Status: Finished =)

I Have but Two Faces

Don't We Get a Break?

"We forgot to call dad last night." Zane commented after I turned off the engine and we just sat in the truck, afraid to go in.
"Yep."
"He's gunna be pissed, isn't he?"
"Yep." I looked at the time; 7am. "Really pissed."
Zane swallowed hard. "Let's get this over with and show dad we aren't dead."
"Happy New Year, it was nice knowing you." I gave a scared smile and Zane gave a not-so-funny laugh. We slowly walked to the door and slowly pushed it open. "Dad?" I softly called to the very quiet house.
Our dad appeared before us with anger shining in his eyes. With a scary serious tone he said, "On the couch now." Zane and I looked at each other and darted to the couch. If we were any canine species, Zane and my ears would be down, tail between our legs, and we'd be whimpering like babies. Dad was about to say something when the phone started to ring. "Stay right here. Do. Not. Move." He walked over to the phone and answered, "Hello, Bronte residence?" Within seconds of answering, my dad's face drained of color; quite a feat considering he was naturally a pale skinned human. "What?" My head turned to face my father when he squeaked out the question. I noticed his eyes dilated in fear and his mouth open in disbelief.
"Dad?" I got up when I hear a voice repeat my father's name a few times. I took the phone from his frozen fingers and answered. "Hello?"
"Hello, is this still Mr. Bronte?" A foreign person asked.
"No, this is his daughter, Sonya."
"Will he be able to come back to the phone?"
"Um." I looked at my father and knew he couldn't hear anything. I snapped my fingers at Zane and motioned for him to take care of dad. "Not at the moment. What is wrong?"
"Are you sure it is okay for you to answer this call?"
"Yes, my dad's in a bit of shock. What's wrong?"
"My name is Shannon O'Malley, I'm a nurse at St. Jame's Hospital in Dublin, Ireland. Your mother was in an accident earlier today and is in serious condition. We have informed her work what has happened, but we believe it will be best if your father comes if possible. She has fallen into a comma and cannot be moved at this point in time to a hospital near you."
By the look on my brother's face I could tell that I had probably visibly pales at the news that our mom was in terrible condition. I took a calming, yeah let's go with that, breath and said, "Okay, thank you for telling us. My dad will be coming to the hospital, is there anything he should bring or whatever? Do you need any information?" After going through the necessary steps of receiving information and giving any needed information our conversation finally ended. "My dad will be arriving within the next 24 hours. Thank you for everything. Bye." Shannon said farewell and I hung up. "Zane!"
"Yes? What's going on?"
"How's dad?"
"In total and utter shock. He hasn't said a work except a muttered 'thanks' when I gave him a cup of coffee. What's going on?"
"Mom was in an accident and is in the hospital in Dublin." I looked at Zane in the eyes and said, "It's serious... she's in a coma, Zane. We need to get dad over there now. Can you go and help him pack? I'll get him a ticket."
"Sure..." His face showed clear signs of pain and being scared. Before he re-entered the kitchen he turned and asked, "Is she going to be okay, Son?"
"I... I don't know. I hope so." Zane left to tend to dad while I went to my room and started my computer. Half an hour later I had bought my dad a ticket to Dublin that would be leaving at 10am. I printed out the confirmation ticket and went to see how dad and Zane were. "How are you doing?"
Zane and dad looked up at me from dad's suitcase. "It doesn't seem real." My dad started spacing again.
"I bought you a ticket to Dublin. It's leaving at 10, so I'll drive you in about an hour and a half." My dad nodded sadly. "Is there anyone you can stay with?"
"Some cousins of mine live there. I'll see if I can stay with them for a week."
"I can call. Just give me the numbers and I'll take care of it. You finish packing and I'll let you know about what is happening." My dad merely nodded and Zane gave me an uncertain look. My dad was usually very calm and level headed in stressful situations, I mean he was even thinking clearly when his leg got crushed on the job. However, I think the whole mom thing was pushing his limit. If she was home it would be one thing, but she's all the way in Ireland and we have to wait hours before even being able to see or hear any new information.
I started calling relatives I didn't even know I had once dad gave me the numbers. It was weird calling international, but hey you gotta do what you gotta do. The first family I called said they couldn't take him in, but his second cousin said he would love to have my dad stay there and would help in any way. I said we were eternally grateful and told him roughly what time the plane would be landing. Once 9am rolled around, my dad was packed, I had made all the arrangements for my dad, and we headed out to the local airport.
"I'm sorry kids that I haven't been much help." Tears were in my dad's eyes.
"Don't worry. Just call us once you get there and keep us updated on mom." I hugged him tightly, the house was going to be lonely and sad without his presence there.
"Yeah, leave everything to us here. You just take care of mom." Zane smiled and also hugged him.
"You It will take you 7-8 hours to arrive in Dublin and you have an hour overlay in New York. You will be arriving in Dublin around 12am. Your second cousin Steven will be picking you up."
"Are you going to be alright? I can see if someone can come to stay with you." The sudden thought of us being alone in the house for a week finally crossed his mind.
"Don't worry dad, we got this. And if we do get lonely we'll call Luke or someone." -Zane
"No wild parties while I'm away." He said sternly.
"We know." Zane and I said in unison.
"Bye, Zane. Bye, Sonya. Thank you for everything." Tears finally spilled from my father's tear ducts and he enveloped us into a giant hug.
"Bye dad. Be safe and tell mom we love her." It killed Zane and I to know we couldn't do anything and we couldn't go see her, but we were also too tired to fully comprehend what was going on. We understood that our mom was badly hurt, it just didn't sink in. After a five minute good-bye, my dad went to the boarding area and Zane and I left for home.
Once home, we both zombie walked to our rooms; we'd been up for over 24hours straight. However, once I changed I felt anxious and didn't want to be alone. I grabbed my pillow and opened my door, and right across from me stood Zane. "I couldn't sleep..." Zane whispered.
"Me either, I don't want to be alone." Zane nodded in agreement and followed me into my room. I closed all the blinds and made it as dark as possible and crawled into bed where my brother had already curled up. We went to sleep back to back; finding comfort in knowing we weren't alone .
♠ ♠ ♠
Today we had a cool thunderstorm. It was awesome... too bad it didn't last longer.

How's Sonya and Zane going to handle these new stresses in their lives? Tell me what you think