The Wedding Singer

1/2

"Sadie, are you ready?" my best friend, Cynthia, asks me from the other room.

"Almost." I replied, as I apply another coat of jet black mascara to my lashes. I adjust the top of my dress and take another look in the mirror. "Why am I going to this wedding anyway?" I quietly ask myself.

I wasn't good friends with Alicia and Brandon, the bride and groom, like Cyn was. We had all went to high school together, they were good people, but I was planning on not attending. I promised her I would go if she couldn't find someone else to torture so she wouldn't have to be there all alone, dateless and to my great misfortune she couldn't find another victim. Why had I promised her that? I hated weddings. But I knew that if I asked her to do something out of her element just so I wouldn't be alone, she'd happily oblige.

I could hear Cyn tapping her silver strappy heels on the wooden floor, impatient as always. I walk out of the bathroom to join her. She smiled when she saw me. "You look gorgeous." she states.

I laugh. "Thanks. So do you. As always."

And it was true Cynthia was always beautiful. Tall and lean. She could wear a garbage bag and still be stunning. For this occasion she wore a teal halter dress, knee length with tiers and tiers of ruffles. She had her long ginger hair curled loosely, her makeup and jewelery simple.

I wore a deep purple strapless, knee length dress that fit close to the body with buttons down the front. Being that it was hard to find a good strapless bra that fit right, I was reluctant to wear this dress but Cyn insisted, saying it showed off my curves well. I was 'blessed' in the bust department, Cyn always said, but I disagreed. Keeping these puppies from sagging and falling out my dress was going to be challenging. My four inch heals were purple, turquoise and gray open toe and easily slipped on and off. My jet black hair was wavy, with side swept bangs. My makeup was mod-like and I wore only one ring and a bracelet.

"Cheer up Sade." she says as we walk down the stairs of our apartment building. "Who knows you may meet a cute guy."

I stare at her, then shake my head “And why would that excite me?”

"Try and loosen up a bit today, okay. For me."

"Fine." I said through my teeth.

I wasn't very good at social events, but I'd try not to ruin it for Cyn, who lived for such outings.

We left out of the apartment and got into Cyn's car. We drove a few miles to St. Catherine's Cathedral where the wedding was being held. Cyn found us a parking spot and we headed inside with rest of the guest who were arriving. The cathedral was huge and very beautiful.

We sat on the grooms side, simply because we've known him longer. There were boat loads of people some were familiar, people who attended high school with us and I recognized some of the couples family.

Everyone found a seat, it was about four thirty when the wedding party came down the aisle in pairs, followed by the "blushing" bride. We stood as she entered, wearing a long poofy white dress, very princess like, I thought.

People were taking pictures and some were even crying. I never understood why people cried at weddings, I couldn't see what the big deal was, maybe I was too cold-hearted to understand.

The ceremony wasn't too long, to which I was grateful. The priest said the finale line, "I now pronounce you man and wife, you may now kiss the bride." Their kiss was simple, sweet and short . People cheered and the happy couple exited. Cyn had tears in her eyes, while I rolled mine.

After the wedding party exited, the guest filed out. The bride and groom were outside take pictures, and we were told to head over to the reception hall which was several blocks away. So we got back in the car and drove to the place, then headed straight in.

I had to admit that the place was nicely decorated, plenty of tables for the many in attendance. The colours were brown, white and teal. Silk tablecloths adorned the tables, which sat eight people each, had beautifully folded napkins, nice china, tea candles, and a bouquet of white orchid on every one. Actually there were huge bouquets of orchids everywhere.

It was cocktail hour so we got a drink, and a few finger foods, found our table and sat down, chatting idly with a few old friends. About a half hour or so later the wedding party came in and took their seats at the long table.

There's a small stage behind us, set up with instruments and microphones. I was surprised there would be live entertainment, most people nowadays just hire a DJ. The band took the stage awhile after the wedding party came in.

Their were four of them, all in their twenties, wearing black suits with bow ties and ruffled shirts. Yeah they definitely looked the part and I dreaded the thought of them covering some crappy 80's love songs. But what I heard surprised me.

They began playing “Never Tear Us Apart” by INXS, as the couple danced had first dance. Yes it was an 80's tune, but it was one I liked and they played it very well. The guy singing it, had a deep almost bluesy tone to his voice, adding something unique to the song. Cyn had gotten closer to get a good picture of the couple. And I found myself swaying a little to the music. Once the dance was over, Alicia's father took her grooms place for the father-daughter dance. The band glided smoothly into “Isn't She Lovely.” I was impressed.

After the dance, it was time to eat, and I was starving. I hadn't eaten all day and had to resist the urge to scoff it all down like a pig. After the meal various members of the wedding party stood up and gave toast, along with other family and friends.

The band had taken a quick break but were back and I noticed they had switched instruments. The guy who had been drumming was now up front.

"Hello there" he said into the microphone. He held a guitar in one hand and mused his messy curly brown hair with the other. "Were 100 Monkeys. And first off we'd just like to say congratulations to Brandon and Alicia. May you have many years...” he paused a second, “no decades of pure happiness together."

People clapped and then the band started playing “You're My Best Friend.” I love Queen and was so thankful they didn't butcher it. The curly haired guy had a sweet voice that fit the song well.

