Persephone's Story

Chapter Three

For the next week I met with Hades at that special spot in the woods each day. I could tell the nymphs were becoming a bit suspicious of me, so while I was there I made sure to pick some flowers so they would think I went there just for that, but one day one of them asked to come with me.

“I’m going to go exploring in the woods,” I called out to my friends as they plucked apples off the trees. As I walked away one of the blonde nymphs ran up to me, a couple apples spilling out of her basket.

“Persephone, wait. Can I come with you?” she asked when she caught up to me. I froze in my tracks. I couldn’t bring her with me, but what reason could I give for not wanting her to come along with me?

“Wouldn’t you much rather pick apples with our other friends?” I asked innocently. She shook her head.

“Everyday you go to that lake in the woods. I want to see why you like it there so much,” she explained.

“Because it’s peaceful and quiet,” I lied. She thought for a moment.

“I can be quiet,” she said happily. I shook my head and gave her a fake sympathetic look.

“I just want to be alone sometimes,” I said with a shrug. Her smile faltered and was replaced with a frown.

“Oh. Well I suppose I can just stay here with the other nymphs,” she said with a cold look. I nodded and for a second, felt bad for her. I wanted to tell her, she was my friend, but I knew she would most likely tell my mother, and we couldn’t have that. Nymphs were notorious for being chatty and prone to gossiping, so it was a risk I couldn’t take.

When I got to the pond Hades was already there, standing on the rock we always sat on. He turned when he heard my footsteps approaching and smiled.

“My dear,” he said as he walked over to me and swept me off my feet. My basket of apples fell to the ground, but I didn’t care at the moment. I giggled as he spun me around then sat me down on the rock.

“How have you been today, my dear?” he asked me as he sat down next to me.

“Good, but maybe we should meet at a different time,” I confessed, looking into his beautiful eyes. He raised in eyebrow in question.

“My friend wanted to come with me today, and the other nymphs are becoming suspicious of my behavior.”

“Do not worry, if you want to change the time, then we shall,” he said with a smile. He wrapped a hand around my waist and pulled me closer, planting a kiss on my lips. Even though his lips were cold, whenever he kissed me I could feel a warm feeling in the pit of my stomach and my cheeks felt like they were blazing. I kissed him back and ran my fingers through his hair before pulling back. I opened my eyes and smiled at him. Suddenly a glimmer of blonde hair from behind a bush caught my attention and the smile slid from my face and I felt fear turn my blood cold.

“What’s wrong?” Hades asked, catching the look on my face and setting me down gently. I looked past him just in time to see the hair disappear down a trail, along with my secret.

“Hades, my friend-the nymph-she saw us,” I gasped, looking up at him with a scared expression. His eyes widened but he kept his composure.

“I can take care of her."

“No Hades, don’t drag her soul to the Underworld,” I pleaded with him, “I’ll talk to her, and maybe…maybe she’ll keep quiet.”

Hades didn’t seem to hear me, because that cold look remained on his face, or maybe it was he didn’t believe me. I didn’t even fully believe myself, but I knew I didn’t want my friend to die because she found out a dangerous secret.

“I have to go now,” I said quietly, refusing to look up at him. Hades reached out and raised my chin with his finger.

“Persephone, no matter what happens, I will never let you go,” he said. He knew the trouble we could be in if this reached my mother’s ears. He leaned in and gave me a kiss before letting me run off after my friend.

As I reached the field I spotted the blonde nymph over by all my other friends. My breath caught in my throat and I ran over to them, not stopping once. When I got over to them they all turned to look at me in alarm and disgust.

“Is it true?” a redheaded nymph asked. All the other had the same questioning look. I looked over at the blonde and saw her downcast eyes.

“Yes,” I answered but before they could say anything I continued, “But please, you can’t tell anyone, especially my mother!” I pleaded with them. Finally the blonde raised her head and looked me in the eyes.

“Why did you lie to us Persephone?” she asked bitterly. “We would have kept your secret. Don’t you trust us?” I couldn’t answer that, because the truth was, I didn’t.

