Status: Finished =)

I Have but Two Faces

There's a New Cook Around Town

Monday in gym class we were playing soccer. We did the routine stretch and jog before we sat on the side lines and waited for the gym teacher, Coach (how stereotypical), to assign teams; boys were to play first. I lounged in the grass as the boys were evenly distributed between the skins and shirts. Yes, skins. How is that possible in a catholic school? Because we don't have enough pennies for everyone... go figure. Anyway, the skins were one man short and Coach decided what to do. "Sonya!"
I opened my eyes and replied, "Yes, Coach?"
"You're on the skins. Get up here."
I hoisted myself up. "Alright." Most of the guys made cat calls as I sauntered over to Coach.
"Here's your penny, Now Get Into Positions!" As I ran onto the field I slipped the nasty yellow penny on and waited for the game to start. The game soon started and everyone got hot and sweaty real fast. Even though it was in the middle of September, it was a brutally hot day with the sun beating down on us. However, I still weaved through the mass of guys, collided with some, and stole from others. At one point me and my opponent, Dan, both went for the ball. We jumped sideways at each other, but I came out the victor since I was a bit taller than him. I hit the ball with my head to my teammate and Dan and I fell to the ground with Dan on top of me. He tried his best to not completely squish me, but nonetheless I still got the wind knocked out of me.
"You alright?" Dan asked as he rolled off of me, both of us ignoring the game that was still happening.
I took two deep breaths and replied, "Yeah, just need to breathe."
He got up first and offered me his hand. I gladly took it and raised my hands over my head to maximize air intake. "You good?"
"Yeah. You?"
"I'm fine, you... ah... broke my fall." A light blush colored his cheeks. I laughed and patted his wet back.
"Let's get back into he game." He nodded and we rejoined our teammates. As the game went on I apparently pissed off more than one of the jocks on the opposing team because they started getting rough with me. They'd trip me, knock me down, and blatantly push me.
Coach blew her whistle and everyone stopped, "Lyle! Foul Sonya one more time and I'm pulling you, you hear?!"
"I didn't do anything. If she can't take a rough game, she shouldn't be playing!"
"Are you talking back to me?"
"Sorry, Ma'am." He glared at me and stalked away.
Not even five minutes later, Lyle fouled me again. The ball was passed to me and he full out shoved me out of the way. If it wasn't for Luke and Micky I would have fallen to the ground... again. Coach blew her whistle again. "Alright Lyle, you're out. Get over here!" Once he stalked over to her, she handed him a pink slip and sent him off the field. "Anyone fouls again the games over and you will be writing a letter to the principal on sportsmanship. Begin!"
"But Coach, we're missing a player!" The shirts team commented.
"That's what happens when people decide to blatantly foul another player. Now go!" The rest of the gym class went well. I was no longer targeted for fear of getting detention or having the writing assignment. Coach blew her whistle one final time, signaling the period was over. "Alright go to the locker rooms and change." I walked over to her and handed her my penny. "I don't understand why you stopped playing sports, Bronte. You're so good."
"Gotta work, Coach." I shrugged before jogging off to the showers. I quickly washed myself, dried off, and changed into my uniform. As I stepped out of the locker room the warning bell sounded and I bolted to my next class.
The rest of the day was uneventful, but I did receive lots of glares from Lyle's lacrosse buddies. They think it's my fault he got detention, but besides that nothing too exciting happened excepted I found out I had new bruises. Toxin isn't going to like that... oh well.
I was driving to work to pick up Zane and my paychecks. I quietly slipped in and and knocked on my manager's door. "Come in. Hello, Azrael. How are you?"
"Good, though I have quite a bit of bruises."
"Oh dear, let me see." I lifted up me shirt and then my pant legs. She sighed. "Well, not too bad, but some of them may need to me covered up for the next shoot."
"Okay, as long as you aren't mad."
"Here for your paychecks?" I nodded and waited as she flipped through a pile of envelopes. "Here you are. I'll see you on Wednesday."
"Bye." She waved and I left to go to the house to pick up Zane.
"You ready?" I asked through the phone.
"Yep, give me one sec." Two seconds later Zane rushed out of the house and flew into the car. "Let's go!" We drove first tot he bank to deposit our checks.
"Hello, how may I help you?" A new woman was working so I had to remember what I needed to do."
"I would like $400 cash and the remaining balance to go half into savings and half into checking." The clerk nodded. After looking at my license, she handed me 400 and put the rest into my accounts.
"Anything else?"
"No that's it."
"Okay, please sign here... Have a great day." She smiled.
"You too." I walked over to the door and waited for Zane to finish. Once he was done we went back to the truck and went straight to Valentine's Garage. "Valentine!" I called as I entered.
"In here!" I walked into his office and smiled. "Got the goods?" He winked.
I laughed and replied, "But of course. I'd never skimp out on you." I handed him the money that I owed.
"Very good. Busy day?"
"You have no idea. I'll see you later." I walked out the door and passed by Jayce. He waved at me, but continued whatever he was doing. I waved back and quickly started the car. "Ready for work?"
"Yep." I dropped Zane of at work and then went to The Candle.
"Hey, Sonya." Chelsae greets as I walk into change.
"Hey, Chels. Am I late?"
She looks at her watch. "Almost. Better clock in soon." I nod and dress quickly. I punched in just as the clock hits 4pm. My shift is pretty easy going, with almost no one showing up to eat. We clean, fill the dispensers, and other miscellaneous chores. Around 6:30 a crowd comes and we actually start working. Among the dinner time crowd was some of my friends. I unfortunately was not their waitress, but I did get to see them.
"Hey, Sonya." Luke came up to the counter as I was on the computer.
"Hey, Luke. What's up?" Glancing up for a second before going back to typing in orders.
"Is Chelsae around?"
"She's on her break. You know where to find her."
"Thanks, Son."
"No prob, Lukie." He disappeared out the door and out back where most people went on their breaks. I finished with the receipt and went back tot he table. "Here is your receipt, have a great night." I walked away and as I went into the back, the cook stormed out and yelled, "I QUIT!"
"Collin, Get Back Here." My manager yelled. Collin replied with his middle finger and slammed the backdoor shut. "Great! What am I going to do now!?"
"What just happened?"
"Collin quit because I wouldn't give him a raise."
"Why won't you?"
"Because we made a contract that he would receive a raise every two years. This was not a raise year.... What am I going to do now?"
"You don't have any alternative cooks?"
"Not right now. Matt doesn't get back until Wednesday."
"I can take a wack at it. I can cook, just nothing too fancy."
"Really?" My manager gave me a look of disbelief.
"Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can make most of the food we serve during week days. Saturday food may be a little out of my league at the moment."
"So you'll cook?"
"Sure. As long as I get paid cook wages."
"Deal! Put on an apron and get back there."
"Okay, however if Collin comes back I will give it back to him." My manager nodded; knowing Collin wouldn't come back. Or at least not any time soon. I took of my dress shirt and swapped it for my gym shirt since it was already dirty. I put on an apron and hair net and got to work. For the rest of the night I cooked. I smiled the entire night. *I love cooking*
At 10 I clocked out and changed back into my uniform. Just as I shut my locker two arms flew around me and a body collided with mine; I winced. "Guess what!?" Chelsae exclaimed with giddiness.
"What?"
"Luke asked me out!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Son- pronounced like how you say the beginning of her name.

Ah sorry about any tense change. I'm really bad at staying in a single tense X/

Enjoy!