Status: Finished =)

I Have but Two Faces

Answer the Phone Uniquely

I woke to a quiet house. I walked out of my room stretching and called, "Zane?!" Only silence answered back. I swung open his bedroom door only to find no occupant. *Oh yeah, he's at the seminar all day.* I yawned and walked into the kitchen to make myself some breakfast. As I was scrambling the eggs for my french toast my phone vibrated on the counter. "City Morgue, You Kill 'Em We Chill 'Em. How may I help you?" I rested my phone on my shoulder and finished the scrambling.
"Well I got this... man I need chilled until tomorrow when I dump his body- I mean until his ah funeral." A male voice replied.
"Okay, and how tall is this man? I need to make sure I have the right frig for him." I laughed.
"Hmm hold on let me measure him." I could here a tape measurer and Micky yelling 'Hey, Luke stop that!' I chuckled. "OW! He's about 6 feet."
"Okay, well," I dipped my bread into the batter and laid it on the the pan. "I don't believe we have a frig long enough for him. Since he's still alive I guess you'll have to wait til we have room. I'm sorry."
"Damn, there must be many dead people this year." Luke turned his head and replied, 'Micky I guess you're living today.' He turned back to me, "Well since I can't be a customer today... whatcha up to?"
"Making myself some foooood. You?"
"Hopping into my car and coming over to join you in the morning meal."
"Oh you are, are you?"
"Yep, right everyone?" In the background a group of YES's were heard.
"How many people am I feeding this fair morning?"
"Um, four today m'lady."
"Okay, but if I am you have to pick up bread and eggs or I won't have enough."
"We can do that. See ya in a bit."
"Bye." I laughed.
"Bye!" The phone went dead, but I kept it in my ear until I flipped the toast and let it cook. As I watched the food I set the table for four more people and went back to my cooking. Ten minutes later the doorbell rang. "One sec!" I called as I flipped another piece of toast and moved the pan to a cool coil. I jogged over and greeted everyone. "Hey, guys." They all greeted me and we walked into the kitchen.
"Here's the bread and eggs." Lyla smiled.
"Thanks." I smiled. We chatted as I finished with breakfast.
"Where's Zane?" Chelsae asked as I set down the plate of french toast.
"He's at the seminar."
"Oh so he did end up going. I'm happy for him." Luke smiled right before he stuffed his mouth with syrupy food.
"Yeah, I was gunna be bummed if he didn't go. The speaker is like his idol and everything."
"Don't we know. When he goes off on one of his tangents, the guy is always brought up." Lyla laughed. "He's idolized him since we first met him."
"Has he always known that he's wanted to be an astronaut?" Chelsae asked.
"Basically. Ever since we went to our first science museum trip and went went to the stars room, he's been obsessed."
"Wow, I'm jealous. I'm going to college undecided." Chelsae sighed.
"Don't worry about it, a lot of people do." Luke consoled. She smiled gratefully at him. After eating we hung out in the living room, being accompanied by Kat, Marco, Sven, and Jayce; Tristan was going to meet up with us later.
"What should we do tonight? I'm bored." Luke complained as he draped his legs over the couch and lounged up-side-down.
"Luke." Chelsae scolded and pushed his legs sideways, causing him to shift.
"Why don't we go to The Candle? We haven't done that in a while." Lyla suggested.
Everyone looked at each other, smiled and said, "Yeah!" At 9 we climbed into the cars and headed to my work place. We greeted the bouncer and went in. A local band was playing and we cheered with everyone else when their song ended. The next song started and we joined the sweaty crowd to dance. At some point during the night Tristan joined us and we laughed as we danced with each other.
We were sitting at a table drinking water when Swing Life Away started playing. "I Love This Song!" I jumped out of my seat. "Jayce come join me!" I grabbed his hand and pulled him out of his seat.
"But-" He didn't have a change to finish before I dragged him into the middle of the throng of people, twirled him, and placed my arms on his shoulders.
"So Master Jayce, how have you been?" I smiled.
"Very good in your standards. Love working on cars." He smiled back. "How about you, Sonya? How are you doing?" He asked gently.
"A lot better. Mum woke up and we actually talked to her yesterday." I wiped a single tear before it fell. Jayce pulled me into a hug. "Feels like a lot less stress and worry is crushing me. I can't wait for my parents to come home. It's been far too long."
"They'll be home soon. They're both no doubt worried about you two. How is Zane doing?"
"Hasn't said much?"
Jayce shook his head. "He doesn't really talk much about his emotions."
"True that." I laughed. "But he's doing better too. We got into a fight yesterday, but once we heard from mom the tension between us completely disappeared. He looks a lot better too and he even went out of town to his seminar. A very good sign."
"It is. Every time I've seen him, he's looked pretty bad."
"Yeah, he's lost a lot of sleep over the month." The song ended and another one began, yet we didn't change the way we danced. "May I ask you something?"
"Sure." He asked confused.
"Do you like my brother?"
Very startled now he replied, "Yes, he's my friend."
"No, I mean liike him."
"Ooh!" His cheeks lit red and he bowed his head in embarrassment. "Ah, um yeah."
"I thought so." I smiled.
"You don't think it's weird do you?"
"Not really. I don't care as long as you don't mess with him, but you don't seem like the type to do that. However, I should warn you that I don't think my brother is gay. He's never hinted towards that."
"Yeah, I know. But you can't help who you like right?" He sadly laughed.
"I'd agree, but I'm defective remember."
"I'm sorry." We laughed together at our sad love lives.
As we were laughing I got tapped on the shoulder. I turned and asked, "Ye-" I didn't even get to finish before I was slapped across the face. "Holy Hell!! What The F**ck! Why!?" I turned to face none other than Trina.
"What the hell, Sonya!" She angrily looked at me.
"What the heck did I do?" I shouted as I gripped my cheek.
"Oh Like You Don't Know!" By now most of my friends surrounded us.
"Clearly I don't! Why'd you slap me...again?"
"Why the F**ck did you have to go tell my parents!"
"Tell them what?" I was utterly confused.
"That I started smoking you dumb ass!"
"I didn't tell them anything!"
"Like hell you didn't! How else would they have found out!?"
"I-"
"I told them." We all turned to face Tristan.
"What!?" Trina and I shouted in unison.
"Sorry I caused you a slap Sonya, but I told them Trina."
"Why?" She cried. I could see betrayal in her face; he was the only one she still talked to.
"Because you can't keep doing this to yourself. You're going to end up dead, pregnant, or contract some kind of STD before your 20 if you continue down this path you're on."
"But-"
"They needed to know, and as a Friend I needed to tell them."
"You Jerk!" She dashed out of the crowd.
"Trina!" Tristan ran after her and I went to follow, but arms wrapped around me.
"What-"
"Let her go." Micky replied. "They need to settle this on their own. He'll find her or call if he needs help. At the moment, "He looked down at me with a hint of sadness in his eyes. "We need to take care of your cheek." I hesitantly agreed and followed everyone to get ice for my cheek. As I placed the cool semi-solid pack on my cheek, I worried about my friend and ex-friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
My brother once answered a telemarketer with how Sonya answered her phone. A friend of mine answered by clearly stating in English that he only speaks French. Good times ^_^