Status: Incomplete...

Unwonderland

Seventeen

"Alexias!" Fronia exclaimed from the far side of the training room. Her voice reverberated around the large room.

"Hey Fronia," Alexias waved to the burly woman running to her.

"Honey, how are you feeling?" she inquired after she reached a non-yelling distance.

"Better, but I was given a drug to help with my pain," she reported to her training master.

"Great!" she clamped a hand down on Alexias' shoulder, "then let's get to work. Jeston, are you joining us today?"

"I can if you want me to," he shrugged. Fronia nodded her head, jumping right into the lesson for the day.

***

It's been a little over five weeks since Abel had left Wonderland. Alexias was lonely. Meeting very scarcely with Sebastian when he was free of the Red Queen. After a hard day of training she decided to take the Bandersnatch to the river.

Her stomach was getting better, the stitches come out in the next couple of days, then she can wear a shirt again. The smells of the meadow flood her senses. She sighs, closing her eyes.

Someone clears their throat. Instantly Alexias is on guard, her sword drawn. She skewers her surroundings, then across the borderline. Abel.

"You're back," she breathed, walking briskly to the line, just barely putting her sword away.

"I am," he smirked, his voice full of life.

"I missed you," she dropped to the ground. Quickly the Bandersnatch came to her side. She barely turned to say, "I'm fine," when the tears flooded her eyes.

"Alexias?" Abel moved as close to the boarder as he dared. Alexias sniffed.

"I'm sorry," she rubbed her eyes, "it's been a bad couple of weeks."

"Tell me about it," Abel said in a light tone of voice.

"Ch-Charudatta c-cut me," Alexias stuttered into the grass. She took handfuls of the grass, not pulling it out, just feeling the soft blades between her fingers.

"Where?" Abel demanded with a growl.

Gently she laid her hand over her stomach, muttering, "here."

Abel was eerily silent. Alexias glanced up at him, but he wasn't watching her, he was looking off into the trees, the muscle in his temple flaring, "Abel?" Alexias prodded, blinking her eyes. Slowly Abel exhaled, unclenching his teeth, his fists.

"Are you alright?" he asked, trying futilely to conceal his anger.

"Yeah," she whispered, "I'm not permitted to wear a shirt, but the pain has subsided immensely."

"Good. I'm sorry, I wasn't here to protect you," Abel said softly. Alexias smiled at him.

"There was nothing you could do," she said, wanting to touch him, but he was no where near no man's land between their sides. Abel returned her smile.

"I have things for you," he dug around in his pocket.

"You got me a gift?" Alexias inquired, leaning a little further toward the borderline.

"Got you and brought you," he cleared up, holding up his closed fist from his pocket, "put your hand in no man's land, and close your eyes."

Alexias complied, placing her hand, palm up in no man's land. A small warm beaded thing was placed in her palm, then a light chain was next to it, "open your eyes," Abel whispered. Slowly Alexias brought her hand out of no man's land, opening her eyes. She gasped.

"Abel, these are beautiful," Alexias poked around the bracelet and necklace Abel had placed in her hand.

"The bracelet was bought in Italy," he said, his voice just background music. Alexias pulled on the bracelet, watching it shimmer in the sunlight.

"And the necklace?" Alexias held up the necklace gingerly by the chain. It was a small cross, turquoise on one side, rubies on the other. There were metal spikes sticking out of the corners of the cross, as if the sun were shining behind it and the spikes were its rays.

"It was my mother's," Abel said softly as Alexias admired it. Her eyes snapped up to him, wide and upset.

"Abel, I can't take this," she started to place it back in no man's land. He put his hand there, stopping her hand's decent.

"Keep it," Abel smiled, "my mother would want you to have it. She was always taken with you, since the day you were born."

"With me?" Alexias asked as she secured the latch on the necklace. Instantly she felt something around her. Something warm and relaxing. She liked the feeling.

"Yes," Abel pulled her back to reality, "you're the reason she decided to move to your side."

"So I'm responsible for her death," Alexias said quietly.

"No!" Abel said, quickly to reassure her, "no you gave her hope."

Alexias took a steadying breath, nodding at Abel's words. She grabbed ahold of the charm, squeezing it, "the Queen says that you and Sebastian will be over here, soon."

"Soon?" Abel's voice was full hope. Alexias smiled slightly at him and nodded. Abel seemed happy with the Queen's verdict, "tell her I said 'thank you.'"

"I will," Alexias smiled, struggling to her feet, "thank you so much for the gifts. I wish there was something I could've gotten you."

"It's fine," Abel waved his hand in the air, getting to his feet, placing his hands on his hips. Alexias looked at him, her mouth twisting in discontent.

