Status: Being Revised As Of 6/7/2012

Right By Your Side

Chapter One

Lennox’s P.O.V.
Today was the first day of school after winter break. I only had twenty weeks of school left before graduation, and I couldn’t be happier. I got up extra early to take a shower and get ready since it was such a big day. After I showered, I put on my brand new outfit, and did my make-up lightly. Once I was done, I went and made myself breakfast.

Soon it was time for me to leave, so I said goodbye to my mom and headed out. It only took me about ten minutes to walk to school. When I arrived, I saw tons of new ninth graders. I also saw a bunch of people from my past classes. I quickly walked up to the board that held all of the first period classes, and looked for my name.

‘Anderson, Lennox C 12 Rm. 38 Relationships for Life’

Once I realized where room 38 was, I made my way there, slowly. I most definitely did not want to be the first one there. When I opened the door I immediately recognized a few people. There was a seat in the middle of the classroom that I saw open, so I took it. In all my years of going to school I had never been a front row geek or a back row delinquent. Somehow I just sort of fell in the middle. Not that I minded, actually that’s where I felt the most comfortable.

“Good morning class!” our teacher greeted us, as he walked in. Mostly everyone just grunted, too tired to make any real response. It was the first day and we were all either hung over or just plain tired. I mean would you expect anything less from a bunch of high school kids?

“Welcome to Relationships for Life! So first I’m going to pass out your program cards, and then you guys are going to pair up,” he started. It took him a few minutes to give everyone their program cards. When I got mine, I read it over.

1.Relationships For Life 38 Mr. David
2.Teachers Assistant 157 Ms. Wyatt
3.Photography 211 Mr. Gibson
4.Home

In our school, you either had three or four classes. This year I only had three, which meant I went home at about 1:10 PM. I was so glad I didn’t have four classes, it just meant one hour I had to spend with these people. So maybe I’m not a very social person? What good do people do anyway? Sure, they be good for a few laughs, but in the end they will always end up hurting you.

“Alright I want all the girls to write down their name on a piece of paper, fold it up, and stick it in that dudes hat!” he commanded, pointing to a boy, I knew to be Kyle. Everyone did as we were told and then Mr. David took the hat. After mixing it up, he passed it back to Kyle.

“Now I want all the guys to pick a paper, and say who you got,” he told Kyle.

“Kayla M,” he said opening up his piece.

“Raise your hand Kayla,” Mr. David called. A girl with blonde hair raised her hand and looked at Kyle, with a questionable look on her face.

“Do you two know each other?” he asked the two teens. They both shook their head no.

“Interesting. But don’t worry, you’re going to know each other like the back of your hand by the end of the semester,” he said. Everyone looked at each other with confusion written on their faces. What was this teacher up to?

“Pass the hat,” he said. Soon everyone was paired off and I was teamed up with a guy named Andrew that I knew from another class. We had never actually formally met, but I’d be lying if I said I never thought he was cute.

Mr. David had everyone sit with his or her partners, and that’s when things got awkward.

“For the next week you guys are going to spend class time, getting to know your partner and getting comfortable with them. We don’t have much else planned till then,” he concluded. I turned to Andrew and smiled softly.

“So…,” he began.

“So,” I replied.

“What are your other classes?” he asked, after a few minutes. I handed him my program card and he read over it, while I did the same to his.

“We have all the same classes,” he stated.

“Awesome,” I muttered.

“Do you play any sports?” he questioned.

“Not really, I mean, I ride horses. But that’s it. You play football right?” I responded. He nodded his head yes. An hour past and we didn’t get much further. We were so different that it was hard to keep a conversation going. I mean what were we supposed to talk about? I didn’t even really want to talk to him. Sure, he seemed nice, but I would prefer to just be by myself.

Just as class was about to end the teacher spoke up.

“Is there anything you guys noticed about your partners?” he smirked.

“Uh- we all have the same classes,” I answered.

“Correct! Start thinking about that,” he said as the bell rang.

*****

“You’re late again,” Andrew scolded as I walked up to our desk. Today was only our third day in class, and he was already starting to get on my nerves. Why couldn’t he just stay out of my business?

“And your point is?” I mumbled.

“Be on time,” he shrugged his shoulders.

“So how are all of my little conniving seniors? Anyone wake up with their clothes on from the night before, still drunk but strangely hung over? Anyone?” Mr. David asked walking in. He got no reply as people just chattered back and forth.

“Well I guess that was just me,” he joked. I loved his sense of humor. He was one of the few teachers that put up with all my sarcasm, and also one of the few teachers I actually liked.

“How well do you know your partner?” he asked.

“Not at all,” I answered.

“Well if you could use one word to describe him, what would that be?” he inquired.

“Uh- alive?” I guessed and everyone laughed.

“Alright let’s say there are five universal terms to describe kids in high school. Jock, Prom Queen, Geek, Loner, and…” he said.

