Breach

Bishop.

Does she have no shame? She can’t really be serious. This is…this is just ridiculous. It’s sickening watching this. I’m not sure what I want to do more, run away and never come back or punch her so hard in the face that she falls unconscious.

Deciding that the second option wouldn’t end well I go along with the first. During my escape I brush past the very man mother has been seeing while with my father. He looks to me in confusion before asking, “You aren’t going to help?”

I don’t bother to reply. There is absolutely no desire for me to speak to him. He should have at least a little dignity and actually refuse to help my mother when he knows my father will be here too. Honestly, what kind of person would do that?

I get it, she needs help moving her things but I could have done that. I am more than enough muscle to help. It pisses me off that she’d bring him here in front of dad.

I’m out of the house before either of my parents notice. Suddenly my phone is vibrating in my hand. When had I even gotten it out? Staring blankly at the device, I bring it up to realize I had sent a text to Antony. I laugh at myself because really…instead of calling my best friend I text Antony instead, a man that I can’t say I know very well.

I read the text I had sent before. It was pretty simple. I can’t stay there anymore.

And Antony’s reply was just as simple as my previous text. Cold Stone.

My feet carry me swiftly to the small ice cream shop. I arrived there before Antony but that’s to be expected since I obviously left before he did. Sighing, I wait patiently for Antony while trying to decide what I wanted this time. And some time during my thoughts a familiar presence appears beside me. It isn’t until he’s making his order that I realize he’s there.

I order my own ice cream and silently we wait for them to hand the snacks over. We make our way to the seat we sat in before. It isn’t until we are there that I finally look over to see Antony and I must say he doesn’t look too good.

There are dark bags under his eyes. His skin seems to have gotten paler and his hair is a bit messier than it usually is. Then there’s his eyes that seem to be swimming with all kinds of thoughts and emotions. Something must have happened and I have a feeling I might know what.

“Did Jean…?” I don’t bother to finish the sentence. The moment he hears her name he sighs like the weight of the world is on his shoulders.

“I’ve been staying at Malcolm’s the last couple of days. We both thought it best that I stay away while she packs and moves to stay with a friend.” Antony takes a bitter bite of his creamy snack. He avoids eye contact with me as he speaks. “I saw it coming but…it still feels empty. It felt as if we spent no time together but now that things are really over I realized how much we really were with one another, though the times weren’t always pleasant. I can’t lie and say it isn’t lonely.”

Antony resembles a lost child with the way he’s twisting his spoon in his cup. It makes me wonder if dad is feeling the same way as Antony. Part of me doubts it because I’m not sure if my parents ever truly loved each other but one never knows. Then I think maybe mother feels that way as well, only she decided to fix her loneliness by finding herself someone new.

I roll my eyes at the thought. My mother can’t feel empty with that man she has with her now.

“When are you returning to your apartment?” I ask before taking another bite of my sundae.

Antony shrugs. “Whenever Jean says she’s gone. I actually don’t want to go back.”

“Aw, are you going to be lonely?” I tease, earning myself a glare from across the table. I chuckle. “I can always come over to comfort the baby.”

Antony snorts and finally that kicked puppy look leaves his face. It’s back to the old Antony, the one that smirks like he’s far more superior than me. I actually prefer that expression on him than the one he sported earlier.

“Comforting me is one thing you definitely are not capable of. I only put up with you out of pity.”

I clasp a hand over my chest and gasp dramatically. “Ouch, Annie, that hurt.”

“Call me Annie again and it really will hurt.”

“Oh? I thought it was a pretty cute nickname.” Antony obviously doesn’t though with the way he’s staring me down. Whatever, I’ll keep trying. He’ll accept one of my nicknames eventually.

Antony quickly changes the subject. Pity, I was hoping that he could give me a cute nickname as well. I’ve always been a bit envious of the people at school who naturally got nicknames for themselves. Am I not special enough?

“Anyways, weren’t you the one who said he couldn’t stay at home anymore?” Antony has finished his desert by now. He pushes the empty container to the side to rest his elbows against the table. He rests his chin atop his fists while tilting his head slightly to watch me. “What’s up?”

Man, I had finally lost that vile taste in my mouth from earlier but it has risen again at remembering why I text him in the first place. I guess it is better to talk about it though rather than hold it in. Sighing, I say, “Mother is finishing up moving today. You know she didn’t even bother asking for my help? She just brought the man she has been cheating on dad with and I can’t help but hate her for it. My father and her may have never gotten along but he has been providing for the both of us. You’d think she’d show a little appreciation.”

Antony nods in agreement but stays silent to allow me to continue.

“I just thought she was doing it on purpose, just to make him feel bad. They are finalizing their divorce but I mean, she cheated on father with him. She can’t actually believe that doesn’t bother dad in the least bit. I guess I just couldn’t watch them any longer.”

“So you came crawling to me like a child?” Antony smirks again. Frowning, I send him a swift kick to the shin causing him to grunt in response. “Oi, no kicking kid.”

“Stop calling me kid,” I order. “Just because you’re almost 30 doesn’t mean you can call me a kid.”

“Almost 30? You say that like you think I’m ancient.”

“That’s because you are.”

Antony pouts though I doubt he would admit to it. Crossing his arms, Antony threatens to never listen to my complaints again, which only makes me laugh. If he doesn’t listen to me then who will he talk to because I’m pretty sure I’m the only one who listens to his bitching. We have a very functioning relationship here.

“It’s getting dark,” Antony says causing me to look outside like him to realize it’s already grown dark. How long have we been sitting here, just messing with each other anyways? I lost track of time. “You should get home.”

“Yeah…that’d probably be best,” I say bitterly. In all honesty I don’t want to return. It’s going to be tense and awkward all evening, which makes me squirm.

“Listen, Bishop,” Antony calls after the both of us make our way out onto the sidewalk. “If you ever want to get out of the house…my door’s open.”

I stare dumbly at Antony, wondering if he seriously meant it but when no laugh, snort or joke followed I knew he spoke the truth. Smiling, I nod my head enthusiastically, glad that I know I have a safe haven to go to.

“Thanks a lot Annie,” I laugh, nudging him in the side gently. Antony snorts once again but says nothing about the nickname.
♠ ♠ ♠
So you all should totally leave this story some love because I personally am very proud of it so...YOU ALL SHOULD BE TOO!
Yes, that is all.

Comment&Subscribe?