Abby, I miss you," said the voice on the other end. She was half asleep, but looked at her phone to see that the number was blocked. "Who is this?" she asked. "It's David," he said on the other line. She blinked her eyes open and couldn't believe it. Why was he calling? And why the hell why did he say he missed her? They had been apart for nearly five months now.

"Abby, I still love you," he said with a slight slur on the phone. "David, are you drunk" she asked still trying to wrap her head around the fact that he called her after all this time. "Maybe a little," he responded, "But I'm calling because I had to say I still love you." She paused for a moment before stuttering out, "But I, I don't love you anymore. It's over. It's been over for a while now."

"Just hear me out. I know I messed up, those other girls didn't mean anything, they were just a good fuck," he continued, "But you were special, and I realize that now. I'm calling because I want you back Abby." She rolled her eyes and said in a harsh tone, "Well you are out of luck, because I've moved on with someone else." He quickly jumped in and said, "What? You have a boyfriend? Who? Let me guess you're with Matt now. I should have known." She quickly responded, "No, It's not Matt, and frankly It's none of your business who I date." She sighed and said, "David, I just suggest you move on. There is no chance in hell of us ever working it out, let alone be friends after what happened. So please just forget about me."

"I can't forget about you Abby," he said, "in fact you are all I've been thinking about. Just break up with whoever it is and come home." She held back a laugh and said, "David, What part of No don't you understand? You and I are history." His voice then became angry as he yelled, "It's not over till I say it's over Abby." She firmly answered back, "No, I say it's over and I'm going to end this right now. Bye David."

She hung up the phone and put her head back on the pillow. Moments later her phone began to ring again. She hit the ignore button several times, but it just kept ringing. She finally just turned her phone on mute before she slipped back under the covers. She hoped he would take the hint and stop calling, he was the last thing she wanted to deal with after that long trip. In fact, she would prefer to never deal with him ever again. Abby closed her eyes, letting her exhaustion take her back to sleep.

--

After letting out a yawn Abby opened her eyes. She rolled over to check the time on her phone, but it was hidden by the notifications on her screen. Over thirty missed calls, seven voice-mails, and countless text message. She deleted everything without even looking or listening. She didn’t want to think about him, the pain he caused her, or give his words any time to be heard. As far as she was concerned they were over and done with; and she wanted it to stay that way.

It was nearly three in the afternoon, so to help clear her head and wake up Abby dragged herself out of bed and went straight to the shower. As she washed her hair she tried to instead think about James; she thought about his smile, those eyes, and all his romantic qualities. She wanted to focus on her current, happy relationship.

As she walked out of the bathroom in nothing but a towel she heard a voice say, "Hey Babe." Abby shrieked and jumped backwards, gripping her towel as James began to laugh. "It's just me Abby," he said with a smirk as he sat on her bed. "Oh Geez James," she said finally starting to calm down, "Don't scare me like that." He got up from her bed and walked over to her and said, "Sorry, just wanted to surprise you this afternoon. She wrinkled her nose and said, "You're just lucky I didn't have a blunt object within reach."

He smiled and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her in close to his body. "You know, you don't really need to get dressed." He began to kiss her neck, and moved over to her shoulder blade for a few minutes before pausing. "You're tense Abby, what's wrong, did I scare you that bad?" She shook her head and said, "No it wasn't because you scared me, I'm just a bit on edge." He pulled away from her slightly and looked at her concerned saying, "You're still worried about Matt, Aren't you?"

She thought about bringing up what happened with David, but she couldn't. Abby knew it would end with either him getting angry and it ruining their date night, so instead she took the path that he had laid and talked about Matt's contract. It was better that way since it would just either upset him or make him mad. "I know they are looking to sign him, but I don't know if I'd be able to stand it if he goes somewhere else," she said with a frown, "I know it's a business, but he's my best friend." He pulled her into a hug and ran his fingers through her wet hair, "Oh Abs, he'll get signed. Don't worry about it too much." He pulled away and said, "how about I take you out to dinner and for a night out on the town? That should cheer ya up." She smiled and said with a wink, "As long as you're paying mister big bucks." He grinned and teased, "Damn, I was hoping you'd pick up the check, but OK."

