For My Sake

A little less conversation, a little more Pizza

Amaryllis walked slowly behind the big buff security guard, Rue biting what used to be her nails and occasionally looking over at Amy. Rue knew it was the time of day when her mother was getting a hit, snorting a line, smoking a blunt and downing it with whatever liquor she fancied at the moment. It was Amy’s routine, to worry the minute the clock struck nine. In the next hour, her mother would tease her bleached blonde hair, makeup her pale skin and glue on fake lashes; she’d spray herself with knockoff Gucci perfume she got from her pimp for a birthday present and wear sequined shoes that gave drag queens a run for their money. It was a state of panic for Amy, her mother was the only family she had left, everyone else lived miles away on the island of Puerto Rico, old and senile. And, it was not surprising to find her mothers pimp was a nasty, harsh a cruel man who took himself very seriously.
“Worried about your mom again?” Rue whispered, her hand rubbing Amy’s back. Amy, as pained and worried as she always was, she never let people see her cry; she was good at faking things.
“Yeah, its frustrating” was her response. Rue chewed the inside of her bottom lip, countless times Rue’s parents opened the doors to their house to Amy for a permanent home but her mother was what always held her back. She cared too much to leave.
“Put on a smile, what’re you going to let these guys see you all upset”
Amy stopped walking and looked at Rue. “If it hasn’t clicked in you yet Rue, these boys are the last of my worries right now. Don’t expect me to be all giddy as chicken shit for them because miles away my mother will be strolling the street getting pocket change in exchange for blowing someone off. So don’t give me that put on a smile bull” she cocked her hip, Rue took her by the hand and led her down the hall to where the husky man stopped in front of a door.
“I don’t have time for your attitude Amy, you’re here, enjoy life for two fucking hours my lord”
__________________________

They sat eating pizza, Rue a chatterbox as always, making jokes and being the center of attention which was easy since these guys seemed to find her easy to look at anyway. Rue was the quintessential beauty, long blonde hair with intense green eyes, and full lips. Her personality was quite bubbly which shined through and she was statuesque, standing at 5’10 and leaving Amaryllis 6 inches behind. Amaryllis was pretty in her own right, she had long brown hair and hazel eyes but her skin was olive and her lashes full. Everyone had something to say about her smile and her eyes, but her smile was something rare and often not seen. People smile when they have reasons to, and Amaryllis very seldom had reasons to.
“You’re awfully quiet” curly pointed out giving Amy a small nod with his face. “Do we appall you that bad?” he laughed. How cute, she thought sarcastically, self deprecating humor.
“I don’t know you all to be appalled” she took a napkin and wiped her mouth. “Don’t worry though, I’ve seen worse”
“What’s your problem, you seem tense” Louis now. She remembered him by name. “Let loose have some fun”
“Yes, let loose, who cares” the one with the Irish accent said. Amaryllis looked at each of them, then her friend, this was definitely awkward.
“Sorry, what are your names again” she blinked and looked at them as they introduced themselves with smiles. Welcoming smiles. “Ok, got it. Harry, Niall, Louis, Liam and Zayn …. I should remember now”
“Rue was telling us you’re quite the comedian” Harry asked, he seemed most keen on getting to know her, everyone else sort of gravitated to Rue, this was usual. He stood and made his way to where she was sitting and sat beside her, his eyes giving her a once over. “You are best friends?”
Amaryllis nodded. “Like my sister” she took a bite of her pizza, immediately covering her mouth with a napkin, careful not to show the slaughter in her mouth. Despite her worries, she had to admit, he was easy on the eyes, his rich brown curls and pretty boy eyes. Don’t even get her started on those dimples.
By the time they had to leave, Amy was convinced she knew why her friend was fond of this group. She had come across many people working in a casino in Atlantic City. Atlantic City was tourist central, but she never seemed to adjust to people well, however these boys were like bundles of charm, and they seemed genuinely interested as the night progressed, in what she had to say. “Where’s your friend?” Harry asked as Amy put on her jacket. She was struggling, to her content, he helped, fixing the sleeve so her arm slid right in. “Probably in the bathroom caking on more makeup. She tends to do this before we go anywhere, she’s hopeful to meet someone”
He chuckled, and looked around. Awkward, awkward indeed. “Next time we are in Atlantic City Ms. Ponce De Leon, I’d love to see you again”
It was her turn to laugh, and laugh she did. “Okay, how many times have you used that line before”
“Bull shitting or seriously” he threw it at her, Harry found her attitude interesting but he knew how to dish it back.
“Both”
“Once, seriously. Zero, bull shitting.” his accent mixed with his tone, she had to sit down to prevent herself from falling due to retarded knees. “So when can I see you again?”
“Probably never”, she was being frank. “your what, super famous and I’m just a server from the Nugget” she sighed and rolled her eyes. “I’m just being….blunt”
“I appreciate honesty, but that doesn’t mean I wont try. We are in Philly tomorrow, want to spend the day there with me?”
“I have work”
“So call off” there was a flash of hope in his eyes that made her frown. “Call off”
“I cant, I kind of need the money”
“One day wont hurt you”
“I called off tonight to be here, I’m sorry” she bit her lip, he nodded and shrugged. Amaryllis didn’t take his apparent interest in her seriously. After all, it was Harry Styles, and she was just the girl from the destiny Inn.
♠ ♠ ♠
PLEASE PLEASE READ AND COMMENT. its just starting