“Slut?” I joked. He smirked at me, but wrote ‘Friendly’ instead.

“Considering that alive isn’t a category which word would you use to describe Andrew?” he asked.

“Jock, I guess,” I shrugged.

“Oh come on! I am so a geek. My best friend will personally vouch for me because he’s seen my grades,” he laughed.

“No offence but I fall more on the geek scale than you do. You’re a jock,” I stated.

“You are who your classmates see you as. Sometimes that can be good and sometimes that can be bad. But here’s the good news: that’s gonna change soon. Because as soon high school is over you can erase all those labels that you guys give each other,” he said and erased all the names he wrote on the board.

“Today you and your partner are going to be given a piece of paper with simple instructions. There are only five steps. Throughout the next hour and a half you two are going to go anywhere on campus and go do each step. At the end of the period, you are going to take a picture of your partner. This picture is going to represent how you see them. And at the end of the period I want you to tell me what you learned about your partner. Any questions?” he explained. No one raised their hand for questions.

“Alright then. Fly away little birdies,” he shooed.

“So where are we going?” I asked Andrew as we stepped out of the classroom.

“I don’t know. Let’s read the paper,” he suggested. I handed it over to him and he unfolded it.

“Step 1. Share something personal with your partner,” he read.

“Who goes first?” I asked, hoping it wouldn’t be me.

“I will,” he offered. Suddenly, he started walking away.

“Mind telling me where we’re going?” I questioned again as I caught up with him.

“The field,” he said. When we got there, we climbed to the top of the bleachers and sat down. No one was around so it was quiet. Too quiet for my liking.

“All right, about two years ago I was in the car with my brother, his best friend, and my best friend Connor. My brother Michael was speeding and we came to a sharp turn. The road still had ice on it and he lost control of the car. It flipped over eight times before coming to a stop. He died in that car crash. The weird thing is that not even a minute before we crashed, Conner put my seat belt on because Michael was speeding. If he wouldn’t have reached over and put it on then I would most likely be dead too,” he confessed.

It would be an understatement if I said I was shocked. This guy barely knew me and he was telling me something so personal.

“Wow, that must have been hard losing your brother like that. I know how it feels,” I sympathized.

“So what’s your personal?” he asked.

“Ok, my personal is her,” I said pulling out a photo from my journal in my bag. If he could open up to me about something so personal, than I could at least do the same for him.

“Who is she?” he asked.

“She was like my grandmother,” I replied.

“Was?” he asked confused.

“She died a couple months ago,” I explained.

“Every week my mother would drag me to church. I hated it. But every week I got to see her. And no matter how much I didn’t want to be there, no matter how much I thought I had someplace better to be, she made it all worth it. I remember she would give me these bone crushing hugs and they would literally leave me sore. On the first Christmas that I knew her, I gave her this tiny purple glass dragonfly. Little did I know that she loved dragonflies and the color purple. I always made her cupcakes or something homemade,” I remembered.

“But the thing was that because I never let anyone in, they never knew how much I loved her. I know she did, but no one else knew. So, no one expects me to be hurting. And it’s hard to act like everything is okay when it’s not,” I finished.

“So what’s next on the list?” I asked, trying to get my mind off of my grandma.

“Lighten up. Do an impression of a celebrity or a famous character,” he laughed.

“Let’s not and say we did,” I suggested.

“No! Come on! Try and guess who I am!” he exclaimed.

“My precious,” He said and did a funny laugh. I looked at him confused.

“You do a good Elmo,” I laughed.

“Oh,” He sighed.

“Was it supposed to be someone else?” I asked.

“Gollum from the Lord of The Rings,” He laughed.

“Oh,” I realized.

“Your turn,” he said. I sighed and got up.

“Say hello, to my little friend!” I said in a raw voice and used my fingers as a makeshift gun.

“Nice! Al Pacino!” he laughed.

“What’s next?” I asked still laughing.

“Admit something that worries you, or you’re afraid of. You go first,” he instructed.

“Something I’m afraid of…” I muttered to myself.

“I’m afraid of getting close to someone. I’m afraid that if I do, they’ll just end up hurting me. So I push everyone away and I stick to myself,” I confided.

“Maybe that’s why you’re so sarcastic,” he reasoned.

“Huh?” I asked.

“The sarcasm, it’s a giant wall you hind behind. Because otherwise people might see the real you, the you you’re afraid people won’t like. Or worse, the person they do like. The people you love are the people that can hurt you the most,” he said.

“I never thought about it that way. But I guess you’re right. I figure if I don’t expect anything, than I won’t be let down and I won’t be caught off guard. I mean I can chat with a few people. But as soon as someone irritates me or upsets me, I cut off all contact. What about you? What are you afraid of?” I said.

“I’m afraid of failing. Not just in school but in life too. I’m afraid I’m going to let the ones I love down. I try to be there for them and be what they need, but it’s like I can’t be everywhere at once. It’s like with my girlfriend. I try to be everything she needs to get through life, but I just don’t think I can be. She needs so much more than I can give her,” he said.

