Status: In Progress

The Icy Lens

Optical Zoom

“Abby...Abby what’s wrong,” James asked. She didn’t know what to say, she stood there in utter shock. Instinctively she moved to the closet in order to grab the broom, dustpan, and garbage can. She dragged everything over and began to clean up the mess she made. “Abby say something, you’re freaking me out here,” James sad in a concerned tone, “Who were those flowers from, and what is going on?"

“They're from David.” She picked up the card and her old engagement ring from the pile of roses and shattered glass and handed it to him. She didn’t need to see it again; the words were already embedded in her mind. ‘My Dear Abigale- I wanted to tell you this but you won’t answer my calls. We were meant to be together, and I’ll give you anything you want if you will just come home. I want you put this ring back on and come back where you belong. I’ll see you soon. Love, David.’

As James read the card she started to sweep the rest of the glass up in a hurry, trying to get rid of the flowers he had sent her. He looked at her and asked in a flat tone, "Abby, What does he mean you haven't been answering his calls?" She leaned against the counter in the kitchen and looked down at the ground as she explained everything. The conversation, how she hung up on him after he grew angry, and how he repeatedly called her afterwards. "Look I thought he was just being drunk and that it was nothing to worry about."

"Abby it seems like something more than just a drunk phone call," he said in a heightened tone, "He's pretty demanding in the note, it sounds like he's ordering you around and I don't like it. And I don’t like that you didn’t tell me about this earlier." Abby looked up and gripped the counter saying back in frustration, "I told you, I didn’t say anything because I thought it wasn’t a big deal."

“It is a big deal,” he said with his voice still raised, “Abby what if he threatened you or something like that? It’s my job to look after you, how can I do that if you aren’t honest with me.” Abby at this point became frustrated as he was yelling at her. “Will you just stop for a minute and listen to me?” He paused and stood still as she wiped her eyes quickly.

"First off I don't like his tone either," she said, "Now that I look back I realize that He was like that through our entire relationship. Telling me what to do and how to do it." She bit down on her lip before continuing, "I thought that when I left, that I put that chapter of my life behind me." She paused for a second before saying, "Look he controlled my life, Made me believe that I needed him and I was the idiot who fell for it. Do you think I want that thrown in my face over and over again?"

"If I would have brought it up earlier, I would have had to gone through all that again." Abby looked down at the counter top as she began to tear up again, "I just wanted it to go away. I don't want to constantly re-live the failures of my past. It's too painful and upsetting. So yes it was selfish of me not to say anything. So If you're mad, then fine, I get it.”

She turned around with her eyes still watering as she said, “And secondly, I appreciate that you are worried about me, but I can take care of things on my own. I’m a grown adult. I don’t need you and Matt to constantly look out for me. I’m tired of being made out to be this helpless little girl. And that’s how you’re making me feel right now when you say stuff like having to look out for me.”

“I’ve made a stand for myself on so many occasions,” she said standing tall and grabbing her keys, “I don’t want anyone to fight my battles for me. I can fight them myself, but I would prefer it with you beside me.” His action spoke louder than words as he moved over to her as he wrapped his arms around her body and kissing her forehead.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled at you." He softly lifted her chin up so that she had to look at him in the eyes. "I was just so angry that this happened, and that you didn’t tell me," he said in a calm tone, "And I’m sorry if I’m 'big brothering' you, but Abby…” He ran his index finger underneath the corner of her right eye and finished, "I want you to understand though that I’m only overly protective because I don’t want to lose you.” She closed her eyes and leaned into his chest, feeling him then wrap his arms around her. “James, You’re not going to lose me,” she said, “And especially not to him.”

She pulled away slightly then looked up and said, “Now do you want to come with me as I tell him to shove this ring up his ass?” James cracked a smile and said, “Of coarse I want to. I’ve heard rumors of ‘Sassy Abby’ but I’ve never witnessed it.” She laughed and said, “Well then consider your self lucky. Come on, let’s go get this over with.”