“I’m sorry.” Was all I could manage. The blonde rolled her eyes as she walked away, but the others stayed with me.

“We won’t tell,” the black haired nymph finally said. I shot her a grateful look then looked at the other nymphs as they all nodded in unison.

“Thank you so much!” I exclaimed. I spent the rest of the day with them and picked apples. I’d been neglecting them for too long.

When I got back to my house to find my mom cooking dinner. When she heard my footsteps coming in the house and heard the door close behind me she turned around with a scowl on her face. I hesitantly placed my basket on the table.

“Is something wrong, mother?” I asked almost nervously. Mother was usually never in a bad mood.

“Yes, Persephone, something is wrong. I just heard the most upsetting news, maybe you can put my mind at ease?” she said, walking over to me and taking my hands in her own. I nodded as I looked into her troubled eyes.

“A little blonde nymph came to me earlier today…” she began and immediately my stomach tightened and my eyes widened almost as a reflex. Mother noted this before continuing, “and she told me something I know can’t be true…she said she spotted you and Hades in the forest, embracing.”

By now I was trembling. I knew I couldn’t trust that blonde! Mother noticed my hands shaking in hers and she turned her cold eyes to me.

“So it’s true then?”

“Mother, I’m sorry, but I knew you wouldn’t approve. I love him though-” I started to explain, but she held up her hand, silencing me.

“No, I will hear none of this nonsense!” she yelled. “You’re obviously delusional. Did you forget you were a goddess? You have a duty to this earth, and to it’s people.”

“What does that have to do with Hades and I?” I protested.

“If you become involved with that no-good god he will drag you down to hell with him,” she said.

“Mother, why can’t I have a relationship with him and still live here on the earth?” I asked. Mother sat down and let out a sigh.

“Alright, I didn’t want to say it, but you leave me no choice,” she said, looking up into my eyes. “He doesn’t love you, darling. He’s playing you like a card, he only wants to have his fun then he’ll leave you and get on with his life.”

I shook my head, taking a step back. “He wouldn’t do that, he said he loves me!” I protested.

Mother got an amused look on her face. “Is that what he told you? Persephone, it’s all a lie. He doesn’t love you, he never did.” I was starting to get mad. How dare she accuse Hades of such a thing. I wasn’t stupid, I think I could tell if someone is lying to me!

“How would you know, mother?” I spat back at her. “You don’t even know him!”

“Oh, and you do? How long have you known him? Besides, I don’t need to know him, all god’s are the same!” Mother yelled at me, and then she let out a sigh. “I know because I was like you once. I met Zeus and I fell in love with him. He told me he loved me and soon after that I got pregnant with you. Right after you were born he left me and went back to his wife Hera. All the god’s do is play with young girls hearts, but they don’t care what happens to them after they have their fun. Darling, don’t make the same mistake I did, learn from it. I don’t want you to have to go through the same thing!”

“You’re lying to me! Hades would never do that! Just because Zeus left you doesn’t mean Hades will do the same to me!”

“That’s it, Persephone, I will not be disrespected in my own house!” she yelled at me, “I forbid you from seeing Hades ever again, is that clear?!”

I thought for a moment about telling her to go to Hades domain, but when I saw the rage on her face, I knew this was not the way to handle things. There was a better way. I let out a sigh and nodded.

“Yes, mother,” I said quietly and when she heard this her expression softened. She walked over to me and wrapped her arms around me in a hug.

“I’m sorry for yelling at you, darling. I just don’t want you to go through the same thing I did,” she murmured.

“I know mother. I know you want what’s best for me,” I said sadly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry to those who wanted this to be longer, but this was written for a contest and the rule was I could only have 5 chapters max, and I only had about a week to write this. I wish it could have been longer too though, so when the contest is over, I'll come back and re-write this, making it longer, but you have to stay subscribed so you'll know when I add more. And thanks to all the subscribers and reviewers, I was blown away when I logged on and saw all the reviews, subscribers and readers. You guys are awesome! =D