Status: Incomplete...

Unwonderland

Fourteen

Abel drifted in and out of sleep on his way to Germany. When he wasn't sleeping he was writing. He has always been the one to write when he was bored. He didn't think he was that good, unfortunately. Maybe he'd show Alexias when he got back.

"Please fasten your seatbelts. The plane will be landing shortly," the pilot's voice boomed around the first class cabin. Abel patiently put on his belt and awaited the landing.

***

Abel sighed, he didn't want to be here. Didn't want to be running errands for Bloody Red. The light sound of his footsteps and the dangling of his luggage kept his mind on the reality of things. He was her errand boy, and a degrading one at that. He was never going to be on the side of light. For his heritage forbade him anything but.

"Abel De Luca?" a tall man walked up to him. His build was muscle, his shoulders broad. He looked disciplined, his hands clasped firmly behind his back, with head held high, looking down the brim of his nose at Abel.

"Ja?" he looked up into the man's bright blue eyes. His lids drawn low, for he didn't turn his head down to Abel's level. He was at least a head and a half higher than him. He had that prestigious look. He looked as if he were in the military once.

"Mein Name ist Ludwig Nacht," he spoke in flawless German. Hm. Ludwig Night. Cool name.

"Hallo. Sprechen sie Englisch?" Abel asked for the English language. The reason he didn't do this in Italy was for one good reason. It's been ten years since he's been to Italy, and he didn't want waste it talking in English.

"Jes," he nodded. His accent thick.

"And you're my informant?" Abel asked.

"Jes, please, follow me, boy," Ludwig turned on his heel and walked away. His strides were long and Abel found himself struggling to keep up with him.

"So, Ludwig, were you in the military?" Abel asked, finally matching his stride and walking alongside him.

"Jes I vas, how did jou guess? I vasn't vearing mein uniform," he glanced at Abel from the side. Abel smiled up at him.

"You've got that build to you," shrugged Abel, "I just thought I'd ask, instead of assuming."

"Vell jou ah a good observer, Abel De Luca," appraised Ludwig. For some reason, Abel guessed, he didn't seem to appraise people often.

"Thank you, sir," he said softly. The "sir" part slipped out, he was so used to talking to Stayne. Ludwig stopped. Abel continued a few steps, stopped, and turned to face him.

"Please, don't call me sir. I'm not jour sir, boy," he gazed down at Abel, his eyes turned harsh and had seemed to darken. Something must've happened to him.

"I'm sorry, Ludwig. It slipped out, sorry," Abel turned his eyes to the ground. The airport floors not as dirty as he thought. He didn't hear Ludwig approach, but within seconds he was in front of Abel, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Look up, boy," Ludwig said softly. Even though he knew the name "boy" was just something that most Germans did to younger people, Abel couldn't help but be pleased he had a nickname. Abel did as he was told, looking up to the cool blue eyes of Ludwig, "it ist fine, I know that happens sometimes."

Abel nodded, smiling up at him. Ludwig's lips quirked a little at the edges, "Let's go," Ludwig turned sharply away from Abel and continued in the same direction

***

"This ist jour home," Ludwig spoke, opening the door for him.

"Thank you, Ludwig," Abel smiled back at him. Ludwig nodded, pulling out a piece of paper from his jeans pocket.

"This ist mein number. Call me if jou need anything," and with that he left. Abel called down the street to him.

"Thank you!" Abel called. Without looking over his shoulder, Ludwig waved and turned a corner. Abel retracted back into his house, smiling to himself. Were there going to be little kids at his door this time? He laughed, remembering what Gabriel had said when Abel told him.

"There were what at your door?" Gabriel exclaimed.

"Children," Abel spoke, a smile on his lips.

"And you fed them? You're not supposed to feed them!" exclaimed Gabriel again.

"And why not?" Abel challenged.

"They'll keep coming back!" Gabriel nearly yelled. They were sitting in Abel's living room.

"They aren't here now, are they?" Abel smiled at him. Gabriel sighed.

"But they will be," Gabriel shook his head.

"Well what was I supposed to do? Just let them starve? They had no parents," Abel informed.

"None that you could see. They could've been in a three story house and just acted like they were poor-"

"No, it was something in the girl's eyes that made me believe they had no parents. Even the boy had the same look," shrugged Abel, "so I fed them."

"What're you going to do when you leave?" Gabriel inquired.

"You're going to feed them," Abel smiled.

"M-me?" Gabriel had to take a double take. His hand clamped over the spot where his heart was.

"Yes, I allow you to live here and whenever they show up, I want you to feed them," Abel spoke. Gabriel sighed.

"Okay," he spoke, unwillingly.

"Thank you, Gabriel, seriously," Abel looked into Gabriel's eyes.

