Status: An idea I've had for a while now. Please give me feedback :)

If You Dare

Great, It's Required.

Just focus on the painting. They can't hurt you when you're painting, I think, splattering more red onto the canvas. The art room is the only place that I can go to escape at this bull shit school. My fingers are already covered in paint and the bell just started. I can almost feel Shelby's eyes drilling into the back of my head. She and her little cronies just can't leave me alone. First it was my Romanian accent that they didn't like, and now it's all of me.

I feel a thump on my back and turn slightly. Shelby and her friends are laughing and a piece of balled up paper is lying at my feet.

My fist tightens around the paintbrush in my hand and I turn back around, painting once again. A bloody little girl in the middle of the forest is what I see so far, but I never know what I'm painting. It takes it's own form. I adjust my gloves and my scarf quickly to make sure I have no exposed skin but my face. I can't risk anything, not after what happened to Mama and Papa.

Another piece of paper hits my back and I ignore it. Foot steps come towards me and there's a tap on my shoulder. I don't turn, I know that it's probably Shelby. The next thing I know, white paint gets thrown onto my painting.

The brush in my fingers snaps in half and I turn to see her standing there, laughing.

My anger overwhelms me and I start shouting, "What was that for?!"

I see fear flash through her eyes and snicker, shoving her out of my way and stomping towards the door.

"Alexandreina, get back here this instant and apologize to Shelby," the teacher calls.

I laugh and shove the door open, muttering, "I'll apologize when she does."

My thoughts keep trailing back and forth between how much I wanted Shelby dead and how much I wanted to be dead. I slide my hand into my pocket and pull out my cigarettes and lighter as I make my way into the school's courtyard.

I light a cigarette and lean against the brick wall. Why does everyone have to hate me because I'm different?

I look down at my covered up body. I laugh lightly to myself, inhaling a little smoke. My little "talent" is a piece of crap. I honestly don't want to read minds, and the fact that my skin has to touch the other person's is stupid. It's also the reason that I'm stuck with that abusive old jerk at home. I still don't know who or what it was that killed my parents, but I know it was for my "power", and that whatever killed them is probably after me still.

I stay in the courtyard for twenty more minutes until the final bell rings and it's time to go home.

"Attention students. I repeat, attention students. The school dance is tonight, and attendance is required from all eleventh and twelfth grade students. The theme is Midnight Masquerade, so everyone wear a mask! Thank you. You may all be dismissed," says the voice of the principal over the P.A.

I bite my lip from disgust and run off of the campus. Great, it's required that I go to this stupid dance and make a fool of myself. Nobody will even talk to me, I think, This will be one hell of a night.