Status: Incomplete...

Unwonderland

Twenty One

A light knock woke her up, her eyes snapping open instantly. She sat up, suddenly uneasy not having the Bandersnatch with her.

"Who is it?" she called from her bed, just loud enough for her voice to penetrate through the door. A soft answer followed. She didn't catch what it said. She looked at her alarm clock, noticing it was the middle of the night. It must be Sebastian.

She crawled out of bed, reaching for her doorknob. She was just so tired, she wasn't thinking rationally. She began to speak, "Sebast—"

It wasn't Sebastian. At least, not the one she knew. His eyes were dark, his smile cruel. His hair was disheveled, as if he had just woke up. Alexias leaned forward a little.

"Sebastian?" she said softly, trying to call to the old, sweet boy she used to know. He wasn't looking at her—well...he was but it wasn't in her eyes, it was more like through her. Like she was a ghost. He didn't answer her. But his expression did change.

He pulled out of his dark grasp, just quick enough to yell, "Alexias, duck!"

Instantly she ducked, grabbing Sebastian by the tuft of his shirt, hiking him down with her. She wasn't quick enough, a sword pierced his shoulder. A cry came from the boy. He cradled his shoulder to the best of his ability, but blood was pouring out of the wound.

"Alexias!" that was Abel. He was rushing down the hallway to her. His face went ghostly pale when he noticed Sebastian's state. Alexias stood back up, whirling around on her attacker. She thought it was Charudatta, but it was one of the soldiers. The younger one that flanked her side when she was in the forest.

She glared, "who are you?"

The boy didn't answer, he jumped off of her balcony without another glance. Alexias sighed, turning back to Abel.

"Pick him up," she ordered, stepping around the mess. It was hard to watch, painful even when she witnessed Abel, trying fruitfully to pick up Sebastian with little pain. When he had him situated, Alexias led the boys to the infirmary. The nurse was surprised to see the three of them.

She gasped, rushing to them, "what happened?" she nearly yelled, pointing to the table where Alexias sat when she got her bandages changed.

"We were attacked," Alexias said softly, worry coursing through her. Was he going to make it? Please let him make it. He just got here. Just got the taste of freedom.

Abel spoke her thoughts, "is he going to make it?"

"Yes, it's just a flesh wound. But he'll be incapacitated for a while. It'll take a bit longer to heal. Looks like the sword penetrated the bone," Sebastian's face went pale.

"The bone?" he asked quietly. His breathing became harsh, short, he was hyperventilating. Alexias took his face in between her palms.

"Sebastian, take a deep breath," she said softly, soothingly, "you'll be just fine. The nurse will patch you up, and in a few weeks you'll be good as new," Alexias smiled down at him.

"You promise?" he was like a little kid, his eyes wide and peering up at her. He was scared, Alexias nodded her head slowly, backing up for the nurse to pull out the sword. Alexias took Sebastian's hand.

"This will hurt. Squeeze my hand," instantly he began to squeeze it, she let this happen. The nurse talked soothingly to Sebastian.

"On the count of three. One. Two," before she got to three, she ripped out the sword. Sebastian cried out, clutching his shoulder, "sorry, honey, but it was easier if you didn't know. Not nearly as painful," she mumbled as she placed the sword far away from the table, "please remove your hand."

Sebastian did as he was told, breathing harshly, gritting his teeth against the pain, "I have to clean it. Please remove your shirt."

Alexias blushed, letting Abel take over. She left the room. To her surprise, Jeston was outside the door. He looked in pain before he met eyes with her. Alexias smiled sadly up at him. Jeston scooped her up in a hug, mumbling in her shoulder, "I thought it was you," the vibrations from his voice went all throughout her body.

"It was Sebastian," Alexias hugged him back. Reality caught up with her, she cried into Jeston's shoulder.

"Is he—?" Jeston implied what Alexias was afraid of. She shook her head against his shoulder. Jeston sighed in relief, he rubbed Alexias' back, soothingly. Alexias was trembling, "sit," he led her to the couch in the hallway. She sank into it gratefully, letting loose a pocket of air as her butt impacted with the cushion. She brought her knees to her chin.

"I'm scared," she whispered, "this place isn't as safe as I remember it to be," her voice wavered with fear. She's never really been scared before. Not when her mother was murdered or when her father committed suicide out of depression. Not when she was attacked by Charudatta or once by a couple of red knights. She's always been brave, fearless, unrelenting. Where was the old Alexias now?

"Me too," Jeston murmured softly beside her. She took a deep breath as and walked out of the infirmary. He looked just as tired as Alexias felt.

"How is he?" Alexias peered up at him, inquisitively, through red puffy eyes.

"He's fine. The nurse patched him up, and he's drugged with pain medicine," Abel chuckled. Alexias smiled.

"Thank god," Alexias breathed, collapsing into Jeston's shoulder.

"Alexias?" Jeston leaned over her face. Alexias moaned, she was exhausted.

"Let's take her to bed," Abel offered, he sounded as if he were across a canyon. She could barely hear him. Someone scooped her up, their gate lulling her to sleep.

***

Alexias woke up the next morning in a daze. She forgot where she was at, what time it was and what had happened previously. All that she was aware of was someone was on her floor. She cautiously leaned over the edge of the bed. Abel?

Alexias poked Abel in the cheek, he startled awake, "huh—what?" he looked around uncomprehendingly. He looked disheveled, but Abel wasn't the only one in her room. The Bandersnatch was next to Abel, leaning up against him more like, Jeston was at the foot of her bed on the floor, and Sebastian was placed next to her in bed. He was breathing softly, lying on his good shoulder.

"What time is it?" she whispered to Abel. She just realized, he was hugging her clock. He pulled away from it and looked.

"Nine-thirty. I set an alarm for ten. The Queen said she needed me then. Sorry if I crept you out," he leaned his back against the Bandersnatch.

"No," she shook her head, tiptoeing off of the bed. She roused Jeston.

"Hm?" he yawned, sitting up.

"I need you to watch Sebastian," Alexias spoke softly to him. He rubbed his eyes, nodding.

"I'll be here when you return," Jeston smiled up at her. It was a cute, half-asleep-half-smile that boys do sometimes. Alexias smiled down at him.

"Abel?" she turned to him, but he was already back asleep. She needed a shower anyways. Might as well utilize her alone time. Having only one boy awake.

"Where are you going, Alexias?" Jeston inquired from his position on the floor.

"The shower. I'll be back in five," Alexias said on her way out. She didn't hear Jeston's answer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the short chapter. Will have the next one soon. Leave me some love Guiseee.<3