------------

It didn’t take long for them to drive to her old home. On the way there, she sent a text to verify that he was indeed home first. Her plan was simple. Show up, tell him to take the ring and leave her alone and then exit stage right. As they pulled up front and James parked the car he asked, “You sure this is what you want to do?”

She nodded and said, “Yup, it ends tonight.” She got out of the car and looked up the steps to their old front deck. She never wanted to step foot on the property again, but here she was. It was time to end things, once and for all. She looked at James and said, “OK, Wait here until you hear me call your name.” He seemed reluctant to stay behind, but a quick kiss later she was walking up the stairs.

Abby rang the doorbell, and it didn’t take long for David to open the door. As the tall, scruffy black haired man stood before her. He smirked and said, “Welcome Home Abigale. Why don't you come in.” She stood up tall on the front porch and said, “No thanks, I’m only here to return this to you. I don’t want it back.” She handed placed the ring in his open hand that he had greeted her with and watched as he looked down in surprise. “What the hell? I thought you were coming home. No throwing what we had away.”

“Excuse me, you were the one that threw what we had away, not me,” she said, “I said that I want nothing to do with you, and I meant it. That’s why I came by with my boyfriend to prove to you that we are finished.” She heard James take the wood steps up behind her, and he stopped right next to her body. As he reached over and grabbed her hand, she watched David begin to fume.

“He is your new boyfriend? A loser hockey player? Really? Abby how pathetic,” he growled while gripping her old ring, “You know I could give you anything this lug-nut could. He’s probably going to dump you the second he gets a cute little model in his sights. You'll thank me later when you come crawling back to me in a few months.” James’s grip on her hand tightened, but Abby broke in before he had a chance to retort. “I think that's more you're style David," she said firmly, "Though I do have to thank you. You see, If you had never cheated on me, I wouldn't have the great relationship I have now."

"James gives me everything I need,” she continued, “I don’t need money, fancy cars, or an expensive lifestyle. What I need is love, His Love.” She looked at him while still holding onto James’s hand and said, “And love is something that I now know you never gave me. So you can keep your ring and your lifestyle. I’ll take a real relationship.” David scoffed at her, “Abby, you’re mistaken, he can never give you what I gave you.”

“Oh do you mean in bed,” she asked as she let a smirk form on her lips, “He has you beat there too. This 'loser' hockey player has a better body, a nice stick, and oh great stamina too.” James let out a laugh and kissed her on the cheek right in front of her ex, compounding his anger. She could tell by the look on his face that she finally drove the point home that she was never going back. She challenged him, insulted his manhood, and just downright embarrassed him. "Do want me to keep going on about how much better he is than you, or are you ready to say goodbye?"

David’s face turned redder than a tomato as he stood there and said, “Get off my property. Both of you.” James smiled and looked at Abby while saying, “I think we’ve overstayed our welcome.” Abby nodded and waved at David before starting down the steps with James as she heard the front door slam. She let her smile spread, knowing full well it was finally over. And this time, she had the last laugh.

As they got into the car and James began to drive them home they both started to laugh. “So I have a better stick and stamina huh,” James said with his classic boyish grin. Abby looked over and said, “What, I had to throw something in there to knock him down a peg or two. So why not brag about my new loser hockey player boyfriend? All of it was true. Every word.” He shifted gears up the ramp to the parkway and said, "Do you feel better now?" She nodded and smiled and said, "Yeah, I think I finally have the closure I needed. Maybe this whole thing was a blessing in disguise."

James laughed and said, "I wouldn't go that far, maybe it was more so life takes you down the path you need to travel." She leaned back in her chair and looked out the window and said, "Yeah, who knows what's around the corner." She turned to him and said, "Oh I know, You and me picking out bedroom furniture." He smiled and said, "Really? I thought it was you and me in the same bed tonight first." Abby grinned and said, "OK, We can do that first, then you can do me in the morning, then shopping tomorrow." James grinned and said, "Now that is a plan babe."
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was a bit short, but the next one is really long, I promise ;)