Status: Finished =)

I Have but Two Faces

A Broken Heart and Unknown Future

I entered my house still in disbelief. *I can't believe Chelsae was the one Luke was talking about. I didn't even know they talked! Luke's been keeping secrets.* I shook my head and called, "I'm home."
"In the kitchen." -Dad
"My room!" -Zane
I walked to my room to ditch my things and headed to the kitchen. "Hey dad." I kissed his cheek and plopped down on the chair opposite him.
"Hello, sweetie." He sniffed the air. "It smells like food."
"I do work at a restaurant." I laughed.
He made a face at me and replied, "It smells stronger than usual."
"Well," I leaned forward and my dad mimicked me. "I got a kinda promotion. I'm the new cook... at least until the owner hires a new one or Collin comes back."
"Congrats!" My dad smiled wide. "What happened with Collin?"
"He stormed out because he wouldn't get a raise this year. Apparently it's suppose to me every two years."
"Well, I feel bad for him, but I'm extremely happy for you. We should celebrate sometime."
"I'd like that. I'm gunna go e-mail mom, I'll see you tomorrow."
"Good-night, Honey."
"Night, Dad" I kissed him and headed to the bathroom. After showering, I e-mailed my mom and then flopped on my bed. My mind went back to Chelsae and Luke. Alth0ught it was surprising and I was in disbelief, I felt really happy for them. Chelsae has liked Luke for the past two years, but never felt like he Liked her. Luke, I wasn't quite sure when he started liking her, but I was happy he was thinking about dating again. The last girl that he went out with cheated on him and broke his heart; it crushed me to see him so depressed. The thing that sucked was, was that I was the one who had to tell Luke about his cheating girlfriend.
I was at the mall, shopping for Christmas and right in front of me was Luke's girlfriend and some random dude making out. I almost barfed when I first saw them, but when I realized who She was, I was pissed. I knew they hadn't broken up because A. I saw them kiss farewell that morning and B. Luke hadn't texted me about it. So like the good friend I was, I walked up to her and poked her shoulder.
"What!?" I snapped, until she saw it was me; Luke's best friend.
"Smile." I snapped a picture of him covered in lipstick and her shocked and looking like a mess; she was sitting right on top of him. I turned to leave.
"Wait!" She jumped off of mystery boy and grabbed my arm. "Where are you going?"
"Well, I have to finish up shopping."
"What are you going to say to Luke?"
I pondered the question a moment, "Well, I'm giving you until after school tomorrow to tell Luke that you're cheating on him. If you don't tell him, then I will. And believe me, I will." I pulled my arm out of her grasp and left. She didn't tell him at school. She didn't tell him the day after. I told him about his cheating girlfriend. I showed him the picture as proof. I dealt with him shouting at me about how it wasn't true. I went to the party where he confronted her. I saw his face crumble as he saw his girlfriend basically having sex with yet another random dude. I drove him home after he broke up with her right then and there. I was with him as he cried fro most of the night. I made sure she never went near him again.
I turned to my side and tried to stop thinking about my poor friend's failed love life. Deep down I knew that Chelsae wouldn't do that to Luke. Hell if she did, one of us would have to quit The Candle because there would be blood. But I had faith that if they did start dating, it would be okay. I turned back on my back and felt content with this new development.
"Hey Sonya." Zane barged in. "Whatcha up to?"
"Thinking."
"About?"
"Before you came in- Chelsae. Now- what schools to apply to..."
"Talk to me."
"I don't know. Applications are due soon and I have no idea what I want to do. Have you applied yet?"
"No, but I've filled out applications for Briston College of Engineering, Cleaves College, and St. Micheal's University. If I got to either of the first two, there is a course to get your pilot license."
"Really?"
"Yeah, isn't that so cool! I'm gunna try for my Doctorate of Engineering so I have a better chance with NASA."
"Remember us little people when your piloting a space shuttle to Mars." I smiled at my brother.
"I will. So do you have any career choices in mind?"
"Not really." We were quiet a moment as we both thought of what I could do. I was never one to really think about a career seriously. I could help others think of what they should do, but I never really thought about myself or where I'd be in 10 years. I guess I never really got around to it. I've always been busy with other things like working, helping my parents or friends, playing sports.
"Why don't you become a cook or pastry person? You love to cook and bake things after all. When you aren't working, you're baking cakes or something for birthdays or some event. You make breakfast, lunch, or dinner whenever you have time or even if you don't. Think about it, when was the last time our group of friends actually cooked something..."
"When they're at home or I'm not around?"
"Exactly and even if you aren't around we call you up going 'I'm huuuuungry!' and you come right over to make us something."
"I know, but... I don't know.." I felt a bit doubtful and I didn't know why.
"How do you feel when you cook or see someone smile after eating your pastry or meal?"
"Happy that I could make them happy?"
"See! And when was the last time someone didn't like your food?"
"Ah, four years ago when I added salt instead of sugar."
"See, you'd make a great cook. You pick up recipes easily and they're always delicious. You should seriously think about going into that field. Or you could become a musician. You know like 10 different instruments, you could teach them or be in a band. Or just take up modeling. You already have four years experience and are a big."
"I may be a 'big hit,' but that is because I'm a male not a female."
"So?"
"I don't think I want to keep hiding me gender just so I can get jobs."
Zane laughed and replied, "Okay, so no modeling." He turned to face me. "Think about what you really like and brings you joy and think of a career from there."
"Okay." I was still worried about getting my applications out, but I did feel a bit better about everything.
After laying on my bed quietly for a half an hour, Zane sat up. "You gunna be okay? Feeling any better about this thing called college?"
I sat up too, "I think so. Thanks, Z."
"Your welcome, sis."
♠ ♠ ♠
All colleges are made up, so if there is an actual college with any of these names it's just a coincidence.

Did you see all that coming?