Status: New chapter every week!

Mint Chocolate

12

'I may be drunk but I'm not the slightest bit stupid, I've seen her come out. No matter how much you've tried to hide her.'
I shiver ran down my spine, causing me to shudder. I bit down on my lip. How was it possible he knew about Maia? He hadn't seen her out with me before...not that I know of anyways. My breathing quickened and I tried to remain as calm as possible before plucking up the courage to approach him, his faces merely inches apart.
'Please, don't tell Ronnie. I'd rather have Maia have no dad at all than to have one that's not trustworthy and can walk out her life at any moment, she doesn't deserve it. She needs consistency.'
Jacky backed away. He stared at me, mouth slightly parted, chest rising with every breath as he exhaled through his slick, pink lips.
'Ronnie's...a dad?'
I stared it him.
'I-I was talking about you. How you're hiding another side of you that occasionally comes out, the side that's attracted to Ronnie. But this? Wow, I -' He shook his head, running a hand through his hair in disbelief.
My mouth formed a small 'o' shape. I looked down, linking my hands together.
'Jacky, I beg you. Don't tell him, don't say anything stupid.' I said worried about his unnatural tipsy state in which he might go over to Ronnie, telling him everything.
'Spirit, this is a pretty big thing you're hiding. Ronnie's a great friend of mine.' As much as I wanted to shout at him and tell him what state I was in when he left me, then maybe he'd understand that although Ronnie was a great friend of his it wasn't his business to be announcing this to him. I was planning on telling him eventually but I couldn't begin to imagine what his reaction would be if Jacky told him. I mean, I KNOW what Ronnie's like.
If I hadn't accidentally have met Ronnie again for the first time in a few years, then I wouldn't have even considered finding him and telling him.
'But you -' He coughed. 'You have my word.'
'Thank you so much.' I whispered.
'You have no say in this whatsoever...but, I'm taking you out...we're going to talk about this?' He nodded, the last bit with a slight raise to his voice. Almost a question.
I nodded.
Jacky pushed his hair back and rest his elbows on the table, still surprised.
'I suppose I should take your number.'
I took his number down before I left and he took mine in return. I was almost certain he was going to be the one to text first as I had no idea what to say to him.

I got home that night still a little shaken up that someone knows. Hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I climbed into my cold, abandoned bed at last at the thought of Jacky knowing about Maia and how my stupidity could cost me a lot. All the things that could happen between me and Ronnie's rather...odd relationship. We communicated in some way, not like we used to.
I mean, it's kind of a rule to be awkward around exes.
All the things that could've happened since we broke up, Ronnie had no idea what I'd been through.
After lying in bed for a good half an hour, I reluctantly dragged myself out of the bed which had no warmed with body heat and kept me comfortable. The cold against my skin caused small bumps to rise and I winced at the cold floor as I quickly hopped down stairs to the kitchen. I reached for a cup and let the tap run for a few seconds till the water was slightly cooler and placed my cup underneath, filling it, the water sloshing everywhere until the water filled the cup high enough that the water splashed down the sides wetting my hands. Raising the cup to my lips, I tilted the crystal liquid back wetting my dry mouth and running a cool, moist path down my parch throat.
'You're still awake.' Leah said appearing suddenly, making me jump a little. She had her phone in her hand and she'd looked as if she'd been straight texting for the past few days. I hadn't realized she was awake earlier when I went to check on Maia before I went to bed.
I watched her as she walked closer, her eyes never leaving the phone. I drank the rest of my water quickly before putting the cup back into the sink.
'Aren't you going to tell me what happened?'
I yawned and walked past her. 'Tired, I'll tell you some other time.'

Sunday night I spent in sweats, my hair in a bun and my glasses on. Despite being cold, I helped myself to a bowl of ice-cream. Mint chocolate. The weather had taken a turn, it was wet and raining causing us to lounge around the house. Boy, bad weather sure triggers one's laziness. Sitting cross legged on the floor, I spooned some ice cream into my mouth, then spinning the spoon and letting it hang from my tongue. I sucked on it as I typed the name of the gym in the Google search bar accidentally misspelling it.
'You typed it in wrong.' Leah said as she sipped her hot chocolate noisily. I looked up at her.
'I am aware of that.' I said bringing my leg onto the sofa, knee against chest.
'Well, correct it then!' She said pointing to the screen on my laptop causing yellow and violet waves to appear where she jabbed her finger.
'Hey! Stop it, Google knows what I'm talking about anyways.'
'It wouldn't have to if you typed it correctly in the first place.' Sarcasm edging her voice.
'What the hell is wrong with you?' I asked her, shocked at the tone of voice she'd been using along with her snarky comments.
'I don't know, maybe it decided to change because it's best friend didn't tell her about what her happened with her ex boyfriend last night.'
A loud laugh escaped my mouth filled with melting green ice cream as I threw my head back.
'Nothing happened!' I threw my arms up and let them fall back down against the sofa. 'Oh, wait.'I said remembering something.
'I accidentally told Jacky about Maia.'
Leah put her mug down, her hand wrapped around its warm surface and looked up at me. She looked up at me. Her voice was even calmer.
'Oh, my god. How'd it happen?' She asked.
'Oh, it was my stupid mistake. I assumed he knew about Maia and brought her up.'
'How could you do something so stupid? You idiot.' She slapped me on the head. 'He gets drunk and tells Ronnie, then what?'
'No, seriously. He really did say things that made me believe he knew.'
'Well, next time you can- you've clicked on the wrong thing. Go back, go back, go back.'
'Wait! I'm getting there.'

*
♠ ♠ ♠
:)