Status: Finished =)

I Have but Two Faces

Legal, Can't Do Stupid Things Anymore

It's been a few weeks since mom came home and before we knew it, Zane and I were turning 18. We didn't have to work today, since A. it was our birthday and our bosses were nice enough to give us the day off and B. we thought we deserved a day off since we'd been working like crazy. Dad said we could have our friends over for the night as long as we didn't make a mess or get the police called on us; we readily agreed. While dad was visiting mom, who by the way should be coming home in the next week, score!, the group of us went to go see a movie.
At the theater we decided to see Gone, a movie about a young woman who comes home from work and finds her sister has been abducted. Thinking it's the same person who kidnapped her a year earlier, the woman goes out to find her sister before the sister is killed. We bought our drinks and food and as we were walking to the theater we saw Trina. We all just stopped and stared and she mirrored us. I could tell something was different about her than her, now, usual high and drunk look; she actually looked with it today. She was the first to move, she gave a short nod, casted her gaze down, and swiftly moved to her destination. We looked at each other and then without talking walked into the movie.

Once the movie was over, we headed back to my house for a night of junk food, real food, movies, and video games. Around 7pm my dad came home with a large box. We soon found out what it was when everyone started singing 'Happy Birthday' to us. With smiles we all took a piece of cake, some ice cream, and headed back into the front room to watch Tron. Next we played Left for Dead 2 and we once again switched off playing with each mission completed. I once again played carrier as we tried to get Marco the Gnome Chompsky achievement; I died yet again trying to get to the chopper. I threw my controller in dismay. "AGAIN!? What the heck!"
"You'll survive next time, Son." Marco laughed.
"Don't worry I died too." Lyla tried to console.
"Thanks, guys." I pouted and gave up my spot for the next person. The hours passed with lots of laughter and fun. At one point I stretched my tight muscles from sitting and called that I'd be back. I walked out onto the porch and stretched again.
"Getting some fresh air?" I turned to see Micky closing the back door.
"Yeah." I yawned. "It's such a nice night."
"Agreed."
"What are you doing out here?"
"Fresh air, and cooling off. With at least 10 teenagers in there jumping around, it gets pretty hot."
"Especially in such a small house." I laughed. I sat down in the loveseat and Micky joined me. "So how have you been, Mister Micky?"
"Alright, schools tough, getting over heartache is hard, but I'm surviving. You?"
"I have my good days, and bad days. Though I don't think about it much, I've been working like crazy." My head gently fell back to rest on the arch of the seat.
"Money tight again?" Micky and Luke were the only two who usually knew how bad our money situation was.
"Yeah, physical therapy for mom is gunna cost a lot and with mom only getting at most half of her normal check and dad barely working at the library, Zane and I have to pick up as many hours as possible again."
"What are you going to do about college?"
"I don't know... I really want to go to Markov's Culinary Institute, but what about money? I've been putting in for as many scholarships and the school gave me a wicked good financial packet, but once Zane and I leave what are mom and dad gunna do? Whenever I sit down to think about college I start to freak out."
"Everything will fine. You should talk to your parents though, they should know about your worries."
"I know, but everything's stressful right now. When would be a good time?"
"Maybe when your mother's been home for a little while and things get into a routine?"
"I'll think about it. Thanks Micky."
"You're welcome. What's Zane thinking?"
"I've seen him get into deep thought whenever he starts looking into Briston or NASA. I think he's having the same worries as me."
"Then you two definitely need to talk to your parents, this does effect your future.."
"I know." I sighed and then lifted my head. "How about you? Have you decided officially what you want to do?"
"Yeah." He hesitated before saying anything. "I'm going into the marines after we graduate. I talked to the recruiting office already. I'm suppose to meet with them in June."
I was quiet a moment, "Have you talked to your parents?"
"Yeah, a little while ago. Mom was hysterical and asked me 50 times if I was sure, while dad was quiet. Mom still asks me everyday if I'm sure."
"Are you sure?" I looked into his face as he replied.
"Yes, I'm 100% sure. I've been thinking about it for a while now, since the end of last year really. I looked at colleges and different careers, but being a marine was always there. I love this country and I want to keep it safe for those I love, know, and don't know." He said it with such conviction I knew he was serious about this path. Then his serious face faded as he faced me with apprehension. "Do you think I should do it?"
"If it's what you really want, and I can tell it is, then you go for it. I believe you can be one of the best marines out there and I know you'll protect this country with all your heart. And all your friends and definitely your family will be here waiting and praying for you." I smiled at him and placed a hand on his shoulder, "I know you can do it."
"Thanks, Sonya." He hugged me. "It means a lot to hear it."
"It's nothing, just make sure you're safe while you're doing your thing."
"I will." He hugged me tight one more time and we let go.
"I didn't think you cared for my opinion thaat much."
"Of course it does, your my best friend. Also, the last time I told someone she kinda flipped."
"Oh." I left it at that, I knew who he meant immediately. "Well, don't fret I will not freak out on you, however while you are out traveling the world I will send you mucho letters... some may have freak outs in them, but I support your decision."
"I can handle that." He laughed.
"Well, now that we've poured our heart out to each other, I suggest that we go in and party!"
"Sounds good."
♠ ♠ ♠
I believe this story has become more complicated than I originally thought... Oh well. They're finally 18 yay!