Status: Up and running

Skin and Bones

Twenty Seven

“How’s our little photographer doing?”” I turned my head to the left and sure enough Kennedy was sitting on the couch as I walked into Garrett’s house.

“Firstly I’m not a photographer yet, secondly I’m good and thirdly where are you here?” I didn’t mean for the last part to sound so rude I was just curious and I also wondered where Garrett was.

“Garrett needed help packing up his stuff but I got bored so I quit and now I’m watching TV. Garrett and Jared are in his room but the cool people are in here.” He grinned and I laughed and ruffled his hair as I walked past him.

“I’ll go and say hello then come back to the cool couch.” I shouted behind me travelling up the stairs somewhat eager to see my best friend. When I opened Garrett’s door the sight before me was laughable. Clothes littered the bed; the floor was a swimming pool of DVD’s Jared being stuck in a corner like they had ganged up on him. Garrett was by his desk wearing a cape and a cowboy hat making his Star Wars figures fly. I had to let out a chuckle was caused Garrett to turn around; he smiled when he saw me.

“Thank God Eva! The DVD’s are too strong I’m surrounded!” Jared exclaimed dramatically.

“So this is packing huh?” I asked amused, lightly moving a few DVD’s with my feet.

“I forgot how much cool stuff I had.” Garrett opened his arms for a hug but neither of us could make a move without stepping on something.

“I think you’re enjoying it a bit too much, nice cape by the way.”

“I’ve had this since that Halloween party we went to at Jessica Davies’ house.”

“That’s the one? I hope you’ve washed it.” I grimaced as I remembered back. We were sixteen, it was the first time I had tried vodka and I ended up puking all over Garrett’s costume.

“Anyway I just wanted to let you know I’m home, I’m going to keep Kennedy company.” We all said our goodbyes as I left I heard Jared mention how happy and healthy I looked, it bought a massive smile to my face.
Since Kennedy and Jared were already there we decided to invite everyone else over and make a night out of it. Tim and John bought a few beers and Pat fetched every pizza menu he could get his hands on. I made a bean burger and ate that with some homemade guacamole but when pizza came I found myself staring at Garrett’s box taking in the smell.

“Would you want a bit?” He asked and picked up a new slice and ripped it in half. Smiling at the fact he knew me too, I accepted but suddenly felt pairs of eyes on me. Trying to keep my nerve I ripped off small pieces and ate them one by one, it did taste incredible. What wasn’t however was the greasy feeling on my fingers and hands. I went to the kitchen to wash off and couldn’t help but over hear the conversation the boys were having, they were hardly the quietest of people.

“She looks amazing, when she opened the door I couldn’t believe how well she looked.” The slight southern twang told me it was John who had spoken.

“Garrett you were right, us not going away has done the world of good.” Pat took his turn then was followed by his brother Tim.

“She seems so much happier too, more confident. I was amazed when she ate that pizza.” I smiled and went to re-join the group but what Kennedy said stopped me in my tracks.

“You make me laugh though you’re in a relationship but don’t know it.”

“ Ken what do you mean?” I imagined what his face would be like.

“I get what you’re saying you have feelings for each other practically go out on dates you’re moving in together but you’re not a couple.” When Jared stopped speaking I took the opportunity to go back into the room. I retook my seat in-between Garrett and John who was cradling a beer in his left hand.

“I can’t remember the last time I had a drink,” I mused more thinking out loud than anything.

“Why don’t you try a bit?” John asked putting the bottle up towards my face. I looked at it closely before looking at John and finally Garrett who simply shrugged his shoulders, I think what the boys had said to him got to him a little. I looked at John once more and shook my head a firm no giving a small smile.

“I remember when you turning down alcohol was a miracle,” Kennedy joked, everyone laughed at the memories I was a big drinking before I came obsessed with calories, that’s why Garrett and I worked so well as friends. He wasn’t a big drinker so I could always count on him and I introduced him to whiskey, seemed like a fair deal. John was always my drinking buddy it was one of the main ways we bonded thinking about it.

“I don’t think I could stomach it these days.”
I wanted to let go I was nervous too, maybe if it was something other than beer too.

“When you guys have a house warming I will personally make you drink something,” Kennedy threatened, I knew he was being serious about it too.

“Who said we’re having a house warming?” Garrett asked eyebrows high.

“Us,” Tim replied in an almost military like fashion. Garrett looked at me and I shrugged not caring too much about it.

“You know they’ll do it, no point in arguing.” My response was met with a room full of cheers, I kinda like the idea. I wanted to introduce Penny to the guys anyway, what harm could come of it?
♠ ♠ ♠
Five or so chapters left!