Murals Over Morals

007.

I laid down in my bed, my head feeling heavy, and aching. The pillow did little to help the pain, as the room spun and I forced my eyes shut to calm myself down. Sometimes, I did pass out, for an hour or two, or more, so my body could regain some energy. I grabbed the covers and pulled them up to my chest, as my mind started to go over the night's events. The crash of the mug against the tile floor sounded in my brain again, and the feeling of Gerard's arms wrapping around me to steady me and stop me from falling reinvented itself in my mind. He was warm, and had the smell of paint and cigarettes wafting around him, that I remembered clearly.

A small smile tugged at the corners of my lips, as my headache worsened from remembering the potent smell of the paint, but it was still a good feeling. Gerard seemed like a happy person, a comfortable person, and something about him just made me feel content, even by just thinking of him.

My eyes tiredly opened again, and I stared at the mural on my wall that had just been started. The light pencil lines were barely visible, and two cans of paint sat closed by my desk, and his brushes laid over top of them, on their lids. I smiled even wider, and just couldn't wait for him to come back tomorrow...

The next night, my mom was leaving about an hour before Gerard was supposed to be getting here. She had a date with some guy she met at work. She stood at the door in cheetah heels, and a red dress, and she looked stunning. “Have fun, mom.” I smiled lazily at her, and handed her coat to her, and her keys and gave her a hug.

“Okay, honey, Gerard should be here in an hour, and you know the emergency numbers are by the door. You can call me if you need anything.” She kissed my cheek, and I rubbed the red lipstick away as she smiled and waved and left, shutting the door behind her.

Now my heart started to beat a little faster as I ran up the stairs and took my pajamas off. I didn't want to look so tired tonight. I put on some black leggings, and my white tank-top, with a flogging molly tight t-shirt over it. I fixed my make up and my thick black eyeliner, and brushed my hair out. Then, I went downstairs and made two cups of coffee, knowing he'd want some, and he'd be here any time. I swallowed, and sat down on the couch, and turned on cartoon network.

I was a little nervous, I had never liked a boy before, let alone a man. I was home-schooled, due to my insomnia, so I never really had much social interaction. All I knew was that my heart felt like I was stuck in my throat, and it was pounding, trying to get out. I didn't know if I liked it or not.

The door bell rang, and I jumped, almost spilling my coffee. I sat it down on the coffee table, and went to the door and opened it. Sure enough, there stood Gerard. He was in black skinny jeans, and a misfits shirt, and his leather jacket. His shaggy black hair was all messy and his warm hazel eyes peered down at me.

“Uh, hey.” I let him and stood back, shutting the door after he came in.

“Well, you look different tonight.” He chuckled and looked down at me. I swallowed and tried to hide the blush on my face. “Mmm, do I smell coffee?” He smiled and I nodded.

I handed him his cup, “I went ahead and made you one, I knew you'd be asking for some.” I smiled and walked up the stairs first, to my room. I was even more nervous now, and the feeling of it was giving me the shakes. My hands were trembling. I looked over at my shoulder at him, watching him take a sip of his coffee, following me. I went into my room and sat down on the bed. I looked up at the mural. Gerard entered behind me, and sat his mug down on the desk and looked over at the mural.

He looked like he was thinking for a moment, and then looked at me with a smile. “I think I'll continue with the trees.”

“Okay.” I whispered and smiled, laying down on my belly, on my bed, to watch him. I laid my head on my arms, and watched him grab his pencil, and started drawing the limbs branching out. He seemed to fade into his own world, forgetting everything around him. He was just focusing on his art, and I just laid there and watched, all silent.