Status: Finished =)

I Have but Two Faces

My Phone Won't Ring

I got to work on time and ran into Chelsae as I was changing into my cooking attire. "Hey Chels."
"Hey Sonya, how's it going?" She smiled as she tied her apron.
"Better, I found out today that my mom woke up." Fresh tears pricked at my eyes, but I wouldn't let them fall.
"Oh I'm so happy for you. That's great news." She smiled and hugged me.
"Thanks." We talked a little bit more before splitting off to do our jobs. My shift went by pretty uneventful except I dropped one plate, but it wasn't my fault. The floor was wet from a spilt drink and I stepped in it and CRASH goes the plate. My manager was a bit mad, but hey I was unhurt so I count that as a win for me. At 10 the boys picked me up.
"Hey giiiirl." Luke called out of the passenger's side window. "Wait! That can't be the lovely Chelsae."
"Oh, but it is little ol' me." Chelsae replied in a southern bell accent.
"Then this won't do!" He hopped out of the car, gathered her in his arms, and kissed her. "How are you doing this fine night, fair maiden?" He smiled after he kissed her.
She giggled and replied, "Fine now that I get to see everyone and you." She kissed his cheek.
"How are you getting home tonight?"
"My dad's picking me up any minute now."
"Want us to wait?"
"If y'all don't mind." We all replied in some manner that we didn't. "Thanks guys."
"No probs." We spent about five minutes talking before her dad pulled up. She waved goodbye and kissed Luke, then she skipped off to her car. Luke climbed back into the car and we went back to my house. I did homework, with the help of Micky and Luke, and then we headed off to bed with Micky and Luke fighting over the couch. I gave the other one the futon mattress Zane had.
Thursday and Friday passed without hearing anything about my mom. Zane was getting anxious again from not hearing in two days. He was between pacing the house, cleaning (big sign something was bothering him), and getting ready for the seminar.
"Zane, will you chill! You're making me spaz." I was getting annoyed as he did another lap around the living room.
"It's been two days and no one has called us! I hate suspense!" He flopped on the couch next to me.
"Coulda fooled me. Here I thought you loved it" I commented back sarcastically.
He glared at me and snapped, "Aren't you dying to know what's happening with mom? From my point of view you don't seem to care!"
"Oh no I don't care at all, I just like to torture myself with standing by my cell all day itching for it to vibrate or making sure everything is ready for if they come home! I absolutely looove making sure everyone's sane and everything is working smoothly while we're alone!" We were in each other's faces now. If you couldn't tell by now, Zane and I get on each other's nerves all the time but it's never this bad. There was so much tension I'm pretty sure we'll be gasping for air soon because it'll replace the oxygen.
"Sometimes you're an emotionless controlling twit, you know that?" he spat.
"And you're nothing but a dependent anitsocial loser."
"Don't come near me!" He got up and stormed away.
"Right back at you!" I shouted. I slammed my back against the couch and then threw a book that was on the coffee table. I stayed there for God knows how long and then decided I needed air. Staying in a tension filled house was not helping me cool off. However I never got that far. As I went to open the door my cell vibrated and I answered it. "Hello?" I asked tightly.
"Hi honey. How are you?"
I instantly froze and whispered, "Mom?"
"Yes dear." I could hear a smile in her whisper. She sounded weak or tired, I wasn't sure which. Probably both.
"Mom." I said again as tears once again erupted from my tear ducts. "I've missed you."
"I know sweetie, I know. Have you been okay? Or as okay as the situation can make someone?"
"It's been hard. Really hard..."
"I can hear it." My mother said soothingly.
"I love you. And miss you."
"I love you too, Sonya."
"Hold on." I put my hand over the receiver and called, "Zane! Come here quick!"
He booked it out of his room and asked, "What?" Half irritably and half worried.
"It's for you." I smiled.
"Hello?" He asked semi confused, but before long he was crying with joy. "Mum." I patted his back before leaving for my room to give him privacy. I sat down on the floor with my back to the bed and placed my head on my knees. So many emotions were coursing through my veins that I didn't know what to do. After time passed, Zane entered and handed me back my phone.
"Hi honey. I have to get going, but I wanted to tell you I love you and am so proud of you."
"Thanks mom. Come home soon, please."
"I'll do my best. I'll see you soon. Bye, honey."
"Bye." I hit the END button and let my phone drop to the floor. "Mom's okay." I said in disbelief.
Zane sat next to me and replied, "She is, that was definitely her on the phone." I leaned my head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arms around me. We were quiet until he said, "Sonya?"
"Yeah?"
"I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't mean any of it... I was just anxious and looking for a fight."
"I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have said those things. You are the least antisocial person I know." I chuckled and he joined in.
"Am I able to borrow the truck tomorrow for the seminar?"
"Sure, I don't have work. Thank goodness."
"Okay, thanks. Wanna go watch a movie?"
"Sure. Which one?"
"Hmmm... How to Train Your Dragon?"
"Heck yes!" I jumped up. "I'll go make the popcorn!" I darted out of my room and started to make popcorn as Zane set up the movie.
♠ ♠ ♠
On Sunday my parents renewed their vows and it was beautiful. This summer has actually been really busy! I love it. I want to give all my lovely readers a heads up that July 12-15th I won't be updating because I will be at an anime convention ^_^ So if you happen to be there HI! and if not then I will update either that Monday or Tuesday. Cheers all =D