Then the band when into their own music, it wasn't half bad. Very interesting sounding music that I can't fully describe. A little rock, a little synth, a bit of blues, and soul. I was wondering now where they found them, they were unlike any other wedding band I had ever seen. People were up on their feet now, dancing.

A cute fellow with short blond hair came over to our table and politely asked Cyn to dance. She looks over at me with a slightly apologetic look on her face, I knew that face, she was sorry she dragged me here only to leave me behind for the first cute guy she saw. I smiled.

"Go ahead." I said, scowling.

"Thanks Sade, I owe you one... I mean two." she said giving me a bear hug.

"Yeah. Whatever." I said sarcastically. She let me go, took blondie's hand, then headed off to the dance floor, shaking her hips before disappearing into the crowd.
And the band played on and on.

I watched how much fun they had playing their unique songs and how much everyone enjoyed it. I seemed to be the only one sitting down now. I stared at the curly haired singer, he was rather cute even wearing the ridiculous suit. He looked in my direction and smiled.

He had dimples and a pretty sexy grin. I should have got up and danced like everyone else, but I didn't really ever dance and even if I did I just wasn't in the mood, although the music was putting me in a better one.

I got up, walked to the bar, and got a drink, as more people were on the floor dancing again with the wedding party. I got another drink and then several more after that, then I decide to step outside for a bit of air.

It was getting pretty dark out now. I walked over to a bench and stared at the lake that was nearby. The faint moonlight played on the water rather beautifully. Minutes passed.

"Is this seat taken?" a voice asked from behind, nearly making me jump. I turned around to see the curly haired singer from the band.

"Nope, it's all yours." I told him, moving over to the far right of the bench.

“Beautiful night.”

“Yes it is.”

"Do you mind if I smoke?" he asked.

I shook my head and he took out a pack of cigarettes, removed one and lit up. Smoke rolled slowly from his mouth. I never thought a man who smoked to be sexy, but something about the way his lips curled around the cigarette that got my mind roaming into naughty territory.

"I know its a bad habit," he said when he caught me staring "very hard to break."

"I'm not judging, if that's what you were thinking." I said. He smiled.

"This really isn't your scene is it?" he asked after a pause. His voice had a bit of a southern twang to it.

"How could you tell?" I ask sarcastically. Another smile appeared on his face. God he wasn't just cute, he was beautiful. Although it was getting dark I could see the brilliant green of his wide eyes. He took another drag, inhaling deeply before exhaling another puff of gray smoke that blew in my direction.

"Sorry" he said waving the smoke out of my face.

"Its okay" I assured him, smiling.

"So who dragged you here?" He asked with another dimpled grin on his face.

"My best friend who ditched me for a cute guy" I tell him with a mock sad face.

"Oh you poor thing" he said sympathetically.

"I know, I know" I say pretending to wipe away tears. We laughed. "So, your band, they're very interesting. 100 Monkeys huh. You don't look like a monkey to me." I said in a curious voice, tilting my head from side to side, pretending examining his face.

He leaned in closer to me and whispered, "Shh, don't tell anyone, it'll ruin the illusion." then he gives me a wink. I asked hi how they got started. I always find peoples reasons behind starting bands to be interesting. "Well me and my friend Ben started playing together about a year ago, nothing serious just for fun. Then our other friends, and another Ben, joined. All the stuffs improvisational and we thought we were pretty good, so we booked a few gigs, got some good responses and here we are."

"The wedding band.” I smiled as I said it. “Do you know the Brandon and Alicia, or is this just another gig?"

"I know Alicia" he took another drag, then tapped his finger on the cigarette, letting the ashed fall from it.. "She's a friend, of a friend." He paused to exhale the gray smoke once more. "She saw us play live and liked our stuff and asked if we would play the reception, and obviously we agreed." He smiled then asked, "So how do you know them?"

"I know both from high school, and we've kept in touch over the years." He drops his cigarette in the grass and puts it out with his shoe. He looks behind me to the hall.

"So why don't you like these things, aren't girls preconditioned to love weddings?" he said jokingly. I stare a him.

"Stereotyping isn't cool" I shook my head at him in mock criticism of his statement. "I guess I'm not the average girl. I just don't see the point. I mean if you love someone and want to marry them a wedding isn't necessary. You could go to the Justice of the peace to get married. Weddings are just for show, so people can see how much money they can waste on unnecessary shit. Sorry." He smiled as I finish my rant.

"It's cool. I get that." he didn't sound judgmental.

"You have an accent, May I ask Where you're from?" I asked to move the conversation away from me.

"I was raised in Texas, but haven't lived there in years so the accent isn't as thick as it could be."

"I like it, it suits you."

"Thanks. I think so too."

"So why aren't you in there playing?" I asked.

"Its our break. Then another forty minutes set of none stop jammin'." He laughed.

We talked for a a good while about his band's music, but really nothing in particular. He was just easy to talk about and even our silences were pleasant.

"Hey man, you ready? " someone asked from behind us. I turned to see one of his band mates.

"Yeah I'll be in there in a minute" he replied and the guy walked back inside.

He stood up and offered me his hand. I'm a bit taken aback, most men didn't possess any type of chivalry. I took it and stood. "How could I have been so rude. I didn't even introduce himself.” he said suddenly. “I'm Jackson."