"I have to go," she didn't want to but she had more training for today, "thank you again for the gifts, they're beautiful."

"You're welcome, Alexias," he smiled disappearing into the trees like only Abel can. She waved to the trees, leaving for the castle.

***

After training she went to bed without supper. She was exhausted. Alexias made sure to lock her door and all of her windows before she pet the Bandersnatch goodnight and ultimately drifted off to sleep.

She slept peacefully but when she awoke there was a man leaning over her with a knife poised above her face. Immediately she grabbed her sword that laid beside her. She swung, clipping the man the shoulder.

"Who are you?" Alexias growled, positioned to pounce off her mattress and onto the man. He didn't answer, just swiftly backed away to the door. The Bandersnatch had him cornered in her room. Alexias padded over to him, the blunt edge of her sword placed gingerly on her shoulder. She could see his face now. It was definitely Charudatta. Alexias sneered at him.

She backed away, pushing a button on the underside of her bedside table, "pin him down," she demanded of the Bandersnatch. It took Charudatta by the sleeve, throwing him to the middle of her room. It knocked the knife from his hand, then sat on him. Alexias had to refrain from laughing. It was a funny sight.

Within a couple of minutes, soldiers poured into her room. The captain spoked breathlessly, "Miss Alexias, what has happened?"

Without a word, Alexias pointed to the Bandersnatch.

"That's your Bandersnatch, Miss," the captain peered at her pet.

"It's sitting on Charudatta," she answered calmly, "take him away."

The Bandersnatch moved so the soldiers could apprehend the man. They drug him to the dungeon.

"Thank you, boys," she called to them. The captain peaked back in, his helmet off, revealing Jeston, "wh-Jeston?"

"Hey there," he laughed.

"I didn't know you were a soldier," Alexias blinked at him.

"And I didn't know you slept in frilly dresses, I guess we're even," he stood proudly in his uniform. Alexias felt the blush rise to her cheeks.

"Get out of here, Jes," she glared. He smiled wide at her.

"Meet me at the river later, will you, Alex?" he asked over his shoulder.

"Why the river?" she tentatively followed after him.

"Well I haven't had time to hang out with you," he shrugged, "you are my best friend, after all."

Alexias smiled at him, "what time?"

"Around noon," he smiled warmly back at her, disappearing down the steps.

***

It wasn't quite noon, yet. She decided to go early, to talk to Abel before she met up with Jeston. But somebody else was talking to Abel. Alexias hid in the undergrowth, barely breathing. She turned to the Bandersnatch to do the same.

Abel laughed. His medicine must have worn off. Alexias' heart strings tugged. She wanted to help him, but the boy was there.

"Abel," the boy called of his attention, "will you do as I say?"

"No," he slung out the word, smugness filled his eyes, "I will not."

"And why is that? Don't you like your queen?" the boy asked with extreme calmness.

"Nope," he popped his lips on the 'P', "what are we talking about?"

"Will you kill the princess?" the boy asked. By his voice, Alexias would guess he had asked that question plenty of times before Alexias' arrival.

"No," he shook his head like he was three, "I love her," he looked close to passing out. The boy looked annoyed and he got up to leave. Alexias' heart pounded in her chest.

"Fine," the boy snarled at Abel, "I'll do it myself."

He left without Alexias seeing his face. Once she thought they were clear, she arrived in the clearing, acting as though she hadn't heard any of that.

"Abel," she smiled, instantly sitting in front of him. He sobered up, looking at Alexias with intensity.

"Alexias, you're in danger," he whispered, "be careful."

"Who is after me?" she countered, clasping onto the charm on her necklace. She hadn't taken it off. Abel smiled.

"Charudatta," he answered in a daze.

"We just locked him up," Alexias reported.

"He has under links, they will be there to finish the job. Alexias they wanted me to kill you," Abel seemed truly upset.

"I want you and Sebastian over here now," she whispered.

Before Abel could answer, Jeston called, "Alexias you there?"

"In the meadow, Jes," she called back traveling to the river. She heard Abel shift. Before he arrived in the meadow, Alexias glanced back at Abel. He looked as though he was sleeping against that tree. She smiled. It was like Charudatta all over again, but she didn't think Jeston would freak out.

"Alex," Jeston was still wearing his uniform.

"Jes," she smiled up at him. He plopped down, laying the basket in between them, "oh I bet you looked just manly. A big strong soldier carrying a itty bitty basket."

She could tell Jeston was trying to make a comeback when she heard Abel chuckle in the background.

"And who's this?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long guys. I've been busy and had writer's block. Hope you like it though. Leave me some love.