Status: Up and running

Skin and Bones

Twenty Six

“I take it you’re calling this room,” Garrett laughed as I stared around at the bigger room of the two with a smile plastered on my face.

“I’m happy with either, both rooms are pretty big.”

“Garrett done good?”

“You did amazingly well, how did you find it?”

“We drove past it every morning remember?” Garrett knew what I meant by the question, he just enjoyed winding me up.

“Shush you,” I replied shoving his shoulder lightly which didn’t do any damage. He was pretty weak but I was even weaker.

“This is pretty grown up isn’t it?” Garrett commented causing me to look at him with raised eyebrows. At first I didn’t understand what he meant before quickly realising this was a huge step for Garrett. Due to circumstances I had been on my own since I was nineteen but this was a first for Garrett.

“Oh no you’re an adult!” I dramatically wailed waving my hands about.

“NEVER!” He shouted in a slightly childish voice, his ADD was kicking in, I braced myself.

“How much rent do we need in advance?”

“Two months but I can cover whatever you can’t get don’t worry about it.”

“Garrett I can’t ask you to do that.”

“You didn’t ask, I offered and I’m insisting.” I sighed and simply nodded knowing I wasn’t going to win the argument, I never did. Things were a little bit awkward for a few moments; Garrett was the one to break the silence.

“You want to see anything else?”

“I think that’s it, it’s an amazing place Garrett really.”

“Why thank you m’lady.” I laughed at his terrible attempt at a British accent, shaking my head as I walked out of the room Garrett hot on my heels.

“I kinda told Pat I would go to his house once I was done here, you wanna come too or just want a ride home”

“You go have man time, oh wait you said Pat didn’t you? Silly me.”

“I’ll tell him you said that.” I smiled at Garrett who had that smirk of his own on his face.

“Just take me back you big idiot.”

Telling Penny about Garrett and I moving in together was a big mistake, I should really learn my lesson. We were setting up for the shoot playing around with some lighting and she would not stop going on about how cute she thought it was.

“You too are so much like a couple that’s all, it’s only a matter of time.”

“I’m going to start butting into your life,” I replied fiddling with one of the poles holding a light trying to raise it. Not only was she slightly annoying me with her comments she was also just watching me obviously struggle.

“But mine isn’t interesting, you have gossip.”

“I don’t have gossip you create gossip now help me with this before my arms snap.” I puffed struggling with the pole to the point I was getting breathless.”

“Well you shouldn’t be such a skinny minny then should you?” I froze a little, this was the first time Penny had mentioned my weight and it made me a little uncomfortable.

“Eva? I helped you click it in to place you can let go now.” I looked over at Penny not realising she had aided me, instead focusing on my body image and how anxious I was feeling at that moment.

“Sorry I zoned out for a second there.” I was waiting for Penny to make a comment about Garrett but instead she looked at me seriously and asked if I was okay. If she was being serious she must have known there was some kind of problem.

“I’m fine sorry I just totally spazzed out there.” I walked away feeling uncomfortable about the whole situation trying to divert the attention away from me and more importantly my weight. I started to pull out some more equipment it didn’t take long to feel the presence of Penny behind me.

“My sister was anorexic, I kinda guessed from the first time I met you. I think you’re really brave.” I turned around to face Penny and looked at her face, she looked sincere and had a small but sad smile on her face.

“How long did it take for your sister to get better?” I asked assuming since she said used to be her sister was now well, it would be great to talk to a fellow survivor for once.

“She passed away four years ago.”

“Jesus Christ I am so sorry! I lost a friend of mine in a clinic I know it’s tough, that was the thing which turned me around.” I truly didn’t know what else to say. Penny shook it off and grabbed her camera.

“You can talk if you want I’m always here.” I could at least offer her some comfort.

“Thanks, but I’m fine really.” I didn’t press the matter knowing how much it frustrated me when people went on about my illness.

“I didn’t expect it to be this chilly.” I commented on the slight wind which was picking up and giving my arms slight goose bumps.

“You’ve been hanging around me too long, such a British thing talking about the weather,” Penny giggled it was as if the previous conversation never took place.

“So there’s no mystery man for me to tease you about?” I asked watching as Penny started messing around with her camera.

“Nope, tell you what though Arizona has some amazing eye candy,” she gushed while putting her camera into focus.

“Eye candy?” I questioned with a smirk, I don’t think I could ever get sick of her talking, except when it was about Garrett and I of course.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay! Penny may be my favourite character in this, who is yours?