"You're welcome, Abel, just remember, you owe me!" Gabriel smiled evilly at him.

"And what would you like?" Abel smiled. He had a lot of money, he could buy Gabriel pretty much anything.

"When you have a chance, I want to meet that girl you've been talking about," Gabriel smiled. Abel stiffened.
'if I can get her here, Abel thought.

"No problem," smiled Abel.


Abel smiled and shook his head. He was exhausted. He had just started for the bedroom when the doorbell rang. He shifted directions, heading back to the door.

"Yes?" he answered sleepily, opening the door to a girl. A girl about his age.

"Oh so jou speak English," her voice was high and squeaky. Her hair was blonde, almost like Ludwig's but her eyes were more cerulean blue then sky blue, like Ludwig's.

"Yes, I do," smiled Abel. He leaned against the doorframe.

"Hallo, mein name ist Zora Nacht," she smiled up at him, "jou look around mein age. Ah jou living here all alone?"

"Yes, just for a couple days, then I have to take off," Abel spoke.

"To vhere?" she asked, curiosity dancing across her eyes.

"Denmark," Abel answered.

"Denmark? Vhy?" she asked.

"You ask a lot of questions don't you?" Abel chuckled. Zora blushed and apologized.

"Sorry," she looked down.

"It's alright," smiled Abel, "oh and by the way, my name is Abel De Luca."

"De Luca?" she asked.

"Yeah, it's Italian," he said.

"Italian," she blinked, "you're Italian?"

"Yeah," he smiled.

"Oh," she patted her pockets, "this is vhy I came," she pulled out a small piece of paper. Abel took it gingerly from her small fingers. He opened it and read.

'Abel, meet me at my house tomorrow at six. If it's alright I want Zora to spend the night with you and she will lead you to me.

-Ludwig'

Zora was waiting patiently, her eyes wide and waiting. Abel looked up from the paper, to meet his eyes to hers.

"You are welcome," he moved out of the way for Zora to waltz in.

"Vhere might I be sleeping?" she turned back to him, only a few feet into the home.

"Oh, follow me," Abel walked in front of her, leading the way to the rooms. On the way down the hallway, Zora was just racking off questions.

"You don't sound Italian," she started off.

"I am, I've just had a lot of time to hide it," Abel muttered.

"Vhere ah jour parents?" she asked again. Abel swallowed, but answered her question.

"My dad died in the war when I was four, and my mother was murdered," Abel said, his voice had taken on a hard edge. He didn't mean to be rash toward Zora, but it was a touchy subject.

"Oh, Abel, I'm sorry," Zora said softly.

"No I am," Abel said, not turning around, but had stopped in front of a door. He placed a hand on the doorknob, "That's just a touchy subject."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know," Zora apologized.

"Don't be," Abel turned to look at her, before she could say more, he opened the door, "here's your room."

Her gaze snapped to the dark room beside them both.

"How can you afford all of this?" she asked.

"I have my sources," smiled Abel. Zora didn't ask more, just walked into the room.

"I'll be down the hall if you need anything," Abel spoke and left, the door open.

"Uh, Abel?" Zora leaned out her door. Abel turned around.

"Yes?" he inquired, meeting her eyes again. She resembled Ludwig. Maybe she was his daughter.

"Could I have a glass of vater before I go to bed?" she asked, shyly.

"Yeah, I'll be right back," Abel nodded and left the hallway. He had forgotten all about his medicine in Italy and only had to take it once. Maybe the medicine wears off slower here than in Underland. Hm, that's something to think about. But he might as well take his medicine now and get it over with.

Abel pulled out a glass and filled it up with water. Before he made his way back to Zora, he pulled out a vile of his medicine, injecting it into his arm.

"Vhat's that?" Zora asked, standing in the doorway to the hall.

"My medicine," Abel spoke.

"Medicine for vhat?" she asked, her eyes wide and innocent.

"Uh, it's for my... Uhm, my cold," he faked a cough, "I get sick really easily and have to constantly give myself shots."

"Oh," she said, Abel retracted the needle from his arm, throwing it in the sink. He grabbed the water, walking up to Zora.

"Here," he smiled. She smiled back.

"Thanks," she said, walking back to her room. Maybe now, he can collapse into bed, hopefully. He was almost there when Zora stuck her head back out of her room.

"Abel," her voice was small. He turned back, willing his patience to grow.

"Yes?" he had to struggle to make his voice light.

"Can ve leave the lights on?" Zora asked, her voice wavered slightly.

"Yeah, no worries," Abel reassured her. She smiled lightly and disappeared into her dark room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long! Busyness and shtuffs. How you like though, leave me some love or constrictive criticism :)