Abby shook her head and said, " I'm going to get changed." She took off her towel and threw it over his head before walking over to her dresser. She pulled out a black lace bra and underwear and slid them on over her body, right in front of him. "Where are we going? I want to wear the right clothes.” He sat down on her bed said, "I was thinking we could go to Jay's, but I really want to stay here now." She pulled a red tank top out of her closet and slid it over her head and teased, "No you said you wanted to take me out, so you have to wait till later to get me under the sheets." He leaned back on the bed and watched as she slid on a pair of tight black jeans. She knew it was bothering him watching her get dressed instead of the opposite, but she was enjoying it. She took her time drying and straightening her hair, as well as putting on her makeup for the evening.

As she walked out of the bathroom he sat up on the bed and yawned, "You ready yet?" She shook her head and said, "No I need to do one more thing." Abby walked over to her jewelry box and put on her diamond earrings, and then pulled out the bracelet he got her. She walked over to him and asked, "Can you put this on for me?" He grinned as he leaned in and put the fragile bracelet on with his large hands. "Now I'm Ready," she said before giving him a quick kiss on his cheek. "You look great Abs," he said with a smile while standing up. James grabbed her hand and he walked beside her out to his car.

--

Jay’s was a familiar hangout since it was attached to the Southpointe Iceoplex, which was the Pens secondary practice home. They sat along the glass windows for dinner, and watched local amateur games while eating. It was odd actually watching a game with him, rather than watching him play, but she still enjoyed it. Once they finished they moved up to the bar and began to talk while there was a band setting up. When James ordered them drinks she could see people start to point and whisper, but remarkably they were left alone. Though the security guard keeping an eye on them probably had something to do with it as well.

As the band started to play James leaned lazily on the edge of the bar. "Oh, before I forget, Staalsy wants to know if you'll be going to the wedding as my date." Abby frowned slightly and said, "I'm not sure if I can. I know for sure I'm working the NHL awards, but the day after is draft weekend." He frowned and said, "I'm sure Shero will let you go if you ask, It is Staalsy's wedding after all." She stirred her drink and said, "Put me down as a maybe for right now, If can go, I would love to be your date. Maybe I can argue that someone has to make sure you stay out of trouble." James looked at her and said, "Me, Get into trouble in Thunder Bay?" Abby smirked and said, "Jordan has a habit of getting arrested at bachelor parties, or getting his friends into trouble. It's hard to bail someone out when you're thousands of miles away." He laughed and said, "Well, I suppose it would be payback from all those times I bailed you out."

She punched him lightly in the arm and said, “I can take care of myself, Remember?” He smirked and said, “Yeah you can, as long as it doesn’t involve guys.” She wrinkled her nose at him and was contemplating another punch, but instead he surprised her with a kiss and said, “I’m just kidding Abby, but I would love for you’re to come with me. It would be fun.” She softened up and was unable to get mad at him, especially when he flashed her those amazing eyes of his.

"I also wanted to ask you if you still looking for a place to live," he asked before taking a swig from his Blue Moon. "I've been looking for a nice town-home, but they are either out of my price range or not my style," she said with a shrug. "Well I was thinking that since my new house will be done in a month, would you want to move in when its finished," he said in a rushed tone as if he was nervous, "Well, cause ya know, you spend a lot of time at my place anyway, so..." She stirred the ice in her glass and said, "I could, but that would mean you would actually need to keep something other than Gatorade and beer in your fridge." He grinned as he responded, "So can I take that as a yes?" She laughed and said, "Yes James, I would love to move in with you."

He was now grinning from ear to ear as if he had just won the lottery. She took a sip from her drink knowing that this would be their next big relationship step, but she was be ready for it. "Now just because I move in does not mean I'll clean up after you though," she joked. He laughed and replied, "Don't worry, I'll still clean up after myself, I'm not messy like Matt is." She grinned and said, "God I hope you aren’t, those are grounds for a break up in my book!”

