Murals Over Morals

002.

It surprised me when I had gotten the call from a Mrs. Maledotte. She had asked me to paint a mural on her daughter's bedroom wall. The request had been a dead tree with doves flying away from it. The request didn't really make much sense to me, but I didn't question. I was just really psyched to get the job in the first place.

I had gathered all of my art supplies and put them by the door, searching my apartment for anything I might've forgotten. The last thing I needed was to forget something important, then having to look like an idiot and running all the way back to the house.

Finally deciding that I had everything, I grabbed my car keys and paint supplies, heading out to my car.

When I first tryed to start the car, it sputtered and died. On the second try it started up just fine. I breathed a sigh of relief.

That would just be another thing I needed- Car problems. I knew I had to get a new battery for the car, but to get a new battery I had to get money, and to get money I had to do what I did best- Art.

I had never really gotten such a big oppertunity as this. I had finished college, but no one would hire me. It was really disenchanting, but I would grasp this oppertunity by the teeth.

I drove down the street looking for the address Mrs. Maledotte had given me.

When I finally came upon the house, my eyes widened a bit.

The house was very nice. Well kept.

Great... So this is the kind of family I have to deal with.... I thought to myself.

I wasn't a big fan of the nice, well-kept house people. Yes, I am aware that must be very stereotypical, but, geez, I just couldn't help but be weary of those kinds of people. It's like, if you got even a speck of dirt on a table or the carpet the owner of the house would come at you like a bat out of hell.

Pushing those thoughts aside, I pulled into the drive way, turning off my car, grabbing my paint, brushes, and all the other things I would need, and then walked to the front door of the house.

I set down the brushes and knocked on the door.

A lady wearing a plaid shirt, blue jeans, and white sneakers answered the door.

This surprised me. The lady of this house wore that? Not that I was complaining, though.

"Are you Gerard Way?" The lady asked.

I gave her a shy smile and nodded. "Yes, ma'am. You must be Mrs. Maledotte."

"Yes, sir, I am." She smiled, shaking my hand. "Well, come in, come in."

I grabbed the paint and stepped inside the house.

The house was very nice inside. As I had thought, it was very well-kept and neat.

"Which room will I be doing, ma'am?" I asked, looking around the room.

"My daughter, Ci." Mrs. Maledotte answered. “Her room is upstairs, Mr. Way.”

I nodded. "Okay, ma'am."

I then started heading up the stairs.

The door to Ci's room was ajar, I walked in and saw a heap on the bed that was to my right.

I sat the paint down and shut the door softly, hoping that I wouldn't wake up the sleeping form.

Mrs. Maledotte suddenly walked into the room. “Oh? She's still asleep? Well, you can just start with the dead tree here by the door, and when she gets up she can tell you the rest. She's not sleeping, she's insomniac, she's probably just out of energy.”

I sat down on Ci's bed, sinking down quite a bit.

“Okay, I'll be sure not to be to loud, and I'll get started.” I said, looking at Ci's maybe-not-sleeping-form.

"Alright, Mr. Way. I'll be downstairs if you need me."

I nodded, "thank you ma'am."

Mrs. Maledotte smiled and walked out of the room.

I stayed on the bed, looking at Ci's back, as she wasn't facing me. I wondered if she really was asleep. I wonder what she looked like.

After about five minutes, though, I sighed and stood up.

It was time to start painting the mural.