“Sometimes just being there for someone is enough. Just your simple presence can brighten someone’s day. Sometimes you don’t need words or actions, you just need silence and peace,” I said.

“This may sound weird, but I really like talking to you. You’re a great listener,” He smiled.

“You too,” I agreed. I really did like talking to him. It was nice change, since I tend to sway away for other people.

“Question number four, tell your partner a secret,” He read.

“Follow me,” I said simply. I lead him to the band room. Luckily, the band teacher didn’t have a first period so no one was there. I took a seat at the piano and he sat down next to me.

“I learned how to play the piano from my grandpa when I was really young. Whenever I need to relieve the stress all I have to do is play,” I explained. It took me a few seconds before I started to play because I was nervous. Playing in front of people was definitely not something I had ever been comfortable with.

Belief makes things real
Makes things feel, feel alright
Belief makes things true
Things like you, you and I
Tonight you rest in my mind
When you came to my defense
With a knife in the shape of your mouth
In the form of your body
With the wrath of a god
Oh you stood by me
Belief builds from scratch
It doesn’t have to relax
It doesn’t need space
Long live the king
And I’ll be the queen
The color of the grass
Tonight you rest in my mind
When you came to my defense
With a knife in the shape of your mouth
In the form of your body
With the wrath of a god
Oh you stood by me, Belief
I’m gonna yell it from the rooftops
I’ll wear a sign on my chest
That’s the least I can do
It’s the least I can do
Tonight you rest in my mind
When you came to my defense
With a knife in the shape of your mouth
In the form of your body
With the wrath of a god
Oh you stood by me
And I’ll stand by my belief


“Wow. I never knew you could play the piano, let alone sing. You’re amazing,” He beamed.

“Thanks,” I blushed.

“No one knows I can sing. And I like to keep it that way. In a way my music is the one thing that’s mine. It’s my comfort zone. I just don’t think I’m ready for people to know yet,” I explained.

“Your secret is safe with me,” He smiled.

“So what’s your secret?” I asked.

“You’ll see,” he smirked. Reluctantly, I followed him. We walked towards the football field and stopped at a small building to the side of it. Perched on the side of the building was a ladder leading to the roof.

“Ladies first,” he said and pointed to the ladder.

“Fine,” I groaned. Once I finished climbing the ladder, he came up too.

“Why are we here?” I asked looking around.

“This is my secret. This is where I come whenever I need to just be alone and think. Normally during games I’m down on the field. I get a lot of pressure from my dad to be perfect. Now that I’m his only living son, he wants me to have it all. It can get really overwhelming and sometimes I just need to get away. It’s quiet and relaxing,” he said. As I listened to him, I noticed how beautiful the view was.

“It’s beautiful,” I whispered.

“I’ve never told anyone I come up here,” he confided.

“Your secret is safe with me,” I promised.

“Number five: Where do you want to be in ten years,” I read.

“Well I hope in ten years my dad will learn to be less controlling, my best friend will be living his dream, and you’ll have a bunch of platinum albums,” he smirked. I smiled at the last comment.

“The question is about you doofus. Where do you plan to be in ten years?” I asked again.

“I know, but I think if everyone else’s dreams come true, then I’ll be fine. I would rather see them live out their dreams,” he said thoughtfully.

“That’s great that you want to be there for people so much. But you need to make time for yourself. You need to live out your dream too. Because if you don’t, you’ll end up regretting it. You deserve to live out your dream,” I smiled.

“Where do you want to be in ten years?” he asked.

“I want to be living in Kernville. I want to be a mom and have a family. I want a big family, so that not one child is ever alone,” I said.

“Only child?” he asked. I nodded my head yes.

“It’s just a fairy tale,” I said.

“Fairy tales just don’t happen in books. They can come true, you just have to believe in them,” he said.

The next couple of minutes we spent taking pictures. I took his on the top of the roof. All you could see was his face looking out towards the field with the background being the sky. Next, he took a black and white photo of me lying across the piano. Once we were done, we walked back to class. Each one of us went up to the front of the class and talked about what we learned about our partner.

“People think they know Andrew Williams, I thought I did. But I found out who he truly is. He is more than just some jock on the football team. He is more than just a nerd. Andrew Williams is a martyr,” I said.

“I spent the class time with Lennox Anderson. If you really knew Lennox then you would know that sarcasm is just a wall that she hides behind. And if you’re one of the lucky few to break down that wall, than you’ll be surprised by how much you like that person on the inside. Because that person is sweet and kind and perfect,” he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
The first chapter is up! This is an original story. Some of you might notice that I've been taking a few seens from different TV shows for inspiration. Please comment and subscribe! Tell me what you think about it and give me your honest opinion. If you like it or even love it please tell others about it. The story title was inspired by Matthew West's song 'You Know Where To Find Me'.

Edited on 7/8/2012.