The cover band was playing some good songs, so she tapped her fingers on the bar to the beat of the music. "You wanna dance?" He asked while shifting on his bar stool to face her. She looked over and said, "Sure, I'd love to." She finished the last bit of her drink and they went over to the floor amongst the other groups of people dancing, and began to move to the music. As they danced to "Moves Like Jagger" she found herself laughing hysterically as James hammed it up on the dance floor. People were pointing and staring, but they could have cared less. They were having a great time, and that was all that mattered.

When the song finished the singer spoke through the microphone, "This song goes out to all those couples out there on the dance floor." They played a slow, soulful cover of "Without You" with just two acoustic guitars and the vocalist on the stage.

// I can't win, I can't reign, I will never win this game Without you, without you
I am lost, I am vain, I will never be the same, Without you, without you
I won't run, I won't fly, I will never make it by, Without you, without you
I can't rest, I can't fight, All I need is you and I, Without you, without you //

James shifted in close to her body, placing both his hands on her waist. She responded by moving in closer, and burying her head in his chest as he led her in time to the music. Even though other couples surrounded them, in her mind it was just the two of them together out there on the dance floor. Just as the band went into the final chorus he dipped her, just like back in Dallas. But this time, before he pulled her up he kissed her on the lips. She kept her eyes closed and just enjoyed the moment of pure, sweet love. She couldn't say anything at all, all she could do was smile.

--

Abby stumbled out of the car and right into his arms, letting out a laugh. "I want you to dance me to the front door," she said with a bright grin, "Please? Pretty please?" He smiled and said, "I don't know, you are a bit buzzed Abs....But if that's what you want." He kicked the door shut with the back of his foot and started to dance with her towards the door. They took a few steps, and then he spun her around, making her giggle like a schoolgirl. Once they reached Matt's front door fumbled the keys and opened the door. As soon as they got inside and closed the door she playfully pushed him against it, kissing him hard on the lips.

"You know I can't wait to move in with you," she said while sliding her hands into his back jean pockets. "And why is that?" he asked before leaning in to give her a kiss back. "Because it will be our place. Not Matt's house, not your rental, it'll be our place." He grinned and scooped her up carrying her over to the couch, and then took off her heels. " I'm glad you're happy Abs," he said while crawling on top of her like a cat ready to pounce, "though to be honest I thought you were going to say something dirty." Abby wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him close to her mouth as she whispered into his ear, "Something dirty? Oh I can say something dirty." Just as she began to kiss his neck they heard the heard the doorbell ring. They both paused for a moment, and then heard the doorbell rang again. It was almost midnight, who the hell would be at Matt's door? James got up and said, "Were you expecting anyone?" She shook her head and said, "No, No I wasn't." The doorbell rang for a third time, causing them both to get up off the couch.

Abby walked to the door to see who it was, but James stopped her before she opened the solid wood door. "Maybe I should answer it Abby," he said in a concerned tone. She nodded and stayed back, as he opened the front door. "Hi is Abby home?" said the familiar voice with an Armenian accent. James turned and looked at her perplexed as she leaned into view and said, "Oh, Hello Archish." The quirky doctor that lived next door smiled and said, "I saw you were home, so I wanted to bring over this package, it was delivered to our house by mistake." He handed the package to James and said, "Sorry to interrupt, but we are going out of town tomorrow. You two have a good night."

They stepped back inside and James set the package down on the counter in the kitchen as Abby looked at the box oddly. She turned to James and said, "I didn't order anything, I wonder who it's from." She opened it up with a steak knife and reached into the box to pull out a vase full of white roses, with a card inside an envelope. While her left hand held onto the vase, she opened the envelope with the other. She read the card, and a look of shock formed on her face. Within seconds the vase slipped from her hands, crashing to the floor along with the envelope and a ring.