Status: Finished =)

I Have but Two Faces

Birthday Month?

Two days after our interview, Zane and I were getting ready for yet another work day when my cell rang. "Hello?"I asked as I slipped on my sneakers.
"Hi, honey." My dad greeted, his voice sounding normal for the first time.
"Hey dad, what's up?" Zane stopped what he was doing and looked at me. I put my cell on speaker so we could both hear.
"We-"
"Hi, Sonya!" My mom greeted from the background.
"Hi Mom!" We both said in unison.
"Hi, Zane!"
"How are you?"
"Okay, and you?"
"Better." Zane smiled, his face always lit up after hear from or about mom.
"That's good. Oh sorry dear."
"No problem. Anyway, the doctor said that if nothing critical happens they should be able to transport your mother to a hospital closer to home in about a week."
"Really!?" -Zane and I
"Yes, she has to have a few more tests done and monitored some more, but it looks like she'll be back in the US in a week."
"Yay!" We high fived with giant grins.
"We have to get going, mom's about to go in for some test. We'll talk to you later. Bye."
"Bye dad. Bye Mom." -together
"Bye, darlings." -Mom
I hung up and instantaneously we hugged each other. "Mom's coming hoome!" I smiled.
"I know. That means she should be here for our birthday." Zane's grin grew.
"I totally forgot about our birthdays being this month." I laughed. Zane shook his head and joined in. "Well, we best be off. Our shifts start soon." Zane nodded and we headed out the door.

I walked into the back with two minutes to spare. "Wow you're cutting it close." Chels teased.
"I know, but Zane and I got a call from our parents." I quickly stripped off my shirt and swapped it for my work one.
"Really? What'd they tell you?"
"Mom might be home in a week. Home as in close by hospital."
"Oh congrats, Son!" She hugged me and bounced. "Well, I'd love to stay and chat but some of us actually have to work." She winked and hurried to the front. I laughed and went to the kitchen to relieve Matt of his cooking duties.
Nothing really exciting happened at work. At one point, when I was waiting for an order and the food to fully cook, I thought about how I kind of missed waitressing. Back here the only people I interacted with were the other kitchen workers and the waiters, while when I worked the front I got to meet old and new people. I love cooking, but sometimes I wish I could talk to random strangers about how they liked the town or food. But what can you do?

"Bye!" I called as my shift ended and I walked out to my car.
"Sonya!" I turned to see Chels running to me. "Do you mind dropping me off? My dad I guess fell asleep and Luke doesn't have a car at the moment."
"Sure, as long as you don't mind us picking up Zane."
"Nope, not at all." She smiled and jumped into the passenger's seat. We drove to the bookstore to find Luke and Zane waiting outside.
"I thought you'd never come. I was afraid of being killed or mugged." Zane laughed as he strolled over to the truck.
"I pick you up at the same time every day, how can you keep thinking that?" I laughed.
"Cuz I'z a scared." He replied in a child's voice.
"But you have me!" Luke exclaimed. "Hey Son! CHELS!" He ran to the passenger's side, whipped open the door, and hugged his girlfriend.
"Hey, babe." She greeted.
"What a lovely surprise. But why are you here?"
"Dad fell asleep and mom's working the graveyard shift."
"Gotcha. Son, do you have room for one more poor fellow?"
"As long as we don't get stopped and no one minds cramming." Chels got out and Zane got in followed by Luke and finally Chels. We caught up on things like my mom possibly coming home as we dropped off Chels and Luke.
When Zane and I finally got home, we were dead on our feet. "I'm going to bed." Zane mumbled.
"Same. I'll see you in the morning." I yawned and shuffled to my room. I grabbed my pajamas, did my thing in the bathroom, and passed out on my pillow.
Suddenly, I jolted away when I heard a CRASH outside my door. *Shit, what was that? Did a burglar enter our house? What do I do? Please don't come in here!* I tried to be as quiet as possible when David Tennant started ringing in my ear. *Great I'm gunna die.* "Hello?" I whispered into my phone.
"Son, can you come here?" Zane asked in a semi-panicked voice.
"Sure. Be right over." I shut my phone and crept across my floor; making no noise at all. I quietly opened my door and thought *I'm gunna be seen and die...* I slipped across the hall and opened my brother's door.
"Son?"
"It's me." I flipped on the light and Zane was out of his bed. His eyes flicked to his window and then he walked over his closet. He looked for only a second and picked up plastic box. "So apparently this fell and made that loud noise." He laughed and I let out a breath and joined.
"That scared the piss out of me." I leaned against the door frame as the adrenaline wore off.
"Me too. I thought something flew into my room!" He placed the box back into his closet and and shut the doors.
"I thought someone was in our house. When you called I was like great I'm gunna die because they now know where my room is and I have to cross the hall." We chuckled at how panicked we were. "Well, I'm gunna go back to bed. Night Zane.
"Night Sonya. Thanks for coming to my rescue." He winked and the rest of the night was thankfully uneventful.
♠ ♠ ♠
The ending actually happened a few months ago to me. It's pretty funny to think of it now, but when it was happening I was pretty freaked out and actually thought I'm gunna die when my sister called me. Come to find out it was a hard plastic box that had fallen from her closet. We had a good laugh and it wasn't until the event was done that my brother popped his head out of his room and asked what happened.

So just because I can... You should read my other story Tristis Nox. I think it's interesting and if I get a few more subscribers I may actually update it more regularly and finally finish it after four years. ;)

Cheers!