Status: Updates will be SLOW but she's ACTIVE

Amor Vicissitudine

Viginti Tres.

I don’t know how long I’ve been curled up in Tony’s arms in this little hospital chair. I must’ve fallen asleep, cause when I looked up, Tony was out cold.

I looked over at my big brother, still laying there hooked up to all those machines, wondering if he’s really gonna make it, and if he’s really gonna be okay. I’m terrified this is where it’s gonna end. All I can do right now is hope to God he wakes up soon.

I’d just like to be told he can at least breathe on his own.. that machine doing it for him doesn’t exactly make me feel like it’s gonna get better. I listened closely to the flat rhythm of his false breaths.

That’s when I heard it.

I wasn’t entirely sure what the sound was.. Considering I’d heard a similar sound before, I tried not to get my hopes up. But this sound.. was different. It sounded almost…voluntary. He grunted a little bit in pain, and before I even knew what I was doing, I was right by the bed, holding onto his hand for dear life.

“Nurse! Nurse!” I called out, I swear he’s waking up.. if he chokes on this tube…

The nurse ran in shocked at what we were seeing.

Jaime was waking up. Slowly, but surely.

He began choking in a frenzy from the breathing tube still shoved down his throat and into his lungs.

“He can’t wake up now he’s going to choke!”

The nurse called for the doctor to come in, and when he arrived, he put something in his IV.

Slowly, he began falling back asleep.

“No! No he was almost awake! Why did you do that?!” I was in a panic. I was still on such bad terms with him.. He was finally coming back to me.. Then we lost him again.

“If your brother were to wake up at this moment, he would have choked on the breathing machine and that could cause the heart to speed up and pump too much blood, and that would not be good for the wound. We will remove the equipment now, he seems to be doing it on his own anyway. I’m going to have to ask you to step out for just a moment, you can return in a few minutes.”

I shook Tony awake because somehow he managed to continue sleeping through this commotion.

“What’s going on? What happened?” he asked in his sleepiest voice. “Jaime started to wake up-” That woke him up. “-but they had to put him back to sleep because he would have choked on the tube and caused more problems, so they’re taking that machine out of him & we have to leave the room in order to do so.”

Once we were out of the room, I just broke down. I fell back against the wall and slid all the way down and cried. Tony didn’t know what to do other than just sit with me and hold me.

“I don’t understand why this had to happen!” I broke through my sobs.

“Baby I know.. I know..” was all he could say. He was also on the verge of tears. We just sat there in eachother’s arms until the nurse came back out.

“I’m terribly sorry, but visiting hours are over for the night. You can come back tomorrow at 9 am.”

“Can’t family stay the night with him? I thought that was allowed!” I was still in tears.

“I’m sorry dear, this room doesn’t have that available. I am glad to tell you though, he is off the ventilator and is breathing on his own. If we’re lucky, he should be awake by tomorrow afternoon. You guys should go home. Get some sleep, I know that chair isn’t comfortable. Your brother is in good hands. Goodnight.”

Tony helped me up off the floor and walked me down the hall and into the elevator. It was silent. There was nothing to say. He just looked at me.

“They said he’s gonna be okay. Just like I said, Sicily. Jaime’s gonna be alright.” He attempted to smile but he knew nothing could make me feel better except a long hug from Jaime himself.

I just want him to be okay.

I want everything to be okay.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was written by the lovely Morgan who won the competition! I'll fix up all the who's its and what's its when I get the chance (Thats me speak for the details outside of the story lol)