For My Sake

Amaryllis

“Amy you have to go”, Rue Chambers protested as her best friend Amaryllis
Entered the 95.9 radio station building to claim her prize. “You don’t just win and then get rid of backstage passes to One Direction”

“I have to” Amy responded playing with her usual braid that fell over her left shoulder. “The way I see it is that this is quick cash”
“Ok well how about the fact that nothing this great has happened to you in forever….or the crazy luck that got you the passes in the first place” Rue kept up with Amaryllis who walked at a swift pace.
“Say I decide to go, what about my mom? I cant just leave her for so long”
“She does it to you” Rue argued back.

“Your mom…” she tried to piece together the right words as best as she could. Truth was, Amaryllis’ mother was a mess, a hot mess at that. The woman awoke at noon, drank herself into a stupor till ten, then dawned her sluttiest regalia to walk Pacific avenue and sell herself just to keep the routine of drugs and alcohol alive. It was pitiful, but it had been something that came from the unexpected death of Amaryllis’ dad Joseph three years ago. Amaryllis experienced a total downfall, everything in her life went from lavish to scattered and soot.

“I mean you don’t feel guilty sleeping at my place or working overtime at the Nugget” Amy had it rough, she lived in a small room at the Destiny Inn on the Black Horse Pike. It was bum central, but for 400.00 a month it was her home and it was the only thing she could afford for now. Her mother didn’t help one bit, Amy paid the monthly fee at the Inn, the cell phone service, groceries, clothes, laundry and anything else they would need to survive. Just two months ago, Amy got a car, so car insurance was added to her stack of responsibilities.

“But Rue that’s different” she was still playing with her braid. “I could use the money and get at least 300 for the passes, if I’m lucky. “ A hefty woman wearing a shirt two sizes too small greeted them behind an office and started to lead them down a hallway. Her legs were smashed together in a pencil skirt too small for her wide hips. There was no windows, which Amaryllis found odd, and the hallway stretched for twenty some odd feet, the secretary woman with the hips walked slowly careful not to step wrong and sprain a doughy ankle.

She knocked on a door with the number 95.9 on it before opening the door. Her excessive perfume hitting the girls as they stopped standing a bit too close. “I think I just ate your perfume” Amaryllis told her. “What is that, Gardenia?”
“Oh we have a comedian huh” she rolled her eyes then turned to the man behind the microphone who had been joshing around with five young guys. The guys looked over and Rue whispered to Amaryllis is excitement. “They’re even cuter in person”
“Oh…that’s them” Amy whispered back. She looked at them quickly then whispered back. “Not bad looking, but they all look alike except Blondie”
“Kramer, this is Amaryllis Ponce De Leon and Rue Chambers, they’re here to claim their prize.” with that small introduction she walked back to her cubicle of a desk. DJ Kramer waved them in, offered refreshments and introduced them to the boys. Harry, the curly cheeky one, Liam the smart looking one, Zayn the dark one, Nial aka Blondie and Louis the one in the stripes…that’s how Amaryllis told them apart. Louis stood and offered Amaryllis his seat, his accent clear and attractive to even her.

She sat, and scooted some so Rue can sit too, but curly boy aka Harry gave her his seat. Kramer spoke with them briefly asking where they were from, and Rue as always stole the spotlight but Amy didn’t mind. She knew Rue didn’t mean it at all. “Amaryllis, who is your favorite member on 1D?” Kramer asked her making eye contact and making it obvious he was asking her and not Rue. However, Rue knew what was coming and covered mouth. “I don’t know Kramer” Amaryllis looked at them both. “I guess Louis because he gave me his seat. Not too many gentleman out there” as she finished Louis flashed her a smile. “But don’t get it twisted, I don’t really know too much about them”
“Burn” Kramer laughed looking at the boys for a response but Rue quickly eased the tension.
“Amaryllis can be funny”
“Can I just get my passes and keep it pimping” she stood and held out her hand. Kramer handed them to her with a wide smile. “Thankyou Kramer, it was nice but I have to get to work. Rue you coming or staying?”

“We will see you two at the show then?” Louis asked
“Yeah I mean your friend seems like a riot” Zayn told Rue gesturing to Amy.
Rue felt her face get red. “She is a riot, we call her queen sarcasm and yes you will see us there”